• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Right now I'm so tinkled off with Adebayor and Defoe that I would play almost anyone instead of them.

I can't see how Naughton or Verts or anyone could perform worse.

Or we could play 4-5-1 with just Bale up top.

But playing with these jokers is basically playing with ten men in every single game and will cost us an EL trophy and 4th place probably.

They have been really awful. As bad as Pavlyuchenko at his weakest and most disinterested.

We should have bought in January. The argument that buying a striker in Jan is a risk doesn't wash with me. Every striker is a risk and it's a risk we should have taken especially considering the situation with the AFCN and Ade. Only Bale's miraculous form is saving us from mid table obscurity. Everytime I see a hard tackle go in on Bale I see the season potentially go up in a puff of smoke.

I'd say Defoe's head is on the block more than Ade but only as he would be easier sell.

This is a very big headache for us now. Defoe would have been a good choice for Basel and I'd have backed him to score one or two. I'd say save Ade for Everton. He can't play well in both, he'd have to trot around against Basel to have a good game left in him for Sunday.

I'd start Dempsey if 100% fit, if not, I'd stick Coulthirst up there, but that's not gonna happen obviously.

We should have bought in January. The argument that buying a striker in Jan is a risk doesn't wash with me. Every striker is a risk and it's a risk we should have taken especially considering the situation with the AFCN and Ade. Only Bale's miraculous form is saving us from mid table obscurity. Everytime I see a hard tackle go in on Bale I see the season potentially go up in a puff of smoke.

I'd say Defoe's head is on the block more than Ade but only as he would be easier sell.

This, this and this!

I would not bet on Defoe scoring against the girl guides, at least Ade makes us more fluid up front with his movement whereas Defoe offers nothing, this is a chance for someone else to step up or even a tactical change of some sort that will bring us some advantages, lets hope so, this is where AVB can earn his money it will be an exciting end to the season.

Bale was competing for hoofed aerial balls against Arsenal and Liverpool - it was a horrific sight. Seemed to be a stop put to that madness against Swansea at least.

He'll start against Basel I've no doubt. But I would honestly like a player to approach the Basel captain and explain to him that if Bale is injured by a reckless challenge by any member of your team, that player will be crippled to the point that he may never walk again let alone play football. I'd designate Livermore for the task.

Defoe seems to regularly pick up injuries these days

I'm wondering (speculating to be fair) whether this is down to all the pre-season work he did, and whether now his body is more fatigued because of perhaps the specific nature of that work? I have no idea, and frankly, i was delighted he was outing an extra shift in during the summer but it could prove to not have been especially wise???

I'm wondering (speculating to be fair) whether this is down to all the pre-season work he did, and whether now his body is more fatigued because of perhaps the specific nature of that work? I have no idea, and frankly, i was delighted he was outing an extra shift in during the summer but it could prove to not have been especially wise???

Or just his age catching up with him.

He's in his early 30s now, which is the time other players of his ilk (small players for whom acceleration was a key part of their game) like Lineker, Owen, Andy Cole started getting problems and called it a day.

He's a fit bloke so I'm not sure it is age. At the start of the season he was playing superbly well, probably down to the the additional work he did over the summer. But now he has reverted to his old self and ye olde Defoe goes a few games without scoring and resorts to..
(a) shooting from everywhere
(b) hitting every shoot as hard as he can
(c) playing for himself only
(d) all of the above
I actually really like Defoe but what we are seeing now is no different from what has gone on before. This is a repeating pattern and a cycle he can only break out of by scoring a goal or two thus relaxing back into his 'A' game. I'm not sure we'll see the A-team Defoe again this season considering his latest injury so we're now relying on Ade to break out of whatever funk he's in for a t least a few games.

Defoe in St Lucia

A3648_zpsa01ec19c.jpg

Top man!

Re: Defoe in St Lucia

What is that? A centre for ants?

How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?

The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

Nah, seriously fair play to Defoe, always good to see when people can afford to make a difference and then they actually do take action to make a difference. Good work!!

So many footballers do stuff like this, its brilliant, Bellamy, Ade, Defoe, Drogba are 4 I know of, probably far more..

Good on them

To be fair to Defoe he does a hell of a lot of charity work before at home and abroad... I always thought his agent(s) (which have changed a few times) have done him a diservice by not making it more widely known.. He would have had a lot higher profile and generally better thought of if the public see this rather than the kiss and tells he has got himself involved in.

If I had money to give to charitable causes, I'd consider doing something in St. Lucia. Absolutely beautiful place, warm, welcoming people.

Two visits there so far and it won't be our last.

:oops:..for a second i thought Lucia was another of his dozy bints...well done JD

Nice article from the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/12/jermain-defoe-tottenham-interview?

When Jermain Defoe arrives for breakfast, he has only one thing on his mind. "Seen my mum?" asks the Tottenham Hotspur and England forward. It is 8.30am in St Lucia, the island of his grandparents' birth, and the 30-year-old who enjoys one of the most close-knit mother-son relationships in football would usually have spoken to Sandra St Helen at least once by now. As the family eventually gather, tables are scraped together and a medley of English breakfasts and St Lucian salt fish and plantains piled on to plates.

This is the island of Defoe's childhood. Beaches, rainforest and dramatic volcanoes providing the backdrop to summer holidays spent here, playing football, honing his goal-scoring technique in minute goalmouths – a local tradition. Defoe is east London, born and bred, but his family's relationship with St Lucia has always brought him back here.

As he sits down to be interviewed, the informality of the family melts away any sense of a media opportunity. The dictaphone is soon surrounded by iced vanilla milkshakes, and a 30-minute interview turns into a roaming two-hour chat. Joining him is his mother, sister, Chonte, stepfather, Andre, and publicist, Claire Britcher. A sweet breeze blows in from the sea, respite from the blazing heat. Sandra wipes her brow, and the family take it in turns to listen, interrupt and occasionally poke fun.

In their midst, Defoe sheds the aura of a Premier League star. He pushes his three-year-old nephew, Chase, around in a buggy, and travels the winding roads of the island crammed into the back of a modest family car visiting schools, a children's home and relatives in the tiny village of Desruisseaux.

Defoe has been coming here every year since he was a baby, he even speaks the local French-based creole with family – and fellow players. "Oh yeah, a few of the French boys [William] Gallas and [Pascal] Chimbonda. Thierry Henry as well. Guadeloupe and Haiti speak the same patois so I used to chat to them all the time. William speaks it good, we used to chat a lot around the training ground."

Every Sunday, even after an away game, Defoe travels to his mother's house for a lively St Lucian meal, with up to 20 family members. Rice and peas, macaroni cheese, homemade coleslaw and curried goat, so legendary have the dinners become that TV producers have even approached the family about making a reality show.

Defoe's relationship with his mother was central to the concept. The pair seem inseparable, speaking on the phone throughout the day. Unsurprisingly their close relationship has not always been well received by those seeking to make money around them. In the industry Sandra is known as a woman you don't mess with, the matriarch who ruthlessly hires and fires high-profile football agents.

According to newspaper reports she also sorts out his love life and even edits his tweets. "No chance," says Defoe of that last one, while Sandra chuckles. "Some people might know me as the 'busybody mother', that kind of thing," she says. "I am very much involved in managing his career. Everybody else around him speaks to me, more or less, first.

"If things aren't going right with whoever's looking after my son, I'm careful," says Sandra. "I want the right things for him, and it's got to be right, business is business. For me, coming from where we was, so far back, all the struggles to where we are now, you've got to be that way. You're supposed to be providing a service, someone's got to be keeping an eye on things so that Jermain can just go on the pitch and play football.

"The majority of players, the families do watch their back and make sure everything's going smoothly. Some may not be as involved, but I am fully hands on. And I'm very proud of that."

While Sandra raised her son in the strict West Indian tradition – manners, respect, hard work and discipline – the tabloids have often sought to portray a different side to him. Branded a "love rat", he has had a seemingly disproportionate number of negative headlines. For Sandra, the articles have been hard to take, but Defoe is more philosophical. He talks about girls who sell stories, journalists who invent relationships, and ultimately shrugs.

In the grand scheme of things, he says, it is meaningless.

When you consider his life experience, you can understand why. "I've been through so much," he says, anger and sadness in his voice, "a lot, lot worse than any of that – so if someone has their opinion about me, good or bad, it doesn't bother me because I've suffered proper heartache, and that's no comparison."

In the past few years Defoe has suffered a close succession of bereavements in often tragic circumstances. While his mother sits quietly, the emotion clearly visible on her face, Defoe speaks openly of the pain they have been through. "I think it changed everything," he says, softly. "In 2008 my nan, in 2009 Gavin, my brother [who was attacked on the street in east London], 2011 my granddad, 2012 my dad [Jimmy Defoe, who lost his battle with throat cancer] and my cousin Hannah [tragically electrocuted in a pool on holiday].

"I think it changes you completely, to be honest. It makes you strong, really strong. It's important to have the right people around you. Because when you're on your own – sometimes if I was away with England and in a hotel, on my own in my room, it was hard not to think about it.

"I speak to my friends and the boys at football, and a lot of them say they've never really lost anyone close to them. And they're scared, they're scared of death." He pauses. "I think about [the people I lost] all the time when I'm on the pitch. I think I'm not going to cheat or go through the motions, because at the end of the day, my family are looking down on me and I want them to be proud."

With their memories in mind, an emotional Defoe launched his charity, the Jermain Defoe Foundation, in St Lucia seeking to help vulnerable young people. The island has only seven social workers and one children's home, with many children's facilities having been devastated by Hurricane Tomas in 2010. A fundraiser dinner is planned in September to highlight the issues and Defoe also hopes to establish a football academy.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, football's transfer rumour mill has cranked into action and Defoe's name is already being linked with a move to Stoke City. He laughs. "I get it every year, going to this club or that club." In the past, he admits, he has had opportunities to leave his beloved Tottenham. Why, then (one season at Portsmouth aside) has he stayed in north London for so long? "With the Tottenham thing, people don't understand. I left Tottenham and went to Portsmouth, and the reason why I came back – because I had opportunities to go abroad and I was weighing them up to be honest – but I got a phone call from the club dentist [Peter Rabin]. When he phoned me he was actually at one of the games and he said: 'J, listen to this' and all the fans were singing my name. When I was at Portsmouth! The Tottenham fans! That was it. I thought: 'I've got to go back.'" Tottenham fans also sang his name when the two teams played each other and Defoe scored against his former club. He shakes his head in disbelief.

"Peter's been a dentist there for years, he used to treat Gazza, and he said: 'J, all the time I've been at this club I've never ever experienced anything like it'. People come up to me every day and they say: 'Please don't leave'. It's weird, when you build a relationship with fans. One day, if I did leave that club I know it would be emotional. I love the players there – you always miss the boys and the spirit there's really good – but the relationship I've got with the fans there, it feels unique."

The decision, though, he says, is out of his hands. "A lot of the time you don't really know what's happening. It doesn't matter who you are, football's a business. At some stage you're going to have to leave a football club, that's just normal."

As he finishes his milkshake, several Tottenham fans are milling around the hotel bar hoping for an autograph.

For a player with over 500 club appearances, who last season overtook Teddy Sheringham in Tottenham's list of all-time goalscorers, his exit will no doubt be devastating to the Spurs faithful.

Certainly, the absence of the Defoe family box, where Sandra can be seen animatedly shouting and gesticulating towards the pitch, will make White Hart Lane seem that little bit quieter.

Back