• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
I remember reading reports at the time communication was an issue for Ramos. It certainly didn't help his cause when he could barely speak the lingo. Communication is key here. You have to be able to communicate with the squad and put your ideas across otherwise you're doomed to fail.

I'd be very interested to see those quotes and who they're from. Do you have any links?

and let me guess. Baldini is pushing for Spalletti, Pleat is in Hoddle's corner, Commoli thinks DeBoer is the man, only Sherwood has put his own name forward, Levy himself hasnt got a clue

madhouse

I think only Lamela, Soldado, and maybe paulinho are currently limited in their english....so i really dont know where you get the majority impression from

What do you mean by limited? If technical instructions need to be given and language is important then surely the manager's level of eloquence is far more important for transferring ideas?

I'd trust Capello to get an instruction to Le Saux more than I would Redknapp to Rooney, for example.

Jol is a foreigner, no? :-"
He is and he played in the English league. Jol is familiar with the British culture, he has no problem adapting.

I'd be very interested to see those quotes and who they're from. Do you have any links?

EX-SPURS COACH ALVAREZ: LANGUAGE BARRIER TOO MUCH FOR RAMOS

Former Tottenham fitness coach Marcos Alvarez believes the language barrier with Juande Ramos led to the Spaniard being replaced by Harry Redknapp.

He told El Pais: "Managing a dressing room in England depends on the quantity of English players that are in. It is even more difficult for a Spaniard to coach a team composed of many Englishmen because of specificities.

"The language barrier was a handicap at Tottenham, but we understood each other with some [players]."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...ge-barrier-too-much-ramos-212212#.UrXIePld9Gx

so his inability to communicate his ideas to the players because of the language barrier dint at least play a part?

Hmm.. he came in and we got fantastic results in the first few months when he presumably knew little of the language. By the end he was giving interviews in English and look at the results. I never saw anything from the players on the language issue. The major compliants were on his methods. He'd changed their diets radically. Banned ketchup and the like. That was combined with much harder training sessions. I think it was clear that worked early on. We looked a lot fitter and it was us that started scoring and looking stronger late on but it was clear after he was sacked that the players didn't like it. If we hadn't then had the shambles of the 2008 summer window then he might have been able to ride the storm somewhat and ship out the players who hadn't responded to his changes. I think it says a lot that the same group responded so strongly to Redknapp whose attitude to diet was summed up by saying it doesn't matter what they eat if they can't pass. Sorry but i don't think there was much evidence it was down to lack of English. Did this ever majorly hurt Bobby Robson abroad or the guy at Southampton when he first arrived?

Spaletti??? good lord. Id rather have Tony Pulis

Soldado is finished if Spaletti comes in, Actually we wont even need a striker

Says the guy whos probably done nothing but actually read up on Spalletti than actually watch his teams. One of the most exciting and best managers around. Tony Pulis? Just give up watching football. Thanks.

Redknapp reaped the rewards of Comolli's work - in particular Modric and Bale.

The same will happen to the next guy with Lamela, Eriksen, Soldado and Paulinho etc. And last summer's overhaul was needed because Redknapp didn't have a DoF.

A DoF's focus is almost by definition 2-4 years, rather than the next 6 months.

So it's a system that works wonders even though Comolli left us with an unbalanced squad and the system has led to conflict with just about every manager we've employed under the system? As much as people like yourself tend to put Arry down, he realised straight away that we needed an enforcer in central midfield who would be up for a relegation fight, I'm talking about Palacios of course. Ultimately we need to upgrade on him but he was a valuable player for 18 months or so. Comolli also spent £16m on Darren Bent when we already had 2 excellent strikers and one reliable backup (Defoe) and other needs at the time.

No matter who we appoint, there will always be a considerable amount of fans that don't want him and who will be impatient and overly negative towards him from the start.

And at the end of the day ..it gets dark.

All I know is shocks always happen when you least expect them.

According to "the word" TS has been chatting himself up as the guy and who knows..maybe he is?

Says the guy whos probably done nothing but actually read up on Spalletti than actually watch his teams. One of the most exciting and best managers around. Tony Pulis? Just give up watching football. Thanks.

i watched his teams enough thank you very much....hey il even tell you a secret, ive even seen his Roma team in person on two occasions at the Stadio olympico:-$shhhh, dont tell anyone though

Pulis was a joke but i guess you are too smart to have realised that

Spalletti is such an exciting and brilliant manager that he is currently in Russia :lol:

look, if Levy decides to go for this guy il back him and il want him and the team to do well. However I have major reservations about his suitability to managing/coaching in England. Plus as ive said im not a fan of his favoured formation, nothing against him but ive said on many an occasion that I like to see teams play with 2 strikers/forwards

and im sure if it wasnt for Baldini being the DoF, Levy wouldnt even be looking at this guy

So it's a system that works wonders even though Comolli left us with an unbalanced squad and the system has led to conflict with just about every manager we've employed under the system? As much as people like yourself tend to put Arry down, he realised straight away that we needed an enforcer in central midfield who would be up for a relegation fight, I'm talking about Palacios of course. Ultimately we need to upgrade on him but he was a valuable player for 18 months or so. Comolli also spent £16m on Darren Bent when we already had 2 excellent strik
ers and one reliable backup (Defoe) and other needs at the time.

I think being left unbalanced is a charge for the chairman who has left us in this position time and time again since the days of Hoddle and with or without a Sporting Director. The SD can do little if the chairman decides to leave deals until late in the window and then they collapse. On that basis, the Sporting Director should be judged on the basis of the quality of the players signed. On that front, the Comolli period comes out well on top, followed by Arnesen. Too early to judge Baldini yet but no doubt we were considered to have done good business in the summer. I'd actually agree with GB that the period in the market under Redknapp and without an SD. And let us not even start on the shambles that was Tottenham in the market before we had a Sporting Director. We'd made about 4 decent signings in the previous 10 years!

i watched his teams enough thank you very much....hey il even tell you a secret, ive even seen his Roma team in person on two occasions at the Stadio olympico:-$shhhh, dont tell anyone though

Pulis was a joke but i guess you are too smart to have realised that

Spalletti is such an exciting and brilliant manager that he is currently in Russia :lol:

look, if Levy decides to go for this guy il back him and il want him and the team to do well. However I have major reservations about his suitability to managing/coaching in England. Plus as ive said im not a fan of his favoured formation, nothing against him but ive said on many an occasion that I like to see teams play with 2 strikers/forwards

and im sure if it wasnt for Baldini being the DoF, Levy wouldnt even be looking at this guy

I watched his Roma team in person over 15 times mate, considering my mother is Italian. One of the best teams I have ever witnessed. Some of the best football you'll ever get to see in person if you're lucky, so you should even appreciate that ;)

He chose to go to Russia. Why not? They paid him ridiculous amount of money. That's like saying Hulk is **** because he plays in Russia, not necessarily, they paid him a ridiculous amount of money and is one of the top earners in world football. What about Eto'o? Pretty sure he could have gone to any club in the world but chose to go to Russia. Money talks mate. Spalletti is an outstanding manager and one we'd be lucky to have, which makes me believe we won't end up getting him.

You're right, if Baldini wasn't DOF, Levy would go for someone who's either recently flopped at a big team or someone from the English division he likes that month.

I think being left unbalanced is a charge for the chairman who has left us in this position time and time again since the days of Hoddle and with or without a Sporting Director. The SD can do little if the chairman decides to leave deals until late in the window and then they collapse. On that basis, the Sporting Director should be judged on the basis of the quality of the players signed. On that front, the Comolli period comes out well on top, followed by Arnesen. Too early to judge Baldini yet but no doubt we were considered to have done good business in the summer. I'd actually agree with GB that the period in the market under Redknapp and without an SD. And let us not even start on the shambles that was Tottenham in the market before we had a Sporting Director. We'd made about 4 decent signings in the previous 10 years!

i seem to remember that the likes of Bent, Zokora, Bentley, Pavlyuchenko, GDS, Gomes etc were all signed well before any window slammed shut, most early on in the summer with levy being convinced to pay exactly what the selling club wanted

best Commoli signing was Alan Hutton though.....9 million pounds for a drunk Scottish right back=D>

Spalletti is in Russia because Zenit are paying him lots and lots of money. There aren't that many clubs that can be considered a step up AND offer a good chance at competing for trophies.

We'd be no more than a sideways move, but it's a new league and a new challenge.

i seem to remember that the likes of Bent, Zokora, Bentley, Pavlyuchenko, GDS, Gomes etc were all signed well before any window slammed shut, most early on in the summer with levy being convinced to pay exactly what the selling club wanted

best Commoli signing was Alan Hutton though.....9 million pounds for a drunk Scottish right back=D>

The White Cafu!!!!

Russia is a bit like Turkey - i good league that is trying to develop itself my bringing in higher profile people

and the thing with management is, there are not a lot of jobs around but a hell of a lot of managers, so you go where the offers are or staff unemployed and risk either being forgotten, having to accept lower league or having the right contacts when "the big jobs" come up

I watched his Roma team in person over 15 times mate, considering my mother is Italian. One of the best teams I have ever witnessed. Some of the best football you'll ever get to see in person if you're lucky, so you should even appreciate that ;)

He chose to go to Russia. Why not? They paid him ridiculous amount of money. That's like saying Hulk is **** because he plays in Russia, not necessarily, they paid him a ridiculous amount of money and is one of the top earners in world football. What about Eto'o? Pretty sure he could have gone to any club in the world but chose to go to Russia. Money talks mate. Spalletti is an outstanding manager and one we'd be lucky to have, which makes me believe we won't end up getting him.

You're right, if Baldini wasn't DOF, Levy would go for someone who's either recently flopped at a big team or someone from the English division he likes that month.

you may think Spalletti is outstanding and we would be lucky to have him....but then again you did wax lyrical in a similar way about Erik Lamela.

That's fine, they deserve points for signing good players. It just annoys me when people laugh off any stories that claim the manager is at odds with the system or the players were chosen regardless of the manager's views. It's almost as if some people are so in love with the system that they just won't have any criticism of it whatsover.

Back