• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

You really are quite obsessed with Ade, aren't you?

I deliberately moved the quote in here so posters could discuss JD and not Ade.

Hi pot, meet my friend kettle, he's black too.

Just pointing out that Defoe was our best striker last season whilst you try once again to make your bloke look good and claim Defoe gets an easy ride when it's quite the opposite.

Hi pot, meet my friend kettle, he's black too.

Just pointing out that Defoe was our best striker last season whilst you try once again to make your bloke look good and claim Defoe gets an easy ride when it's quite the opposite.
You are talking about Ade again. This is the Defoe thread.

Anywaaaaaayyyy

Does anyone think AVB might start him against West Ham? He's got a good record against them. Personally I think he needs to stick with Soldado until he gets a couple more goals (from open play).

JD is bolted on to start against West Ham. I would have started him yesterday. His form is nearly always good early in the season.

Which will be harder out of Anzhi and West ham?

I'd play Soldado against Anzhi and then Defoe against West Ham.

Which will be harder out of Anzhi and West ham?

I'd play Soldado against Anzhi and then Defoe against West Ham.

Think that is what I do too. As I have said in another thread, if we can get a valuable win away against Anzhi and then follow that up with 4-6 points in the double header with Sheriff then we can render the last two fixtures (Tromso a and Anzhi h) almost dead rubbers. Both of those fixtures come at the beginning and middle of a very busy period for us and prior to important home fixtures against Manchester United and Liverpool so getting qualified early is going to be vitally important.

In addition, Defoe nearly always scores against West Ham and loves doing so. Playing him from the start would be a very wise move imo.

Anywaaaaaayyyy

Does anyone think AVB might start him against West Ham? He's got a good record against them. Personally I think he needs to stick with Soldado until he gets a couple more goals (from open play).

I feel for Soldado a lot. He is just the sort of striker we needed a couple of seasons ago, but with the current way we play he isn't getting the required service. If we had him when Bale and Lennon were tearing up the wings as traditional wide men he'd score a bloody hatful!

Just what, exactly, has Defoe got to do in order to deserve a start in the Premier League?

Nothing as i don't think he should start ahead of Soldado ever (in the league). Defoe is being opportunities to score goals and is scoring which is great whilst Soldado hasn't been fed in anywhere near the amount Defoe has. The game where Soldao was 'fed in' was the Europa game he started and he scored 2 goals.

I was Soldado's biggest critic before we signed him because i knew what type of striker he is. I wanted someone that doesn't depend to that extreme level on supply from his teammates to be effective but that was before we signed Lamela and Eriksen. Now we've signed those 2 i'm very happy with Soldado (who as i've said before has been better in terms of general play than i expected). He needs time and he'll be fine.

Nothing as i don't think he should start ahead of Soldado ever (in the league). Defoe is being opportunities to score goals and is scoring which is great whilst Soldado hasn't been fed in anywhere near the amount Defoe has. The game where Soldao was 'fed in' was the Europa game he started and he scored 2 goals.

I was Soldado's biggest critic before we signed him because i knew what type of striker he is. I wanted someone that doesn't depend to that extreme level on supply from his teammates to be effective but that was before we signed Lamela and Eriksen. Now we've signed those 2 i'm very happy with Soldado (who as i've said before has been better in terms of general play than i expected). He needs time and he'll be fine.

Defoe is scoring goals because of the positions he gets into. Soldado just isn't picking up those positions during the game. Saw the best example of it yesterday, Townsend ran at people, made his way past one or two challenges and passed to soldado.. who was over on the right hand side, he then crossed it towards Paulinho..

Sorry, but if you're a 'Fox in the box' striker then you have to stay in the centre.

For me Soldado just hasn't had as good movement as Defoe has thus far. I am hoping he will improve, however judging them solely on the games we have played this season Defoe has been the better striker by a clear distance.

And i'm not even that big a fan of Defoe.

Defoe is scoring goals because of the positions he gets into. Soldado just isn't picking up those positions during the game. Saw the best example of it yesterday, Townsend ran at people, made his way past one or two challenges and passed to soldado.. who was over on the right hand side, he then crossed it towards Paulinho..

Sorry, but if you're a 'Fox in the box' striker then you have to stay in the centre.

For me Soldado just hasn't had as good movement as Defoe has thus far. I am hoping he will improve, however judging them solely on the games we have played this season Defoe has been the better striker by a clear distance.

And i'm not even that big a fan of Defoe.

What? his movement is light years ahead of Defoe's. Are we forgetting countless games last season where Defoe was literally invisible and offered diddly squat in terms of general play because he has a few cup goals? Soldado has surpassed anything Defoe did in terms of 'movement' last season already.

This season he's done well in the cups...well done. Soldado also done well in the cup game...i don't really care about cup games much to be totally honest. Soldado's movement is extremely smart, he knows when to pull off the cb, he knows when to drop deep, he also knows when to pass and shoot. Defoe on the other hand has no clue when to pass or shoot but most are blinded by this cup run....give him an extended run in the first X1 in league games and i'm certain people will be pleading for him to not start.

Last edited:

and you're saying Soldado crossing to Paulinho was bad? what about when Soldado lost his defender and was waiting for a pull back from Paulinho to make it 2-0? obviously there will be times where he wonders..that isn't a bad thing.

What? his movement is light years ahead of Defoe's. Are we forgetting countless games last season where Defoe was literally invisible and offered diddly squat in terms of general play because he has a few cup goals? Defoe has surpassed anything Defoe did in terms of 'movement' last season already.

This season he's done well in the cups...well done. Soldado also done well in the cup game...i don't really care about cup games much to be totally honest. Soldado's movement is extremely smart, he knows when to pull off the cb, he knows when to drop deep, he also knows when to pass and shoot. Defoe on the other hand has no clue when to pass or shoot but most are blinded by this cup run....give him an extended run in the first X1 in league games and i'm certain people will be pleading for him to not start.

Well yes, as I said I was judging them on the games we had played this season, anything about last season is largely irrelevant. Form is based on recent games.

Soldado has done alright, if I was to choose a player on form it would have to be Defoe.

and you're saying Soldado crossing to Paulinho was bad? what about when Soldado lost his defender and was waiting for a pull back from Paulinho to make it 2-0? obviously there will be times where he wonders..that isn't a bad thing.

I'm saying soldado not being in the box is bad.

I forget, how many goals did he score in the league last year from outside the box?

I'm saying soldado not being in the box is bad.

I forget, how many goals did he score in the league last year from outside the box?

None...you don't have to tell me that i know his limitations.

Until Eriksen gets more games to get used to the way we play and Lamela is eventually put into the starting X1 then i'm happy with Soldado doing this for the time being. It's not ideal but he wants to get involved in general play which i commend. Besides even poachers occasionally wonder around.

I find it weird Defoe love and soldado hate. Soldados movement and team play is excellent, just needs the goals, which will come clearly. I love Defoe, but people are being so short sighted, Defoe has never scored 20 goals in a season and he never will, he'll always look great against weak opposition but never looks good against great teams and never consistently against anyone. Far too limited. If soldado had been playing in the Europa and league cup he'd have scored more goals too, but of Defoe was playing in the league we wouldn't look anywhere near as good.

Back