• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Jesus, it's grim at the moment. All feels a bit hopeless doesn't it? I can't see who or what Levy pulls out of the hat to get people on board. Poch is the obvious answer but Chelsea is a done deal. Therefore, aside from Nagelsmann, I don't see who else we can get that doesn't leave the supporters feeling short-changed.

Levy's position is becoming very, very difficult.

Whilst I'm generally a Levy supporter, his position is being difficult in the sense that, as tou say, its hard to see who he appoints which unites club and fans if its not Poch, Slot or maybe Nagelsmann. I struggle to see other names which would inspire even 30% of fans let alone a majority

His position isnt difficult in that he wont fire himself, though as someone said earlier, if Levy was working for Levy, then Levy would have fired himself given his manager appointment track record

How many games did Potter manage Brighton for this season? (genuine question) was it a fair sample of a small number of games?
6 games, it's a small size but the games included there first ever away win against Utd and a draw against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. They were also playing really good football.

It's not just this season though, they were improving every year under Potter.

6 games, it's a small size but the games included there first ever away win against Utd and a draw against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. They were also playing really good football.

It's not just this season though, they were improving every year under Potter.

Brighton fans said that the team struggled to score goals, and if de zerbi and Potter were both available.... there would only be one name on the list ... and it's not potter

Hardly a graveyard - Conte will take another top job, Mourinho went to Roma which is about his level these days and more or less the level we are at and Poch went from us to PSG and seemingly off to Chelsea.

Yes, I thought that was a bad phrase. We are definitely a hire & fire club though if you look at our manager turnover and even ignoring caretakers. That will deter some managers unless you pay them spectacularly.

We need the next guy to stay for at least 3 years to start to remove some of that hire/fire reputation as its will inevitably deter someone like de Zerbi (or whoever the next de Z is) from leaving their place for Spurs.

For them to stay for 3 years though, expectations need to be lowered to say top 7 finish rather than top 4

Hardly a graveyard - Conte will take another top job, Mourinho went to Roma which is about his level these days and more or less the level we are at and Poch went from us to PSG and seemingly off to Chelsea.
Yes but both of those managers had HUGE levels of success before joining us, we are merely ‘the club that no manager can win at anyway’ so big teams will look past their ‘failure’ with us.

(Though neither manager ‘failed’ with us anyway…. Conte got us 4th and had us on course for a 4th to 6th finish this season. Mourinho got us 6th and was in a cup final and on course for another 6th finish the following season).

Of course Poch went to a bigger role. He was the complete opposite of a failure at Spurs, in fact being an incredible success finishing ahead of resources provided 5 years in a row.

Yes but both of those managers had HUGE levels of success before joining us, we are merely ‘the club that no manager can win at anyway’ so big teams will look past their ‘failure’ with us.

(Though neither manager ‘failed’ with us anyway…. Conte got us 4th and had us on course for a 4th to 6th finish this season. Mourinho got us 6th and was in a cup final and on course for another 6th finish the following season)

And Poch?

Point is that the graveyard term is inaccurate, clearly.

Brighton fans said that the team struggled to score goals, and if de zerbi and Potter were both available.... there would only be one name on the list ... and it's not potter
They created chances but didn't take them, they had Maupay as a striker and he can't get a look in at a brick Everton.
And of course Brighton fans are going to pick De Zebri, they're coming off their best season ever.
It isn't a case of one is good and the other is brick. Potter built really good foundations, which could be seen at the start of the season, and De Zebri has continued to build on that.

They created chances but didn't take them, they had Maupay as a striker and he can't get a look in at a brick Everton.
And of course Brighton fans are going to pick De Zebri, they're coming off their best season ever.
It isn't a case of one is good and the other is brick. Potter built really good foundations, which could be seen at the start of the season, and De Zebri has continued to build on that.
I’ve been more impressed with De Zerbi’s Brighton than Potter’s Brighton in the games that I have seen. However I think Brighton’s real secret is in their recruitment and continuity planning (both for their playing squad and coaching team).

They were devastated with Potter left too, so as much as they did well replacing him with a gem of a find we can't start reimagining the past. They gave him pelters on his return because of how burnt they felt, you don't do that for someone you were happy to see jump.

I think the new gaffer there is a huge bright spark don't get me wrong, but people are now putting more downer on Potter than the reality because of their worry he might be our next gaffer.

Reading this mornings posts there are alot of confused angry and slightly inconsistent posts and I get it, but as I say I think people are needlessly working themselves into slight frenzy here.

For them to stay for 3 years though, expectations need to be lowered to say top 7 finish rather than top 4

I have been thinking the same thing, next season we are going to struggle who ever is in charge. Domestic cups and top 10 for a season at best. Reminds me a bit of the early Burkinshaw days. The game has changed a lot since then, first sniff of bad form and you're out. Nobody has the luxury of time to build a team these days.

My only issue with Potter now would be how much of Brightons growth over those years was down to him and how much was down to their much lauded player recruitment division?

Makes sense, and its a risk. But if we're not going to buy-out managers of other teams, and recognising that we're not going for Poch or JN, then each possible manager comes with a risk

I have been thinking the same thing, next season we are going to struggle who ever is in charge. Domestic cups and top 10 for a season at best. Reminds me a bit of the early Burkinshaw days. The game has changed a lot since then, first sniff of bad form and you're out. Nobody has the luxury of time to build a team these days.

Well, it depends on how you define struggle. However I was reading something earlier which suggested we should try to find our version of Arteta...which makes sense but if there was such a person at another club (eg assistant to someone at a major team) you'd need to wonder whether they'd leave to join us given our turnover of managers.

It'll take time (3+ years) but Levy really needs to change the clubs hire/fire reputation. In order to do that, he needs to lower expectations for the manager

Otherwise you're always going to struggle to attract the next up and coming manager

Well, it depends on how you define struggle. However I was reading something earlier which suggested we should try to find our version of Arteta...which makes sense but if there was such a person at another club (eg assistant to someone at a major team) you'd need to wonder whether they'd leave to join us given our turnover of managers.

It'll take time (3+ years) but Levy really needs to change the clubs hire/fire reputation. In order to do that, he needs to lower expectations for the manager

Otherwise you're always going to struggle to attract the next up and coming manager

Everyone needs to refocus their expectations in that case and I think its the best route for Tottenham based on where we are BTW. The people who rightfully moaned about our lack of professionalism, success, systems, structure and direction also have to reset and not clock watch because it will take time for that to set with what we already know with Munn, the need for a new DOF and likely a manager who will have to build. Do people want us to get it right or get it done today? I want it right and want the right people personally, I think its more critical to do that now than ever before.

My only issue with Potter now would be how much of Brightons growth over those years was down to him and how much was down to their much lauded player recruitment division?
Impossible to tell
But he has previous for winning at arsenal with inferior players
He won there in Europe
And he did change the football they played significantly
Players that Chris Hughton had playing defensive long ball

Back