• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Except for the countless 'might have to leave in January to save my career' articles just about every season after 3 consectuive starts on the bench.

This thread starts on one of this - have a look at the OP

Personally, I think if a bigger club came in - he'd be off in an instant, much like Keane did and this loyal flimflam is exactly that. He already did it once with Pompey.

Its a short career and I would like to think most footballers want to play football (perhaps not winston bogarde) so as the years pass, seeing too much of the bench would naturally play on his mind more. Given this its perfectly reasonable to want to play (and not just club football), if that means somewhere other than tottenham than i can understand him speaking out.

He did move (sensibly) when way down the pecking order and not to a bigger club. + What Robbie Keane did has no bearing on what Defoe may do.

Perhaps we're as good as he can achieve due to the limitations i pointed out in my other post.

What your opinion on him Arcy, is he a bit too Android for you?

A1271.jpg

Hardly renowned for his work-rate, tracking back or assists, was he?

The interesting thing about Jermain Defoe is that he scored 64 goals in 177 appearances during his first spell with Tottenham from 2004-2008.

And he's scored 64 goals in 140 appearances so far during his second spell with us from 2009-2012.

In other words, he's actually getting better.

The greatest striker i have ever seen, i was lucky enough to see him play many times and if those that think defoe gets offside to much you should have seen how many goals Jimmy had ruled offside.

A1271.jpg

Hardly renowned for his work-rate, tracking back or assists, was he?

The interesting thing about Jermain Defoe is that he scored 64 goals in 177 appearances during his first spell with Tottenham from 2004-2008.

And he's scored 64 goals in 140 appearances so far during his second spell with us from 2009-2012.

In other words, he's actually getting better.

Either that, or the team around him have gotten better.

If we were to sell Defoe or Adebayor in January-how much do you think they would sell for and who do you think would buy either?

If we were to sell Defoe or Adebayor in January-how much do you think they would sell for and who do you think would buy either?

Adebayor cant move clubs twice in one year by FIFA rules.
Defoe is not gonna be sold they way he is playing.

Which generally tend to cancel each other out. Which means starts v goals is usually fairly close to minutes v goals. And on that he'd still be closer 1 in 3 in the league than 1 in 2. In reality, I think he goes on runs where he is a 1 in 2 striker but he'll also have considerable barren spells where he's more like 1 in 4. So his average ends up about 1 in 2.5. As was said... average. Bent had a better strike rate and yet nearly everyone could see the point with him: goals weren't enough. What else did he contribute? At least not enough to be a regular starter anyway.

Sorry but your maths make no sense at all.

Not playing 90 mins, by either being taken off or not staring do not cancel each out. His appearances stats are made up of both, it goes down as an appearances if you start or come on as a sub

Adebayor cant move clubs twice in one year by FIFA rules.
Defoe is not gonna be sold they way he is playing.

Is that rule about Ade right?
But, hypothetically speaking how much are they worth and who would buy?
If Crouch is worth £12 mill I would suggest a similar sum for JD. Who would buy him, though?
Hard to put a value on Ade or suggest a club. Funny that because he is so good for us.

Out of interest - how come whenever a player does well we automatically go into hypothetical situations about a) his value b) selling him and c) who would buy him?

Thats not a top club mentality - in fact thats may well be a Levy mentality (he is a businessman though we are fans)

Out of interest - how come whenever a player does well we automatically go into hypothetical situations about a) his value b) selling him and c) who would buy him?

Thats not a top club mentality - in fact thats may well be a Levy mentality (he is a businessman though we are fans)

People tend to do it with players they are not a fan of, to try and show that no other team would seriously consider buying player 'x', therefore how is he good enough for us?

It's just a bit of fun. What else is anybody talking about?

OK, just for you-how much would you take for Dempsey or Sigg and who would buy them?

It's just a bit of fun. What else is anybody talking about?

OK, just for you-how much would you take for Dempsey or Sigg and who would buy them?

Wasnt aiming it at you dude. It is a tendency though that people have I suppose. Its not just this board but even a couple of my mates which is strange because there arent any fans of other clubs - who I know - that talk like that. They dont even mention selling their players except the uber brick ones.

I would give both to Liverpool plus 5m...

(Although Dempseys performance did impress me a lot yesterday which im glad he did)

Spurs - maybe youre correct about the whole if he is valued by others then he must be good mentality

Wasnt aiming it at you dude. It is a tendency though that people have I suppose. Its not just this board but even a couple of my mates which is strange because there arent any fans of other clubs - who I know - that talk like that. They dont even mention selling their players except the uber brick ones.

That is actually a fair point. I myself think more than I should about value for money instead of ..fudge it..let's break the bank and go for..I dunno RVP with no resale value.
Fergie does and United are top of the EPL.

That is actually a fair point. I myself think more than I should about value for money instead of ..fudge it..let's break the bank and go for..I dunno RVP with no resale value.
Fergie does and United are top of the EPL.

I know its a Defoe thread so I dont want to go too in-depth about football and finances but we as spurs fans are fairly sensible and know that we cant afford the RVPs of this world but we also think way too much about the finances of it.

What im getting at is there is a lot of talk on here about selling Defoe, Dawson, Thudd etc but actually they contribute to a squad. What happens if we sell all of them? then what? Are we really gonna be able to replace them with significant improvement especially when we barely have enough finances to compete for first team players let alone squad players. Defoe is on course to score 20 this season - Defoe may well outscore RVP - what price can you put on Defoe then? You sell him for 10m then to replace 20 goals you could well be looking at having to buy a 30m player (finances we dont have).

I know its a Defoe thread so I dont want to go too in-depth about football and finances but we as spurs fans are fairly sensible and know that we cant afford the RVPs of this world but we also think way too much about the finances of it.

What im getting at is there is a lot of talk on here about selling Defoe, Dawson, Thudd etc but actually they contribute to a squad. What happens if we sell all of them? then what? Are we really gonna be able to replace them with significant improvement especially when we barely have enough finances to compete for first team players let alone squad players. Defoe is on course to score 20 this season - Defoe may well outscore RVP - what price can you put on Defoe then? You sell him for 10m then to replace 20 goals you could well be looking at having to buy a 30m player (finances we dont have).

Spot on.

right now i wouldnt swap Defoe for Torres.........imagine saying that a few years ago :eek:

Sorry but your maths make no sense at all.

Not playing 90 mins, by either being taken off or not staring do not cancel each out. His appearances stats are made up of both, it goes down as an appearances if you start or come on as a sub

Try reading the 2nd sentence after that first one! I agree about appearances v goals not being a very accurate representation. I was saying starts v goals usually being fairly close to minutes v goals. Because the minutes gained or lost from subbed on or off tend to cancel each other out. And obviously starts just count starts, not all appearances.

I've actually just checked and he does far better on that front than I'd thought but he might be some exception to the rule as I'm also surprised at how many sub appearances he's made (career wise, not just at Spurs): 100+! But either way, starts v goals is certainly more reliable than appearances v goals.

Last edited:
Back