• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
Spalletti is in Russia because Zenit are paying him lots and lots of money. There aren't that many clubs that can be considered a step up AND offer a good chance at competing for trophies.

We'd be no more than a sideways move, but it's a new league and a new challenge.

if that matter so much then i cant see him getting excited about the challenge at Spurs then.....and if money matters so much, then its best we steer clear of such a character

you may think Spalletti is outstanding and we would be lucky to have him....but then again you did wax lyrical in a similar way about Erik Lamela.

And it's a shame Lamela hasn't been given a proper chance. I think it'd be extremely harsh of you to comment regarding Lamelas performances for us in the Premier League as he hasn't really been given a fair crack of the whip, he does find himself with one match winning assist despite all of this.

You don't pay £30,000,000 for one of the most highly rated footballers in the world.

if that matter so much then i cant see him getting excited about the challenge at Spurs then.....and if money matters so much, then its best we steer clear of such a character

We best steer clear of many footballers too then I guess. Every one is driven by money.

He is and he played in the English league. Jol is familiar with the British culture, he has no problem adapting.

EX-SPURS COACH ALVAREZ: LANGUAGE BARRIER TOO MUCH FOR RAMOS

Former Tottenham fitness coach Marcos Alvarez believes the language barrier with Juande Ramos led to the Spaniard being replaced by Harry Redknapp.

He told El Pais: "Managing a dressing room in England depends on the quantity of English players that are in. It is even more difficult for a Spaniard to coach a team composed of many Englishmen because of specificities.

"The language barrier was a handicap at Tottenham, but we understood each other with some [players]."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...ge-barrier-too-much-ramos-212212#.UrXIePld9Gx

That reads to me as a criticism of English players not being able to understand others.

He picked out the English ones as a problem, rather than then others. I doubt many of the others spoke the same languages as Ramos but they're not mentioned.

Sounds like yet a other reason to avoid over-priced, under-skilled English players.

And it's a shame Lamela hasn't been given a proper chance. I think it'd be extremely harsh of you to comment regarding Lamelas performances for us in the Premier League as he hasn't really been given a fair crack of the whip, he does find himself with one match winning assist despite all of this.

You don't pay £30,000,000 for one of the most highly rated footballers in the world.

you do when the seller knows you have a potential 80 mill pounds burning a hole in your pocket.....a fool and his money are easily parted

highly rated he may be, not by everyone like you i may add, but we massively overpaid on that one.....

not an anti Lamela post - but was he really? i had never heard of him before we signed him and im still not sure what kind of player he is

had you seen much or him/knew much about him? i'd be interested to hear if any other posters had too

I don't think we overpaid for Lamela. I hadn't watched him personally but his c.v would say that's the going rate for a player of that calibre. He was a star in Argentina, Roma then paid(I'm going to copy and paste this as it's quite complex) €12 million, plus €2 million in bonuses, which was activated after his 20th club appearance.[7] Roma also paid an additional €3.2 million to Orel B.V.[8] — plus 10% added value if the player is later sold above €12 million — and €3.06 million in the form of taxes to the Government of Argentina for a 19 year old. He had one settling in season with Roma, the following season he hit 15 goals as a 20yr old winger and was widely accepted as one of the brightest young talents in the world. Spurs pay a club record £26m for him and don't play him, bonkers.

Last edited:
The DOF system works when the DOF is at the top of the pyramid and chooses the style of play, buys players to fit it and then lastly hires a coach to implement it. At least that is my understanding of how it works. The theory being that the DOF stays around for a good decade while managers come and go but the style and system etc stays the same.

The DOF system works when the DOF is at the top of the pyramid and chooses the style of play, buys players to fit it and then lastly hires a coach to implement it. At least that is my understanding of how it works. The theory being that the DOF stays around for a good decade while managers come and go but the style and system etc stays the same.

It shouldn't be the DoF that decides how we play, he should simply put in place people to carry out what the club wants. The board can put together some kind of description, as in attractive, attacking football, but also set out certain requirements. First and foremost we want to win games.

I personally prefer 433 but with the wide forwards pushed up and narrow in support of the striker and not wide wingers crossing it (which I class 451). I won't comment on the guy as I don't know the second thing about him, however I will say that going by recent years Zenit have been a good team to watch (beat Man UTD in the super cup??) and I wouldn't mind our team playing similarly. Despite the calls for two forwards, our squad is made for a 433 and we lack back up wingers and strikers (seeing as JD is off to America <rumours>). In all honesty our team need to work on more than just a shape though, if we can attack with some real quick and clever passing that will make a big difference.

That reads to me as a criticism of English players not being able to understand others.

He picked out the English ones as a problem, rather than then others. I doubt many of the others spoke the same languages as Ramos but they're not mentioned.

Sounds like yet a other reason to avoid over-priced, under-skilled English players.

Yeah perhaps you have a point there, but do you remember Ramos' press conference? He didn't exactly fill you with confidence due to the language barrier. Some posters here rate Spalletti really highly, so I would be willing give him the benefit of the doubt, but I still think the posters should give Sherwood benefit of the doubt too.

Yeah perhaps you have a point there, but do you remember Ramos' press conference? He didn't exactly fill you with confidence due to the language barrier. Some posters here rate Spalletti really highly, so I would be willing give him the benefit of the doubt, but I still think the posters should give Sherwood benefit of the doubt too.

We'll if neither can speak English properly and one of them is English.......
;)

I thought Ramos had Poyet as assistant to help get his message across?

Ramos is an interesting case in point though -- whoever the new man is, the players we have must buy into his ideas. The best coach available might not be the best fit for this club, at this moment.

Ramos had some good ideas, but the players didn't buy into them. The rest is history.

The problem with Sherwood is that he is completely untested in management, the man has never run a senior team. He may turn out to be a great coach, but he may also turn out to be a bad one. At least with Spalletti we have a track record to look at and know what we are likely to get.

I'm guessing Baldini was at Roma when Spalletti was coach? If so, then that's also a good reason to get him. They would all be pulling in the same direction.

I'm guessing Baldini was at Roma when Spalletti was coach? If so, then that's also a good reason to get him. They would all be pulling in the same direction.

After days of this going back and forward and hearing everything that has been said in the media. I'm just feeling that its best we run the season out and then get our new manager in the summer. Its not that I want to give up on this season but there are a few things that mean it would be hard to get some of the favorites choices at this point in the season and also for them to implement their ideas quickly enough for it to have an effect.

With that in mind I feel we need to appoint and interim manager for the rest of the season. I'm pretty sure that if Levy wanted Tim Sherwood he would have given him that title by now. So he is either trying to persuade someone to join now or running out of choices. There are a few guys that would do a good job for this season and could hit the ground running. The only stand out is Hiddink, but many feel that is not possible and he is out of our reach. I then come back to Hoddle. I feel he has matured as a manager learnt from his mistakes and speaks so well on TV that it could work. But can Levy swallow his pride and bring him back in? he would have the support of the fan base straight away even if you have a negative thought on his previous stint simply because he is a club Legend. He will communicate his thoughts quickly and I feel he will do better with us than before due to the quality we have in the squad.

I will go on record that I dont want Sherwood to stay on. I would prefer he was dropped back down to the job he was doing. I also think its time Levy came out and gave us some info on Harry leaving, AVB leaving and the state of the stadium. Since the club has gone private he seems to give us very little in the way of information and from being an ardent levy fan i'm now starting to question whether its the man at the top who is our main problem now. We need to give someone some time and stability. Managers and teams can have bad seasons and then come good in the next. This constant changing of managers has to stop.

Im pretty sick of it always feeling like we are the butt of all the jokes. We need some stability and to run the club with some dignity and look to push on.

If we kept Sherwood on til the end, I think we would need to make an official statement at the end of the season as to who is taking over. The entire summer could be wasted haggling with other managers who in turn would be ill prepared to take over the squad, request their own purchases etc. IMO if we keep Sherwood on we should at least have a pre contractual agreement with someone whom we can announce before the World Cup. Would make us look ready for the new season and keep players in check. If I were a player at our club right now, the first thing I'd want to know come the end of May is who is taking over. If no one can answer me then I'd be inclined to look elsewhere than stay on with no clear goals.

The problem with Sherwood is that he is completely untested in management, the man has never run a senior team. He may turn out to be a great coach, but he may also turn out to be a bad one. At least with Spalletti we have a track record to look at and know what we are likely to get.

I agree

How many "Premier League proven" managers are there that have either won trophies or mounted top 4 challenges that we'd be able to attract right now?

Still think there's an outside possibilty that Ancelotti might become an option in the summer.

Back