• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

IMO, Defoe has improved greatly under AVB. He looks much sharper in front of goal nowadays compared to past few years. Previously he would need 3 chances to score a goal. But he looks like scoring everytime he gets a chance now. I think he has matured a lot under AVB as he also tries to assist others in attack now. But too bad he is already 30 now. Can see Levy selling him if we get a good offer for him.

IMO, Defoe has improved greatly under AVB. He looks much sharper in front of goal nowadays compared to past few years. Previously he would need 3 chances to score a goal. But he looks like scoring everytime he gets a chance now. I think he has matured a lot under AVB as he also tries to assist others in attack now. But too bad he is already 30 now. Can see Levy selling him if we get a good offer for him.

I can actually see Defoe seeing out his career here, I think he'll always have something to offer. I think as he gets older too he'll realise he can't start every game and I don't think he'll mind being benched and coming on etc. as long as he is apart of the team. I see the same from Lennon too.

I can actually see Defoe seeing out his career here, I think he'll always have something to offer. I think as he gets older too he'll realise he can't start every game and I don't think he'll mind being benched and coming on etc. as long as he is apart of the team. I see the same from Lennon too.

And i hope he does,if he plays here on a regular basis for another couple of seasons he could overtake the great Cliif jones as our forth highest goalscorer of all time.

Agreed, JD is here for a good while longer...he is a player who has adapted as he's got older IMO...delighted for him, despite the odd blip I think he generally has always shown a fine attitude...

As for Torres, one of the single greatest things is watching those tossers strive to squeeze something from Torres which clearly isn't there. It's magnificent. Interesting talk on 5 Live yesterday where Michael Owen was speaking about the importance of adapting and pondering how Torres could change? I would suggest he 'could' become more of a Berba-type player, but I don't think he's good enough to be anything more than a mid-table player in that specific role!!!! Thoughts?

Agreed, JD is here for a good while longer...he is a player who has adapted as he's got older IMO...delighted for him, despite the odd blip I think he generally has always shown a fine attitude...

As for Torres, one of the single greatest things is watching those tossers strive to squeeze something from Torres which clearly isn't there. It's magnificent. Interesting talk on 5 Live yesterday where Michael Owen was speaking about the importance of adapting and pondering how Torres could change? I would suggest he 'could' become more of a Berba-type player, but I don't think he's good enough to be anything more than a mid-table player in that specific role!!!! Thoughts?

I agree. It's no even the fact that he's not scoring but his all around game is totally brick and non existant. He offers absolutley nothing to Chelski in terms of goals and contribution to general play but Chelski are going to be a big problem if they manage to get a half decent striker in January.

It's interesting that Defoe and Sturridge are both English strikers who were given a lot of faith by AVB; both can divide opinion amongst their fans, both are considered 'greedy' at times and both were played in 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formations under AVB.

Thoughts?

It's interesting that Defoe and Sturridge are both English strikers who were given a lot of faith by AVB; both can divide opinion amongst their fans, both are considered 'greedy' at times and both were played in 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formations under AVB.

Thoughts?

In both cases there has been lack of alternatives IMO.

I think that the big difference is that Defoe has got a run of games for the first time in ages.

We will only sell him if we sign someone that AVB rates as a better player so it's not a bad situation to be in.

I agree he's been in the form of his life so far this season.

Defoe the Best Since Falcao - AVB

Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe sits alongside Atletico Madrid's Radamel Falcao as one of Europe's elite strikers, according to manager Andre Villas-Boas

Defoe has netted 10 goals in 16 starts in all competitions this season, following his double in the win over West Ham United on Sunday, a beginning to the campaign which has seen him eclipse Teddy Sheringham as the club's eighth highest-ever goalscorer.

Villas-Boas worked with Falcao during his solitary trophy-laden season at FC Porto, as the Columbian netted 39 goals, while since the 26 year old has gone on to become one of the world's most converted strikers having scored 38 times in 2012.

And such is Defoe's form in the 2012/13 campaign, Villas-Boas believes he now sits at the top table of strikers on the continent.

"It makes things easier to work with because you don't have to teach a lot, he knows more than you and he knows more how to score goals, he's been doing it for all his life.

"I'd put him alongside Falcao. I don't have a lot of experience, but the experience that I have is with a couple of strikers but I'd put him up there with the best."

Despite finishing as Tottenham's second top goalscorer last season, Defoe played second fiddle to loanee Emmanuel Adebayor, however roles are reversed this term, with the Togolese forward having struggled to cement his place in the side following his permanent switch from Emirates Marketing Project in the summer.

Amid the verve and pace of Spurs under Villas-Boas, Adebayor's approach has been accused of being too lethargic, and the 35-year-old boss says Defoe's all-action style makes him a valuable asset.

"He smells every cross, every opportunity he's there to tap it in," the ex-Chelsea boss added. "Plus he has the ability to turn defenders and still has the pace in him to cause chaos. I think we saw that the other day against West Ham.

"Players of his experience they learn how to do other things better incase they lose their pace. They work more on their anticipation and knowing their rivals on their experience and I think that has been the case with Jermain.

"When games are as difficult are as that game was going in the first half you need players to unlock the game and like most of opportunities it's from an individual moment of brilliance.

"I say the same with Falcao, sometimes you think he wouldn't be there to reach a cross and he'd appear from out of nowhere and on Jermain the same. It's moments of brilliance that turn games.

"I was very, very fortunate to work with the best but I certainly remember Jermain and Falcao."

----------------------

High praise indeed, and it's good to know that he rates him highly and not only picking him due to a lack of alternatives.

:eek:

gotta do wonders for Defoe's confidence that !

i have been a critic of Defoe in the past, more so his overall contribution than ability - but he's been here a long time and scored many a goal and i like having him around, a proper Spur of the modern times.

Thoughts?
I don't know what is going on with Sturridge. I saw some beautiful play from him during the Olympics but I also heard AVB screaming at him when he was at Chelsea. He is not involved much this season.

I don't know what is going on with Sturridge. I saw some beautiful play from him during the Olympics but I also heard AVB screaming at him when he was at Chelsea. He is not involved much this season.

It's the same issue as Walcott, no?

Seems like a decent payer on the wing, however has a hissy fit and wants to be the main central striker.

It's the same issue as Walcott, no?

Seems like a decent payer on the wing, however has a hissy fit and wants to be the main central striker.

No I like to bathe in custard. Walcott is a great player who creates and scores goals, Sturridge is a reserve. If he gets picked..what does he do? I think there is a good player there but he needs a good manager.

No I like to bathe in custard. Walcott is a great player who creates and scores goals, Sturridge is a reserve. If he gets picked..what does he do? I think there is a good player there but he needs a good manager.

Er.. So because Sturridge is in your view a reserve he can't create and score goals? His loan spell at Bolton proved that he can, the first half a season at chelsea last season also proved he can.

AVB tended to stick him on the right of a 4-3-3, similar to what happens to Walcott at Arsenal..

Walcott hasn't really been first choice at Arsenal this season.. just like Sturridge at Chelsea..

Both players have been whining in the media about their lack of opportunities in the central role they want to play...

Whilst their play styles differ, their current mentalities are pretty much identical, neither of them are happy with their current role and i could see both of them moving to different clubs by next summer.

really AVB sounds like redknapp when he bigs up a player.

i'd be happy to swap defoe+10 mil for Falcao anyday.

This could be Defoe's season, remember a few seasons ago when he was on fire then suffered a broken foot ? I forget who Arry got to replace him, but when he came back, he'd lost his edge. This run he's had has been great for him and us, looong may it continue - time is not on his side, but he's taking this opportunity with both hands.

If he can score enough goals, and in the important games, I think he'd have to be considered a legend, even though the purists might disagree. He's been with us twice in his career, and he's always nailed his name to the Spurs flag, good on him.

Back