• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
Hmmm get rid of the director of football or miss out on a shed load of players due to last minute Levy deals? hmm hard choice :-k

Arnesen and Comolli both oversaw a massive squad upgrades, but weren't around any longer when we started to reap the benefits. First one was a complete rebuilding of a shambles of a squads, then Comolli tried to push us from top 6 to top 4. Sacking him together with Ramos was kneejerk IMO, but perhaps necessary to get Redknapp in. Now Baldini has come in during another push, this one from top 4/5 towards possibly competing for the title, but at the very least being genuine top 4 contenders (with Chelsea and Liverpool back in the fray).

I don't see how any of them proves the DoF structure to be a failure as none of them have spent a long enough time here to really leave a legacy other than providing the incoming managers with a talented squad. It has actually help transform this club from also rans to a top 5 side.

Apparently there's some ITK floating around that Spaletti has agreed to take the job???

This I guess:

well theres a guy on ftl called AVB who posted this: Apparently Baldrick has reported back that fellow Roman would be interested in the job and that buy out clause from Zenit is reasonable

...but there its being suggested he might be the same guy who called himself tottenham teddy in the past and if so its surely not itk at all

Arnesen and Comolli both oversaw a massive squad upgrades, but weren't around any longer when we started to reap the benefits. First one was a complete rebuilding of a shambles of a squads, then Comolli tried to push us from top 6 to top 4. Sacking him together with Ramos was kneejerk IMO, but perhaps necessary to get Redknapp in. Now Baldini has come in during another push, this one from top 4/5 towards possibly competing for the title, but at the very least being genuine top 4 contenders (with Chelsea and Liverpool back in the fray).

I don't see how any of them proves the DoF structure to be a failure as none of them have spent a long enough time here to really leave a legacy other than providing the incoming managers with a talented squad. It has actually help transform this club from also rans to a top 5 side.

Redknapp reaped the rewards of Comolli's work - in particular Modric and Bale.

The same will happen to the next guy with Lamela, Eriksen, Soldado and Paulinho etc. And last summer's overhaul was needed because Redknapp didn't have a DoF.

A DoF's focus is almost by definition 2-4 years, rather than the next 6 months.

Redknapp reaped the rewards of Comolli's work - in particular Modric and Bale.

The same will happen to the next guy with Lamela, Eriksen, Soldado and Paulinho etc. And last summer's overhaul was needed because Redknapp didn't have a DoF.

A DoF's focus is almost by definition 2-4 years, rather than the next 6 months.

Redknapp certainly reaped the rewards of Commoli's work, I mean how could Redknapp fail with such great Commoli's buys like Pavlyuchenko, Bent, Zokora, Bentley, Gomes, GDS and the rest. :-k

Im sorry but even the most numpty of managers can manage to get 2 signings right out of a host of other bad ones...... a DoF cannot be guaranteed to make good signings. maybe one of baldini's 7 buys will turn out to be very good with the others on the whole average. That is a cr@p ratio

Spaletti??? good lord. Id rather have Tony Pulis

Soldado is finished if Spaletti comes in, Actually we wont even need a striker

Redknapp certainly reaped the rewards of Commoli's work, I mean how could Redknapp fail with such great Commoli's buys like Pavlyuchenko, Bent, Zokora, Bentley, Gomes, GDS and the rest. :-k

Im sorry but even the most numpty of managers can manage to get 2 signings right out of a host of other bad ones...... a DoF cannot be guaranteed to make good signings. maybe one of baldini's 7 buys will turn out to be very good with the others on the whole average. That is a cr@p ratio

Do you know there are still as many Arnesen (Lennon, Dawson) and Comolli (Kaboul, Rose) signings around the first team as there are Redknapp ones (Walker, Sandro)?

Do you know there are still as many Arnesen (Lennon, Dawson) and Comolli (Kaboul, Rose) signings around the first team as there are Redknapp ones (Walker, Sandro)?

so what? just shows that it doesnt matter whether a football club trusts in a manager or in the DoF...both have the ability to make a couple of good signings amongst a raft of average ones. Given time its highly possible that Walker and Sandro will be around just as long as Lennon and Dawson have been for example

I'm sure it's been said before, but the more I think about it the more I feel AVB was essentially sacked because of a defensive injury crisis. Our defensive record was excellent until Vertonghen was forced out to the left, and then got injured. Kaboul's hardly featured (and that was always going to be a risk after a year out injured), Rose has been out for most of the year and even Chiriches has missed key games. Dawson is the least suited of our central defenders to play a high line. So Walker has probably been the only "first eleven" player in our defence for the past couple of months.

I'm not saying AVB would have had us playing entertaining attacking football if Vertonghen, Rose and Kaboul had been fully fit; but we wouldn't have been shipping so many goals and would probably have a few more points than we currently do. Which would, in turn, have made a showdown between Levy and AVB far less likely.

So it seems to me that our results are unlikely to improve no matter who the manager is; because the problem is with the players (or rather, it's with our lack of fit ones in defence). And once that's solved - either by buying in January or - more likely - by the return of Vertonghen and Rose (and hopefully Kaboul) then we'll immediately become a better side. I don't think that's likely to happen during the next couple of weeks, so Sherwood's chance of proving himself worthy of the role will come unstuck through no fault of his own.

What's your issue with Spalletti? Are there particular qualities of his you don't like, or is he just not good enough in your eyes?

he is an average Italian manager....if we are going down the average route then id rather a British one instead

are you impressed by Spalletti's credentials? I dont like his preferred 4231 system, he has history of not playing with a striker:-s, his better years in management were nearly 10 years ago, he more than likely doesnt speak English, imo he will just be another in the long line of wrong Levy appointments

oh, and id love to see Levy dealing with Zenit again, im sure he remembers the Arshavin negotiations with great fondness

he is an average Italian manager....if we are going down the average route then id rather a British one instead

are you impressed by Spalletti's credentials? I dont like his preferred 4231 system, he has history of not playing with a striker:-s, his better years in management were nearly 10 years ago, he more than likely doesnt speak English, imo he will just be another in the long line of wrong Levy appointments

oh, and id love to see Levy dealing with Zenit again, im sure he remembers the Arshavin negotiations with great fondness

Apart from winning the double with Zenit in his first year there, followed by another league title the following season and finishing second last season. They are currently top of the Russian league.

The 4-6-0 formation included Totti, more a forward than a midfielder for me.

I don't have any thoughts on him either way, but I would say the following;

If we're going for a mediocre manager, then I'd prefer one from a league known for technical, thoughtful managers than one known for being a bit of an old boys' club.

Where you see a history of playing with no strikers, I see a manager making do with what he has.

I thought many people's problem with AVB was a lack of age/experience, so an older manager should be more experienced, right?

Speaking English is utterly irrelevant to managing a team where a small minority speak English as their first language.

Apart from winning the double with Zenit in his first year there, followed by another league title the following season and finishing second last season. They are currently top of the Russian league.

The 4-6-0 formation included Totti, more a forward than a midfielder for me.

How can you compare a side like Zenit playing in the Russian league with us? Two different leagues and Zenit are a top side in Russia. I think Luciano Spalletti will be another long line of foreign managers we've had with no prem league experience to flop here. I hope the rumour is not true.

Last edited:
I don't have any thoughts on him either way, but I would say the following;

If we're going for a mediocre manager, then I'd prefer one from a league known for technical, thoughtful managers than one known for being a bit of an old boys' club.

Where you see a history of playing with no strikers, I see a manager making do with what he has.

I thought many people's problem with AVB was a lack of age/experience, so an older manager should be more experienced, right?

Speaking English is utterly irrelevant to managing a team where a small minority speak English as their first language.

Tell that to Ramos, he couldn't even communicate with the squad, Poyet was his translator and look how that turned out!

Back