• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

I just don't get how Defoe is Mr Teflon. Crouch was the same.
Abuse is ditched upon our other strikers but for some reason these guys can go a dozen or more without scoring but the fans don't seem to have a problem.
I don't have a problem with Defoe as long as we are winning and/or he is going close.

I just don't get how Defoe is Mr Teflon. Crouch was the same.
Abuse is ditched upon our other strikers but for some reason these guys can go a dozen or more without scoring but the fans don't seem to have a problem.
I don't have a problem with Defoe as long as we are winning and/or he is going close.

Maybe we read different threads but I've seen lots of hate directed towards JD on GG.

Typical Defoe performance, off-side about 20 times, scores 2 tap ins, doesn't do anything else

Typical Defoe performance, off-side about 20 times, scores 2 tap ins, doesn't do anything else

You might have described a typical Defoe performance from three or four years ago but he has a lot more to his game now

You might have described a typical Defoe performance from three or four years ago but he has a lot more to his game now

Yeah, he missed out the parts about hogging the ball, shooting from rediculous areas, not playing simple passes for other players in better positions, not being able to place a shot and just hitting it as hard as he can and having the movement of a bollard.

Hopefully now he has scored he wont be quite so desperate next week, if he can bag on tuesday itll help his confidence too

Indeed. As England's main forward, the limited problems he managed to cause the plummer and trolley boy who were marking him was quite concerning.

International football is on the whole easier than club football. Two goals against San Marino isn't anything to write home about.

International football is on the whole easier than club football. Two goals against San Marino isn't anything to write home about.

Yes, San Marino were pretty woeful but it was still 2 competitive international goals for Defoe last night and they all count.

He's now on 19 goals from 53 full international appearances for England (32 of which were as a substitute).

Defoe has now played 2,262 minutes for England and has a strike-rate of a goal for every 119 minutes played.

By any standards, that's very impressive

We all know Ade is a better player than Defoe. He has many more attributes. The trouble is he just doesnt apply himself.

To continue the car analogy, I think on balance I would prefer a Ka that runs all day and occasionally outperforms expectations (Defoe) rather than a flashy Italian sports car which spends all the time in the garage (Ade). Maybe a better compromise might be a Saab that also runs and while not great is better than nothing (Dempsey).

Ultimately I would like Levy to buy us an Aston...........

Yes, San Marino were pretty woeful but it was still 2 competitive international goals for Defoe last night and they all count.

He's now on 19 goals from 53 full international appearances for England (32 of which were as a substitute).

Defoe has now played 2,262 minutes for England and has a strike-rate of a goal for every 119 minutes played.

Not by international standards it's not.

Not by international standards it's not.

I'd have to disagree with you there, I'm afraid.

They reckon a goal every other game is a decent return for a striker and Defoe has performed much better than that.

In fact, Wayne "World Class" Rooney has only managed a goal for every 175 minutes played for England.

I'd have to disagree with you there, I'm afraid.

They reckon a goal every other game is a decent return for a striker and Defoe has performed much better than that.

In fact, Wayne "World Class" Rooney has only managed a goal for every 175 minutes played for England.

That's fine.

Wonder how often Rooney is dropped against the big teams compared to how often Defoe is.

I'd be willing to bet he's played the majority of his England career against minnows. Added to International defenses being on the whole worse than Premier League defenses and you'll have a far easier time being a striker.

Four against Andorra, two against Trinidad and Tobago, one against Moldova, two against San Marino, one against Kazakhstan

That's half his international goals right there. Powerhouse.

Last edited:

That's fine.

Wonder how often Rooney is dropped against the big teams compared to how often Defoe is.

I'd be willing to bet he's played the majority of his England career against minnows. Added to International defenses being on the whole worse than Premier League defenses and you'll have a far easier time being a striker.

Four against Andorra, two against Trinidad and Tobago, one against Moldova, two against San Marino, one against Kazakhstan

That's half his international goals right there. Powerhouse.

And the other half of his goals were against decent opposition such as Italy, Holland and a hat trick in a World Cup qualifier v Bulgaria.

Playing in big games is all well and good if you are performing in them. Barring when he broke onto the scene in 2004, Rooney has only scored 1 goal in a major tournament. The winner v Ukraine in the Euros last year. Defoe has 1 major tournament goal in most likely 2 or 3 games. All Rooney's other goals came in the same qualifiers and friendlies that Defoe has played in.

No matter which way you look at it Defoe's international goal record is very decent.

supports the idea that he is best as an impact sub really.

And the other half of his goals were against decent opposition such as Italy, Holland and a hat trick in a World Cup qualifier v Bulgaria.

Playing in big games is all well and good if you are performing in them. Barring when he broke onto the scene in 2004, Rooney has only scored 1 goal in a major tournament. The winner v Ukraine in the Euros last year. Defoe has 1 major tournament goal in most likely 2 or 3 games. All Rooney's other goals came in the same qualifiers and friendlies that Defoe has played in.

No matter which way you look at it Defoe's international goal record is very decent.

Ah yes, those 'World beaters' Bulgaria. So he has three goals against decent teams? Immense.

No, His International record is not particularly good. In fact i'd ignore International records entirely if i was trying to show how good a striker is, just because there is too great a range in the abilities of teams on the international stage.

Last edited:
Back