• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

Re: Assou-Ekotto: I say what I think ... if you don't like it, I don't care

:lol: no worries mate Im calm ;) i know you don't particularly rate him as a player, I certainly can see why some don't . . just felt that questioning his motives was a little undue is all - I don't think anyone can question his honesty - if anything he's probably too honest

You don't have to love Benny. I certainly don't. He's not as good as Clichy or Evra. He's a liability at times, and way overrated by many Spurs fans.

I fear for our high line now he's back. He was part of the problem, though not the main problem v Leeds. Here's hoping for Norwich. AT least he'll have a top keeper to save him and the others. :)

"overrated" is overrated.

it really depends on one's frame of reference. someone may be comparing BAE to a better player in a better team....me I choose to compared BAE to those in a Spurs shirt before him.

BAE+Bale has been our best left sided play for as long as I can remember.

Since when was Clichy all that good?

Even those who don't particularly rate Ekotto have to compare him to the likes of Evra and Ashley Cole to really criticize BAE. Both of them have been mentioned as the best left backs in the world at times in their careers at least.

Very few of our players come out on top when a comparison is made between them and the best players in the world for their position.

I think it's safe to say BAE wouldn't just choose to represent the country he felt he had the best chance to play for - given his views on football in general.

"overrated" is overrated.

it really depends on one's frame of reference. someone may be comparing BAE to a better player in a better team....me I choose to compared BAE to those in a Spurs shirt before him.

BAE+Bale has been our best left sided play for as long as I can remember.

Fair comments, it all depends on what people mean by the praise so many heap on him.

Someone called him a legend in another thread, but didn't give the same accolade to Daws who he also mentioned.

To me BAE is nowhere a spurs legend and an example of him being overrated. Daws is far closer to being a Spurs legend, and even he isn't one yet.

BAE is a decent Prem LB. Not a patch on Cyril Knowles, not as good as Ron Henry, and Gary Mabbutt could do a better job at LB than him. As could Hughton.

Put Bale in front of any them and they'd be better than Bale and Benny. The Bale Benny combo is 80% Bale, he's at a totally different level to BAE.

I'd play JV at LB tonight if we had a fit Kaboul available.

HK ‏@Hamz__K
@AssouEkotto hey brick player are you going to play tomorrow. Hope you lose best wishes.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto ‏@AssouEkotto
@Hamz__K is just bcs u support arsenal...thats all ...if i was in ur club u wouldnt need to buy a left bk around ten million! LOLLOLOLOLOL

LOL

HK ‏@Hamz__K
@AssouEkotto hey brick player are you going to play tomorrow. Hope you lose best wishes.

@Hamz__K is just bcs u support arsenal...thats all ...if i was in ur club u wouldnt need to buy a left bk around ten million! LOLLOLOLOLOL

LOL
Nice putdown!

I had a quick look at subsequent tweets after that. Bloody hell! The abuse that some people feel inclined to use. Is that what Twitter's really all about?

YESTERDAY IN WHL WAS AMAZING!!!! Great atmosphere thanks. For ur support u was top class! So proud to b spurs. Player head up today LOL

Tottenham defender Assou-Ekotto out of Cameroon squad

The 28-year-old left back has notified the Indomitable Lions coach, Jean-Paul Akono, he would not be travelling for the World Cup qualifier against Togo due to personal reasons

Tottenham defender Benoit Assou-Ekotto has withdrawn from the Cameroon squad for their upcoming clash with Togo in World Cup 2014 qualifying.

The 28-year-old left back, who has not played with the Indomitable Lions for almost two years, pulled out of the squad on Wednesday due to family reasons.

No details were given by the Lions coach, Jean-Paul Akono, who will also be doing without injured defenders Danny Nounkeu and Aurelien Chedjou of Galatasaray and Lille respectively.

Cameroon will play host to Group I bottom-placed Togo on Saturday in Yaounde, while leaders Libya and second-placed DR Congo will lock horns in Kinshasa on Sunday.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/4979/world-cup-qualification-2014/2013/03/20/3841278/-

I might be worrying prematurely here, but here goes...

Are we seeing the end of Ekotto at Spurs now? There haven't been any news about him carrying any injuries, but he's been in and out of the team quite regularly lately. Vertonghen being moved to left back and Naughton being preferred ahead of him. He was also subbed somewhat strangely in the home game against Basel.

He hasn't been at his best lately, could just be that he's being dropped because of that of course. But I always had a feeling that BAE would be the most likely first team player to not really work under AVB, not because of playing style, but because of differences in approach. BAE didn't like the kind of detailed instructions he had to live under during the Ramos days, he was quite vocal about enjoying the freedom the team was given under Redknapp. I think I'm right in saying that AVB is more detailed in his control and instructions.

For all his talk about only being in it for the money Ekotto was never happy with not playing earlier in his career.

I've siad it before in here. The impression I get is that AVB studies the game and prefers players to be orthodox or at least predictable. For an attacking player to be a little unpredictable isn't as bad as it's not in a vunerable part of the pitch. BAE is a bit of a maverick and tries to make things happen by being that little bit different. I guess for someone like AVB he prefers the simplicity of someone like Naughton. You can argue that Walker isn't always predictable but I think we all know where his weaknesses lie (not saying BAE's are weaknesses btw).

I like BAE, I like the way he plays the game, I like the flair but if we are to invest in AVB then I guess we have to have the players that fit into his plans.

I suppose playing next to Verts isn't actually helping as he tends to be a bit unpredictable too. We'll either see Rose as our starter next year or we'll go out for a new LB that fits with what AVB wants. There's just something about Naughton that I can't quite put my finger on, but he seems a bit fragile at times.

I suppose playing next to Verts isn't actually helping as he tends to be a bit unpredictable too. We'll either see Rose as our starter next year or we'll go out for a new LB that fits with what AVB wants. There's just something about Naughton that I can't quite put my finger on, but he seems a bit fragile at times.

I really hope the answer isn't Rose or Naughton, for next year at least.

Naughton is a decent player, he's still fairly young and he's fairly consistent. He's right footed though, and it seems quite likely that we'll have some right footed players on the left wing next season too. We need a left footed left back. Also, i think Naughton is better on the right. He's a decent backup, but he's not as good as an in form Ekotto on the left and he's not good enough to be our first choice left back.

Rose is also a decent player, he's been getting some good reviews for his Sunderland performances. That's been mainly for his attacking contribution. He looks good going forward, no doubt. Defensively he's shaky though. And that's for a team that often sits back to counter attack, we leave a lot more space around our fullbacks than Sunderland do. He looks very much like a left winger that was moved to left back not that long ago, for obvious reasons. He's just not solid enough to be our first choice next year. Like Naughton perhaps a good enough squad option, perhaps another year out on loan getting regular football would be better for him though.

If Ekotto isn't the answer we quite simply must sign another left back in my opinion.

I think AVB is unpredictable. Dawson was nowhere near his first team plans. His mind can be swayed by the player showing he is worthy. I'm hopeful Benny proves his worth.

BAE doesn't have the recovering ability of Walker, so I think we'll need a steadier first choice LB.

Not sure i would say Walker is 'Steady'.

I think Rose will be an option we'll keep around next season, but we'll need a more defensive LB too.

Walker/Naughton on the right.

Someone/Rose on the left.

Would allow us to play a wonky on either side with a quick attacking full back to provide the width. The 'Someone' should be a good defensive left back.

Never said Walker was steady, but without his pace you need to be to not get done frequently. We are quite consistent at letting opposition players run in behind us/ball watching. As you say, we need someone who is solid defensively.

Back