• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
A lot of Kompany rumours have me severely underwhelmed. I mean, one season in the Champo doth not make a PL manager (hi Franky Lampard).

Naglesmann isn't choosing us, we're an absolute brick show right now and quite frankly he'll have his pick of jobs in Summer.

that leaves Poch and De Zerbi. I yearn for Poch to close that chapter but at the same time, can totally see the appeal for De Zerbi and would be happy enough if he gets the job.

Anyone else will be a disappointment now from those 3 for me.

Or slot. Or galardo.

A lot of Kompany rumours have me severely underwhelmed. I mean, one season in the Champo doth not make a PL manager (hi Franky Lampard).

Naglesmann isn't choosing us, we're an absolute brick show right now and quite frankly he'll have his pick of jobs in Summer.

that leaves Poch and De Zerbi. I yearn for Poch to close that chapter but at the same time, can totally see the appeal for De Zerbi and would be happy enough if he gets the job.

Anyone else will be a disappointment now from those 3 for me.

In some ways De Zerbi would disappoint me if he took our job. I think he probably needs to give Brighton one more year and then step up somewhere. Both a loyalty test on his part, and to prove he is the real deal and not just riding Potter's coat tail.

And whilst we have revolving doors then top 4 will be the best we can dream of. I didn’t want Conte, Nuno or Mourinho. So I’m happy all three are gone. We need a manager who was like Pochettino was, someone who can take over us, be one of us, can inspire and motivate and get us to play attacking football. It will take time so we can get rid of those that aren’t at the required level and the new manager can bring in replacements. I’d think a minimum and I mean a minimum of three transfer windows is needed. Plus Levy will need to fully support the new manager and bring in players with full manager consultation. Give the manager the time and tools that they need to succeed. No opportunist signings unless the manager is in full agreement. Minimal signings for the future that won’t cut it now.

I know I’m dreaming but this is the path I believe we need to take to achieve success.
I disagree. Not about giving it time to get success, but on relying on finding the right manager to get us there. FIRST we need to stand up a best-in-class football operations department that will develop a clear strategy, systems, tactics, fitness regime, player identification and development, etc. THEN we hire the manager that will best work in our setup. It's basically something like the Brentford model, but on steroids, given our superior finances will allow us to attract top talent in a variety of roles. Not only will this lead to sustained success independent of the manager, but I'm betting it will also be cheaper than paying millions in managers' salaries and top dollar for transfers.

Have you not been watching/paying attention?

I mean that genuinely and in the nicest possible way.
Yes, I have been watching and paying attention. But also in the nicest way, I will direct the same question to you: have you not been watching/paying attention over the last 20 years? The club has been on a consistent upward trajectory. Yet for some unexplained reason people think that ENIC has decided to halt this trajectory now that we are in or on the fringes of top 4. Which doesn't make any sense, and especially so from a business standpoint.

I think we all agree that one of ENIC's objectives is to maximize the value of the club. Well, how do you do that? You don't do it by just making CL. That'll give you a nice chunk of change every year, but it won't increase the value beyond what it already is. Now if you win stuff (and I mean league and CL titles, not domestic cups), that's what catapults the club's value. Not to mention it makes the fans extremely happy too. So to claim that ENIC just care about top 4, is counterintuitive to say the least.

And another thing that people conveniently ignore is that the higher you climb, the more difficult it is to get to the next level. It's much easier to go from the lower end of the table and establish yourself in midtable than it is from midtable to the EL and ECL spots. And more difficult to get from the EL/ECL spots to the CL spots. And then even more difficult to get from the CL spots to a title. It's not linear, yet people treat it like it is. It might take you 10 years, for example, to get from an average finish of 12th to an average finish of 4th and then take you another 10 years to win the title (and all this is assuming you do it organically like we have). Yet people think that, if we were 3rd and 2nd the previous years, we should automatically be expected to be 1st the following year. In the PL, no less! That is the epitome of delusion.

Last edited:
That's the kind of stuff you want to know about a manager. Every half-decent manager is detail-oriented and puts in a lot of hours and some of them also play one exciting system or another. But not everyone can inspire their players to play their best and take them to the next level. I had my reservations about de Zerbi, but after reading this I'd be happy if he was the one we appointed. (still prefer Gallardo, though :))

It's not linear, yet people treat it like it is. It might take you 10 years, for example, to get from an average finish of 12th to an average finish of 4th and then take you another 10 years to win the title (and all this is assuming you do it organically like we have).
Agreed. Each step is monumental... Spurs just about manage to scrape another step up the ladder and Abramovich comes along and ruins football for 2 decades by cheating his team to the top, moving the rungs on the ladder 20 feet apart... then when he leaves some other Bozos come along like City and do the same, then another in the Saudis, not only is it not a linear progression, it is exponential

Yes, I have been watching and paying attention. But also in the nicest way, I will direct the same question to you: have you not been watching/paying attention over the last 20 years? The club has been on a consistent upward trajectory. Yet for some unexplained reason people think that ENIC has decided to halt this trajectory now that we are in or on the fringes of top 4. Which doesn't make any sense, and especially so from a business standpoint.

I think we all agree that one of ENIC's objectives is to maximize the value of the club. Well, how do you do that? You don't do it by just making CL. That'll give you a nice chunk of change every year, but it won't increase the value beyond what it already is. Now if you win stuff (and I mean league and CL titles, not domestic cups), that's what catapults the club's value. Not to mention it makes the fans extremely happy too. So to claim that ENIC just care about top 4, is counterintuitive to say the least.

And another thing that people conveniently ignore is that the higher you climb, the more difficult it is to get to the next level. It's much easier to go from the lower end of the table and establish yourself in midtable than it is from midtable to the EL and ECL spots. And more difficult to get from the EL/ECL spots to the CL spots. And then even more difficult to get from the CL spots to a title. It's not linear, yet people treat it like it is. It might take you 10 years, for example, to get from an average finish of 12th to an average finish of 4th and then take you another 10 years to win the title (and all this is assuming you do it organically like we have). Yet people think that, if we were 3rd and 2nd the previous years, we should automatically be expected to be 1st the following year. In the PL, no less! That is the epitome of delusion.

Who said anything about winning the league?

My belief is that the overriding priority of the club is to finish top 4. I’m working with the clues I have:

Need/desire for the cash it brings
Levy emphasising it so blatantly in his statement
Kane rested for the FA Cup game

That's the kind of stuff you want to know about a manager. Every half-decent manager is detail-oriented and puts in a lot of hours and some of them also play one exciting system or another. But not everyone can inspire their players to play their best and take them to the next level. I had my reservations about de Zerbi, but after reading this I'd be happy if he was the one we appointed. (still prefer Gallardo, though :))

I wonder if de Zerbi could get our current crop playing in a similar style. Re: Brighton it sounds like a match made in heaven - from their recruitment style of technically good players who keep the ball - he already had a great platform.

I’m not saying we don’t have good players. But for a few years now we’ve probably been the opposite of that.

Players like Kane, Kulu, Bentancur and Porro I think have it. Maybe Sarr, Bissouma he could develop.

Who said anything about winning the league?

My belief is that the overriding priority of the club is to finish top 4. I’m working with the clues I have:

Need/desire for the cash it brings
Levy emphasising it so blatantly in his statement
Kane rested for the FA Cup game
Again you're assuming that ENIC has determined it wants to stop the upward trajectory. It hasn't. But in order to continue and win something major we need to establish ourselves as a club that will make CL.

Kane not starting in the FA Cup was the manager's decision. You do need to rest players once in a while and what better game than the reserves of Sheffield.

As for what Levy emphasized in his statement, what else was left to play for when he made that statement??

So if the chavs sack potter they will obviously move for nagelsmann.

Does he pick them or us?

He'd go for them clearly given the ££$£$£$£ which they've spent.

Bigger risk is that they don't sack Potter but Nagelsmann hold on for that role, but perhaps the new owner at Chelsea sticks with Potter. Therefore Levy delays appointing a manager whilst the Potter things plays out

He'd go for them clearly given the ££$£$£$£ which they've spent.

Bigger risk is that they don't sack Potter but Nagelsmann hold on for that role, but perhaps the new owner at Chelsea sticks with Potter. Therefore Levy delays appointing a manager whilst the Potter things plays out
We won’t wait for another club to possibly sack a manager
I also don’t think Nagelsmann will got to a club not in Europe

Well we know what happened the last time Chelsea weren’t in Europe (unfortunately)
We do
But I don’t think they have the calibre of players who had won the league only two seasons before ….
And they do have to sell a lot of players this summer

Back