• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Based on the level of comment from people close enough to the club, manager or their current club.
Where are these comments? Any quotes?
Clearly there's not going to be any 'proof' that we did or where things got to in conversations which did happen
Bingo.

Feel free to think that we haven't spoken to any of them, or any manager at all if you wish though and that the club are a zen-like moment of calm and are going to spring into action and speak to their first manager candidate soon though
Thanks.

The Guttuso rumours are massively disputable! Looks like Italian journos (worse than UK ones by the way) putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 56. The fonseca deal may have hit a block due to tax and then they’ve just seen Gattusso was available on same day and hey presto.

the so called reputable English journos only reported, copied, what the Italian reports were saying.

Your call whether you believe the Gattuso rumours, though in that case the next candidate is at least 5th choice, possibly a good bit higher. The point remains though

Essentially, every Manager we speak with is seen as a rejection/failiure? We just need to let the club do their work. We took on a DoF which is what most were screaming for. Now leave them to it.

Think we have probably sounded out most of these at various times but that is the correct and due diligent way of doing things, no?

It isn't embarrassing or shambolic.

Think we have also probably only had serious discussions with Conte and Fonseca and possibly Lopetegui.

So out of 10 names we have made serious runs at perhaps 3.

There is no smoke without fire but the media create a lot more smoke than it is actually worth.

Essentially, every Manager we speak with is seen as a rejection/failiure? We just need to let the club do their work. We took on a DoF which is what most were screaming for. Now leave them to it.

Yeah... im just not sure we took on the correct DOF.

Essentially, every Manager we speak with is seen as a rejection/failiure?

Not every manager we speak to, but if conversations go beyond sounding someone out (like Ten Hag) and there is an attempt to hire them, then yes it is a failure if it doesnt happen. That doesnt mean that the club is to blame for a failure - sometimes in a negotiation its right to walk away - but it is a failure

We just need to let the club do their work. We took on a DoF which is what most were screaming for. Now leave them to it.

Well obviously. I dont think anyone is going to try to sabotage the club's manager search! But that doesnt stop people having opinions...which is what this sort of site it for.

Ok it seems the talks with fonsecca broke down because he wanted the same tax breaks as in italy. Italy only charges 10% tax on rich that have come to work in the country. We obviously charge 45%. So that could be a fair chunk of change.
Any numbers that we are quoting should be 'net' numbers anyway. That is pretty standard across most of Europe. Additionally we really should be considerably higher payers than other clubs where Fonseca is likely to get another job (Fiorentina for example) so the tax difference would likely be offset by our higher wage offer. If this guy was somebody that we actually really wanted then surely we'd find the money.... unless we cannot find the money as we really are skint?

I wonder if contact with Gattuso was made with the intention of trying to push Fonseca into lowering his demands so that the club and him can meet somewhere halfway?

Thinking about it, surely PL football manager's are not actually paid via PAYE anyway?

Yeah OK that is a massive difference, but if he has been identified as the man to take us forward (and I have my doubts that he is) then surely we should pay the difference even if that means we have X less to spend on transfers.

I dunno. Find it strange that it took so long for them to realise one side was talking gross the other net.

Not every manager we speak to, but if conversations go beyond sounding someone out (like Ten Hag) and there is an attempt to hire them, then yes it is a failure if it doesnt happen. That doesnt mean that the club is to blame for a failure - sometimes in a negotiation its right to walk away - but it is a failure

The club should be talking to candidates. How else do they determine if they fit and what their financial demands would look like? If a journalist gets wind of this - like the financials are agreed between Spurs and the manager, then we get given stories that its "done" etc. Which is obviously far from the case. The club might agree packages with a number of candidates, only to pivot or choose one of them. No point engaging in it all until we're there.

Well obviously. I dont think anyone is going to try to sabotage the club's manager search! But that doesnt stop people having opinions...which is what this sort of site it for.

This time of year, there isn't much to talk about. But I don't think anyone outside Spurs cares much until we appoint someone.

Yeah OK that is a massive difference, but if he has been identified as the man to take us forward (and I have my doubts that he is) then surely we should pay the difference even if that means we have X less to spend on transfers.

I dunno. Find it strange that it took so long for them to realise one side was talking gross the other net.

Although in fairness If he agreed to a contract without knowing the tax implications I would have to question his intelligence and therefore suitability for the role.

Que?
What would be the point of that when the one thing that pretty much everyone is agreed on is that we need a number of new players. Why hamstring a manager even more than our limited budget will possibly do anyway, just so that we can get that same manager on board.
It's not up to us to sort out the tax affairs of our employees.

Anyway, I thought it was specifically due to a tax liability he would have to the Italian authorities? (Not sure exactly on that however. Something else circulating in the social media sphere yesterday).

Ok it seems the talks with fonsecca broke down because he wanted the same tax breaks as in italy. Italy only charges 10% tax on rich that have come to work in the country. We obviously charge 45%. So that could be a fair chunk of change.
Where is that info on the Italian tax system Lilbaz? I thought that non domiciles coming Italy would only be taxed on their Italian income (at normal rates) and that they could 'choose' to migrate their non Italian sourced income tax liability to Italy at a flat rate of 100,000 Euros?

No problem. Lets go with your version - we've not spoken to any potential manager at all and just biding our time.

Seriously though, where do you believe that the club are in their manager search?
Probably very similar to any other job search (except with exceptional media scrutiny).
Sounding out potential candidates. Initially contact is probably via an agent to see if there is interest - some might not go any further than this, but still get passed on to the media or @fernadez.
Then getting a shortlist and deciding who we should talk to out of those that are interested. Then interviewing one or all of the shortlist to see if they are right for us - some might not go any further than this, but still get passed on to the media.
There may even of been a candidate(s) that seemed the one until the final moment when they made unacceptable demands, or there was something about them that rung alarm bells.
There is even the possibility that some of the candidates kept saying yes to keep their options open, but then received a better offer, either in terms of a 'bigger' club, or something that suited their family better etc.
In our situation, there is so much media scrutiny, that anyone can throw completely made up gossip in to the mix without any recourse.

Any numbers that we are quoting should be 'net' numbers anyway. That is pretty standard across most of Europe. Additionally we really should be considerably higher payers than other clubs where Fonseca is likely to get another job (Fiorentina for example) so the tax difference would likely be offset by our higher wage offer. If this guy was somebody that we actually really wanted then surely we'd find the money.... unless we cannot find the money as we really are skint?

I wonder if contact with Gattuso was made with the intention of trying to push Fonseca into lowering his demands so that the club and him can meet somewhere halfway?

Thinking about it, surely PL football manager's are not actually paid via PAYE anyway?

Why wouldn't they be paid by PAYE? They are employees.

Just get Potter in and be done with it. Wasn’t my first choice but beggars can’t be choosers. We are in a transition regardless of who the next manager is. Let’s get him in like yesterday so we can actually start to buy players.

Back