• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
A top 4-6 club that needs to start winning trophies. Longer term goal to move into the top 1-2. There must be someone available who has done that.
I don't think it needs to be someone that has done that and that is not how we should be approaching the manager search. Rather we should be looking for someone whose management and football philosophy has the highest likelihood of achieving that. And not as a one-off, but in a sustained fashion.

Same article earlier ->

The hierarchy grew tired of his public jabs at the club's ambition and exasperated by the narrative that it was Conte who would decide if he would leave in the summer. By January, there had been a boardroom shift. Tottenham were no longer pining for Conte to extend his contract. By February, it was a case of when, not if, he would leave.

The team finished in the top four last season but even then there were trust issues due to concerns Conte wanted the Paris Saint-Germain head coaching job and, through his intermediaries, was making no secret of it. There has always been this sense that Tottenham was beneath Conte that he was doing them a favour. That never sat well with those in positions of power at the club.

Completely. Hopefully that will be corrected in the new guy and we'll get someone who wants to be at Spurs

I don't think it needs to be someone that has done that and that is not how we should be approaching the manager search. Rather we should be looking for someone whose management and football philosophy has the highest likelihood of achieving that. And not as a one-off, but in a sustained fashion.

We also need to be true to ourselves in that respect. What kind of football is meant to represent what THFC stands for? No point in getting in someone who advocates the antithesis of that.

Who are you thinking of here? Can you give an example?

Nagelsmann took Hoffenheim from 7 points adrift of Bundesliga survival with 14 (?) games remaining to 4th the following season and then 3rd in his second full season.

Then finished 3rd and then 2nd with Liepzig, however they finished 3rd the season prior to his arrival.

He then got "parachuted' in to an elite club and won the league & cup double in his first full season - which is probably to be expected as par for a club like Bayern, 2nd season with them he left with them 2nd in the table.

In terms of Scaras very narrow criteria of taking a club from outside the CL to having them in the CL and then achieving par with an elite club eg not giving up a single domestic trophy regardless of caveats like joining part way through a season with the side in a poor position (even though that's clearly just in there so he can discount Poch for some peculiar reason) then he would be the standout/only person who qualifies.

Last edited:
Impairment charge is only relevant if you have some banking covenants which relate to book value. Its non-cash and, other that an indication that we overpaid for an asset, is otherwise irrelevant
I'm just thinking about the the past where we tended to loan players out until the point that we could sell them without having to book a loss.

For once, can we just employ a manager that has experience in what we need?

Rather than have managers with experience of taking midtable teams to the top 6 or winning stuff with teams that are already winning stuff, can we please have a manager who knows how to get a top 4/6 team to the top 1/2?
While still maintaining a only 5th/6th biggest budget?.... Does such a manager exist?

On reflection I guess Arteta will achieve this at Arsenal this season. However it is a moot point as our chairman would've sacked him after his first 8th place finish in season 2019/20, let alone when repeating it a season later in 2020/21.

While still maintaining a only 5th/6th biggest budget?.... Does such a manager exist?

On reflection I guess Arteta will achieve this at Arsenal this season. However it is a moot point as our chairman would've sacked him after his first 8th place finish in season 2019/20, let alone when repeating it a season later in 2020/21.

I'm confused. We have the 5th/6th biggest budget. Yet regularly finish higher than that. Yet you criticise enic/levy?

We also need to be true to ourselves in that respect. What kind of football is meant to represent what THFC stands for? No point in getting in someone who advocates the antithesis of that.
The question is what does "true to ourselves" really mean? If it's a particular style of playing, then we should be prepared to suffer not winning anything for a while, if that style is just pleasing to watch, but doesn't produce results.

I would rather we play winning football, whatever "winning football" happens to be at any given time. If it's coupled with a beautiful playing style, great. If not, but it produces league titles and CL trophies, I'm fine with that too. Atletico aside, however, winning football will invariably also include football that is pleasing to the eye. And if it doesn't, a league title or CL trophy will more than make up for it.

Whichever way you slice it, the football that you play should be one that wins games. Beautiful football with no results will eventually get tiring too.

The question is what does "true to ourselves" really mean? If it's a particular style of playing, then we should be prepared to suffer not winning anything for a while, if that style is just pleasing to watch, but doesn't produce results.

I would rather we play winning football, whatever "winning football" happens to be at any given time. If it's coupled with a beautiful playing style, great. If not, but it produces league titles and CL trophies, I'm fine with that too. Atletico aside, however, winning football will invariably also include football that is pleasing to the eye. And if it doesn't, a league title or CL trophy will more than make up for it.

Whichever way you slice it, the football that you play should be one that wins games. Beautiful football with no results will eventually get tiring too.

Why does exciting football mean not winning things? I don't get the logic.

Although statistically there is a correlation between table position and a team's wages, that doesn't mean that it always works out that way. Excellent recruitment and a very good manager can help a team finish above where its wage structure would dictate it should. For example, if you are able to identify a couple exciting players every season, their wages won't be as high, but their quality would still be on par with higher paid players. Couple that with a good manager that sets up the team well according to the players he has available and the opposition and you will get results. This doesn't mean you will be challenging every year, but it does mean that in a year where other teams above you in the wage table fall off you can capitalize.

So I don't buy the wage argument. If we were 15th/16th in the wage table, you'd have a point. But we're 5th/6th in the wage table. So, although we will not be dominating year in and year out, the occasional title is not a farfetched achievement.

Back