• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll maybe give you the Joe Royle one, but the rest are too devalued as competitions now to count as 'major'. It's really got to be league or European.

You can't pick and choose what you call a major honour to fit your argument. Even if they are devalued they have still been dominated by the big clubs for the last ten years.

Wow GB.

You come out with quite a few different positions but are you saying you wouldn't count an FA Cup or League Cup success as 'success' as they have been so devalued?

And why are they devalued? Yes a lot of big teams play squads in early rounds and a few struggling EPL don't commit but you still have to beat the best generally to win it? It isn't like the big clubs are boycotting them.

Wow GB.

You come out with quite a few different positions but are you saying you wouldn't count an FA Cup or League Cup success as 'success' as they have been so devalued?

And why are they devalued? Yes a lot of big teams play squads in early rounds and a few struggling EPL don't commit but you still have to beat the best generally to win it? It isn't like the big clubs are boycotting them.

Oh no - I still think they are important. Just not major major, like they used to be up until about the mid-90s.

For me now, the big majors in terms of a world class manager (or player) are EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, CL and EL. They are the type of honours that mark out a top career.

Oh no - I still think they are important. Just not major major, like they used to be up until about the mid-90s.

For me now, the big majors in terms of a world class manager (or player) are EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, CL and EL. They are the type of honours that mark out a top career.

Agree with that. Birmingham won the league cup a couple years back but their manager (McLeish?) wouldn't be someone you wanted

This season really is depressing - we've appointed a manager with no experience and, barring the unlikely event that he gets us to 4th, we're just killing time this season until we fire TS in the summer and bring in Van Gaal. My big concern is that this pointless six months might see players like Vertonghan, Sandro etc decide that their futures lies elsewhere. Would like to see Levy fire TS after the final game of the season (assuming we end up 5th or 6th) and get Van Gaal to sign a contract beginning after the world cup. At least players would then have certainty

They have never been as big as a league title or a European honour but the fact that the winners over the last ten years are:

Manchester United
Arsenal
Liverpool
Chelsea x 4
Portsmouth
Emirates Marketing Project
Wigan

Is that so different in terms of quality than the winners in the 80's?

West Ham
Tottenham x2
Manchester United x 2
Everton
Liverpool x 2
Coventry
Wimbledon

Thought id bump this up- any thoughts on whether Laudrup had a chance at Spurs now hes free? Is he what we are after?

Hes managed to find a gem in michu, would live to bring him to spurs as well though he would cost a lot now. Any other Swansea players worth looking at? Ashley williams?

Thought id bump this up- any thoughts on whether Laudrup had a chance at Spurs now hes free? Is he what we are after?

Hes managed to find a gem in michu, would live to bring him to spurs as well though he would cost a lot now. Any other Swansea players worth looking at? Ashley williams?

nah, no thanks. The longer he has stayed at swansea, the worse they have become. Not a coach, rarely works much on the training ground, doesnt appear to be a motivator.......Swansea players? Bony and Michu i guess

Sorry, but I think that Laudrup would be like having AVB mk 2 - plenty of possession with no cutting edge. Swansea fans feel that Laudrup won the League cup with Brendan Rodgers players and set up. Since the League cup win they have won something like 9 in 35. So for me Laudrup fits into the category of great player, crap manager.

I actually was more wondering if Swansea might try for AVB (though I expect he'll wait for a job back in Italy).

I reckon AVB will avoid the prem for a while and gain success elsewhere before maybe trying back here again. As for Laudrup, was he still too good at the game to coach, like Hoddle being frustrated at being the best player there even though he's meant to be the coach

GB thanks for posting that. It's brilliant to see foreign pundits opinions of us and our league.

I was scoffing at Gullit when he said our current squad is not up to scratch but then he went on to say we are the team that tries to play the game the right way (ergo LVG/a Dutch coach would be a perfect fit) so he redeemed himself there. ;)

I also take on board what the other guy said that we have a potentially good manager in place and may be suffering slightly from 'big name' syndrome.

Bloody hell and I thought the media were intrusive in this country. Turning up to his house and saying "are you hiding Daniel Levy in there?". Gullit was almost cracking up after seeing that lol. LVG certainly ended up coming across as saying that the media needed to keep their noses out whilst preliminary talks were taking place. He also didn't sound like a guy who was looking forward to retiring after the World Cup. The man still wants to manage over here.

It seems that maybe because it's not an English show, the pundits are able to talk openly about things. Coming out and saying it's typical Tottenham to go chasing after another big name is something that only the Sunday morning paper pundits would say and even they would tip toe around how they said it. They also seemed to think that he would be the right guy for the job given the players we have and the lack of money. Given our lack of activity in the January window (both in and out), maybe there is some truth in what they say about him already laying ground work behind the scenes.

Interesting to hear Gullit on Sherwood and Ferdinand, saying that they couldn't spot what a good player Suarez was back then. It doesn't do their reputations any favours, especially as he made a point in bringing it up whilst the other guy was trying to talk up Sherwood. I mean he really did force the issue and stop the other guy in his tracks.

TS really looks like a stop gap appointment more and more.

The contract he was given seemed to hint at that. 18 months gave Sherwood what he wanted. If he was offered until the end of the season, all of his talk seemed to suggest he would have turned it down, then where did Levy turn to?

Also if TS was offered a 6 month contract until the end of this season, then it would have meant he would complete his contract, which has yet to happen with a manager during Levy's tenure.

You're right, this could detract from our performance on the pitch.

it doesnt matter anymore, this season is already a write off, we are just stumbling along towards the end of the season and will spend all summer waiting for LVG to arrive.......LevyLimboLand

Back