• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
There is no one left who we could realistic attract that would tick all those boxes.

Best bet now is Potter.

That's where my head is too if we can land Potter before he signs for Nice. Potter then Rodgers then Ange P

Still hoping that there is someone who has been overlooked, or who suddenly frees up, but it you look at the long-lists at bookies (and ignoring the odds) I'm not holding out much hope

So basically we were never seriously interested in him, and never even asked about a fee for his services - straight from the horses mouth. Is that enough evidence?! Some will still argue against this I'm sure....

I imagine the line will now be "how could we not even make them an offer! He was the best candidate!" etc, despite no one knowing anything about him 3 months ago.

Somewhat irrelevant. Good thing is that is done. We move on (unfortunately)

Not really irrelevant in the context of anyone complaining that we wouldn't agree a fee with Feyenoord. Makes sense if Slot/his agent weren't coming across as wholly interested.
But yes, better now than time wasted.
Shame as it did sound like he could have been a good fit.

I'm pretty sure he tried his hand as an agent. I vaguely remember sending him an offer for my services as a linguist and joking about his time at Spurs. Could be that my memory is playing tricks on my but anyway.

I think you're missing my point. So, ol' Ramon has no club. Ok. TV pundits have no clue. I think I read the other day that @Finney Is Back's contacts in the game said we didn't have much luck in sounding out potential new DoFs. So who has a clue? Only Levy? That would like saying the only guy who can talk about a murder is the murderer himself (he was there, after all)!

Again, all the questioning on here has zero effect on Spurs so why should we dismiss everything straightaway? Maybe he's right.
He could be right, but then again he may not be right. The things that get posted on Twitter and other social media 99% of the time is people ranting about something, football, politics whatever. Then others pick up on it and post something similar and it's just a brickshow with no facts behind anything that is said. Then it's 100 people have posted it on twitter so it must be fact.

Finney may have talked to someone in football but (nothing against Finney) I'm not putting much weight in what some minor agent claims he's heard. Again, he may be right but then again it could be just someone trying to make themselves out to be in the know.

If you look at the press they have so many stories that contradict each other and often there's contradictions in the same piece. Everyone picks what suits their agenda and runs with that and we end up with extremes, in this case everything is Levy's fault or it's everyone else's fault. The truth is most likely somewhere in the middle but bad news gets more attention so most of the press is going to paint a picture of doom and gloom.

The only thing that matters here is the outcome. If we get the right structures in place, recruit a decent DoF and manager it makes no difference what brick the Vagas of the world or the press spout.

I was thinking about this earlier and although on the face of it being turned down by potential candidates is a worry, less than ideal and can be seen as embarrassing surely the idea would be to get a candidate that wants to be at the club and wants the job, one that feels they can work within the framework and add value. Now that might be someone that is a less sexier name but I would rather someone with the vision, skills and drive to improve us than someone taking a punt and the job purely for the salary or having the name Tottenham Hotspurs on their CV. Its probably part of the reason we got into such a stick situation with Conte TBH....

The feeling I got at the time was that we either badgered Conte until he signed or he realised there was nothing else for him at the time. It went well enough at first so I don't really question is professionalism. Quite the opposite, in fact.

A long time ago, Hajduk Split appointed a Croatian manager who had made a career in Spain. He stayed for one day. He had one training session, asked a ball boy to put the equipment away at the end of the session and the kid told him: 'Why don't you do it yourself, since it's your idea'. He resigned the same day, doesn't even appear in the list of former managers and gave an interview in which he basically said: 'Sorry, I can't do that anymore'.

When you're used to a certain standard or environment, sometimes, it's difficult to go back. If you're used to working on a computer, a typewriter might not have the same appeal. Maybe Dier was Conte's typewriter...

We will find a manager, there's no doubt about that. Will this manager command the respect of the players, that's another matter though. We all saw what happened with Nuno, not to mention Gross. But I agree that we need to find a manager who fits in with where we are the moment, ie the beginning of a cycle.

So basically we were never seriously interested in him, and never even asked about a fee for his services - straight from the horses mouth. Is that enough evidence?! Some will still argue against this I'm sure....
At the start of the negotiations Levy had him sign a gagging order that he had to say all that if things broke down

He could be right, but then again he may not be right. The things that get posted on Twitter and other social media 99% of the time is people ranting about something, football, politics whatever. Then others pick up on it and post something similar and it's just a brickshow with no facts behind anything that is said. Then it's 100 people have posted it on twitter so it must be fact.

Finney may have talked to someone in football but (nothing against Finney) I'm not putting much weight in what some minor agent claims he's heard. Again, he may be right but then again it could be just someone trying to make themselves out to be in the know.

If you look at the press they have so many stories that contradict each other and often there's contradictions in the same piece. Everyone picks what suits their agenda and runs with that and we end up with extremes, in this case everything is Levy's fault or it's everyone else's fault. The truth is most likely somewhere in the middle but bad news gets more attention so most of the press is going to paint a picture of doom and gloom.

The only thing that matters here is the outcome. If we get the right structures in place, recruit a decent DoF and manager it makes no difference what brick the Vagas of the world or the press spout.

Of course, Vega could be wrong. What's interesting is that many people with no connection to each other make similar comments. It's by no means a proof (we will never have one) but, for me, it means it's something that could be worth considering.

I was about to say I disagree with your comment about the outcome but, looking at it again, I think we're closer than I think. The methodology is the important thing. You can reach a desirable outcome every once in a while, even with a wrong method. What we're looking for is a method that would allow us to get it right most of the time. That's why I think some people at the club should be questioning the way they go about their business.

I don't live in England so I could be wrong but look at Chelsea's situation. They're certainly a much bigger story than Spurs: horrible season and sacked their manager a couple of weeks after we did. Do you see the same kind of stories about them?

Goes without saying that if they start the season without a manager and we have Pochettino and Nagelsmann on the bench, you will be proved right but I dare say that doesn't look like the most probable outcome at the moment (although I'd be more than happy to eat a good slice of humble pie in August!).

Of course, Vega could be wrong. What's interesting is that many people with no connection to each other make similar comments. It's by no means a proof (we will never have one) but, for me, it means it's something that could be worth considering.

I was about to say I disagree with your comment about the outcome but, looking at it again, I think we're closer than I think. The methodology is the important thing. You can reach a desirable outcome every once in a while, even with a wrong method. What we're looking for is a method that would allow us to get it right most of the time. That's why I think some people at the club should be questioning the way they go about their business.

I don't live in England so I could be wrong but look at Chelsea's situation. They're certainly a much bigger story than Spurs: horrible season and sacked their manager a couple of weeks after we did. Do you see the same kind of stories about them?

Goes without saying that if they start the season without a manager and we have Pochettino and Nagelsmann on the bench, you will be proved right but I dare say that doesn't look like the most probable outcome at the moment (although I'd be more than happy to eat a good slice of humble pie in August!).
The methodology is important that's why I mentioned getting the right structures in place as well as a Dof and manager. Abandoning the DoF to please Poch was a big mistake and we're seeing that now. As a result our structures aren't what they should be. With those in place hopefully we'll be sticking to the same sort of manager in the future and have some continuity.

Chelsea are even a bigger basket case than us. We (certainly I) don't notice the Chelsea stories, just give them a casual glance, it's the Spurs stories that we notice so it seems a bigger focus on us. Every club thinks the media has an agenda against them.

€20m is high in the manager market relatively speaking but I would imagine we would be prepared to go to around €10m, so my feeling is that if we are convinced on Slot’s credentials and considering the very worrying downward spiral we are in (not even to mention the Kane situation) I would be inclined to pay the extra €10m. It is after all relatively small change in the football world.

Assuming Nagelsmann and Poch are not gettable we need to just push ahead and appoint Potter now. He will fit into the new data based set up we want so get him in and be done with this farce please.
20 million is not high if you are paying for a Pep or Klopp or Ancelotti. It is, however, when you are paying for a manager unproven outside the Eredivisie. Feyenoord could have actually asked for even more, given how much value Slot has generated for them in terms of player valuations and revenue in terms of CL qualification. And how much more revenue he had the potential of generating.

If it was me, I would have paid the 20 million to get him in, but that would have been based on the information I have about him. What I don't know, and what no one knows, is what the actual list of pros and cons Spurs had compiled on him were. Based on that list it may have clearly been a "No" for 20m. I also don't know, and no one else knows, if there were other candidates with similar pros and cons that would have cost less to get and maybe even less in terms of salary. We all know that it is impossible to guarantee any manager will be successful, bar a handful. So when you are making these types of decisions, where there is equal downside and equal upside to two or more options, your tiebreaker is the cost. Nothing strange about that and, assuming that this is how the manager search is being approached, it is not strange that we didn't pony up for Slot.

It's not the manager thing for me - I'm resigned that we are going to get another 6 month journeyman.

But I'm going to cancel my OneHotspur membership (deadline for that is Tues) if the weekend's results mean there are no European/midweek games to go to next year
Luckily my 2 STs are already paid for (almost for the next 3 years actually) with me selling Spurs points at the point that Levy got rid of Conte. I might have a look to see if I can find a 23/24 market for the same as I think we’ll still likely be a brilliant sell on that.

You dont have access to any real information though.

You can accuse Levy of many things, but stupid isn't one of them. He is aware of our underperformance and the pressure to get this next appointment right. He will be aware of how popular Poch is and how he could easily appease the majority of fans by appointing him. If it was that simple he would be here, or at least offered the job.

So why isn't he? Well for starters it appears Poch demanded having full control over transfers at Chelsea, he won't get that here. We want the DOF model, and regardless Levy has already experience of overseeing Poch transfers and to be fair the success rate isnt great. You can argue as much as you want how they weren't his signings, that is all too convenient - if he wasnt having a say in transfers he or any manager worth their salt would have walked.

As for not even discussing with Poch, how do you know? Levy and Poch have a personal relationship, there is no need to involve agents which means you wouldn't hear any talk in the media as they wouldn't be aware other than for the usual fabricated media nonsense.

In short, yes Poch was an obvious quick fix to a lot of fans but that doesn't mean it was the right answer when you know only a small segment of the story.....
I suspect Pochettino told Levy he didn’t want to come back to Spurs. It is surely the only logical conclusion.

The amount of money spent on sacking managers could have been spent on players said managers wanted. Make it make sense. We are gonna head into pre season with nobody aren't we??
No, it couldn't. Between Jose and Poch we maybe paid 10-15m to fire them. Conte probably another 1-2m. You think getting the players these managers wanted would have cost us 17m in fees and salaries??

Back