• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Nagelsmann and Pochettino were both available this summer. A proper big team will poach De Zerbi if his good work continues into next season. Slot’s release clause will be removed or increased substantially if and when he signs a new deal at Feyenoord.

Agreed. If they succeed for another year, they wont be interested in us. If they have a poor season, we wont be interested in them. Probably a grey area in between, but its a bit like signing players in that they might be gettable one year and out of reach he next

I dont know. Brighton and Brentford, and to an extent Leicester too, are the ones often mentioned as ysing analytics etc in their player search. Do they have a big name DoF too?
They don’t have to be a ‘big name’. They just have to be good. It is worrying though when potential DoFs are turning down your approaches.

They don’t have to be a ‘big bame’. They just have to be good. It is worrying though when potential DoFs are turning down your approaches.

Its a bit understandable - you want them to be big/experienced enough that they can cover the full remit of decisions including manager appointments, but not be so senior or have a big enough ego that they have a problem reporting to Munn rather than Levy. I can see why the Munn role might be an issue for some potential DoFs

Apparently De Zerbi wants at least one more year at Brighton and Slot’s release clause comes into effect in Summer 2024.

Daniel to appoint the PL's first caretaker on a 12 month contract (as opposed to Nuno, who only got 3 months)? Nice cheap option. Wouldn't rule it out.

They don’t have to be a ‘big name’. They just have to be good. It is worrying though when potential DoFs are turning down your approaches.

The question is what is the conversation that then agrees that either party doesn't want to go ahead ... what is that reason?

In what way did he transform Japanese football? (genuine question)

Here's a few articles worth reading:

- https://sport.optus.com.au/news/j-league/os26812/ange-postecoglou-celtic-japan-yokohama-australia
- https://sport.optus.com.au/news/j1-league/os2390/how-japan-sees-ange
- https://www.sbs.com.au/sport/articl...n-is-unmatched-and-not-finished-yet/vwwf681ng

Yes, they are written by Australians for Australian media, but there was no one else writing about him at the time. It's hard to find proper Japanese articles like this, but this video might give you a feeling for how revered he is by Yokohama F. Marinos and their fans. When he left, Marinos appointed one of his former players and coaches, Kevin Muscat, and he also won the league last season.

Edit: here's a couple of Japanese blogs that talk about it:

- https://fool-man-wrote.work/2021/06/14/ange/
- https://note.com/rod25/n/n5a61a87fb026

The second with a section on "What Ange Postecoglu gave to Japanese football":

【アンジェが日本サッカーにくれたもの】
アンジェが日本サッカーにくれたもの、それは①トランジションと②ポジショニングの新概念である。

①について。トランジションとは、ボール保持→非保持、もしくは非保持→保持と局面が切り替わる数秒間のことを指すわけだが、いかに局面の切り替えをシームレスに、かつ効率的にゴールまで迫るか、という部分において、マリノスはリーグ全体に鮮烈な印象を与えた。ボールを奪ったら素早く仲川、エリキ、マテウスの"爆速3トップ"に預けて一気に攻めきってしまう。そんなマリノスの強さを肌で感じた各クラブが、以後トランジション局面における速さを重視するようになった例は枚挙にいとまがない。

②について。これは定義するよりも事例を挙げるのが手っ取り早いだろう。偽サイドバックである。サイドバックはその名の通りサイドに張ってプレーする、というサッカー界のステレオタイプに一石を投じたのがアンジェである。たしかにそれ以前にもペップグアルディオラを中心にサイドバックのポジショニングの固定概念を崩す監督は何人もいたのだが、アンジェもその一人として挙げられるべきであり、またそれをJリーグに持ち込んだ人物と言っても差し支えない。

先に断っておくが、すべてアンジェの狙いのもとに日本サッカーにもたらされたものとは思わない。どちらかというと、偶然の産物めいたものである。

これらがJリーグ、ひいては日本サッカーにもたらされたのは、やはり2019年のリーグ制覇が大きく関係している。かのシーズンを経て、少なからずアンジェのマリノスの影響を受けたように見受けられるチームはいくつか存在している。

例えば川崎があれだけポジショニングを整備し、トランジション局面を重視するようになったのは、少なからず2019年11月の試合が出発点となっている部分があるだろう。また、清水が2019シーズンまでアンジェの右腕として働いていたピータークラモフスキーを監督に招聘したのは、少なからずアンジェ・マリノスのサッカーに感銘を受けた部分が大きいはずだ。

コロナウイルスによるパンデミック、およそ5か月のリーグ中断という大きな分断がありながらも、2020シーズン、そして2021シーズンの各クラブの試合を見ていると、2019シーズンのマリノスに着想を得たようなエッセンスが随所に見られるようになった。

これらが、アンジェが日本サッカーにくれたものなのである。

Last edited:
I said this a while ago…. Taking the Spurs job is a very big risk for a manager who has a good (but not lengthy) reputation. We got “no thanks’d” by a fair few managers before we eventually stumbled our way to appointing Nuno in 2021. Some managing clubs where one would naturally expect them to gladly leave to join THFC.

Generally when a person is considering a new senior role they will look at three things….
1. Remuneration
2. Expectations and success criteria
3. Autonomy.

If one of the things isn’t really right then the other two have to be massively skewed to make it worthwhile. If two of the three aren’t there then they shouldn’t accept the role.

I dont know. Brighton and Brentford, and to an extent Leicester too, are the ones often mentioned as ysing analytics etc in their player search. Do they have a big name DoF too?
Brighton had Dan Ashworth
He is a high profile guy who is now at Saudi Sportswashing Machine

I said this a while ago…. Taking the Spurs job is a very big risk for a manager who has a good (but not lengthy) reputation. We got “no thanks’d” by a fair few managers before we eventually stumbled our way to appointing Nuno in 2023. Some managing clubs where one would naturally expect them to gladly leave to join THFC.

Generally when a person is considering a new senior role they will look at three things…. Remuneration, expectations and success criteria and autonomy.

If one of the things isn’t really right then the other two have to be massively skewed to make it worthwhile. If two of the three aren’t there then they shouldn’t accept the role.

Jesus, it's grim at the moment. All feels a bit hopeless doesn't it? I can't see who or what Levy pulls out of the hat to get people on board. Poch is the obvious answer but Chelsea is a done deal. Therefore, aside from Nagelsmann, I don't see who else we can get that doesn't leave the supporters feeling short-changed.

Levy's position is becoming very, very difficult.

Jesus, it's grim at the moment. All feels a bit hopeless doesn't it? I can't see who or what Levy pulls out of the hat to get people on board. Poch is the obvious answer but Chelsea is a done deal. Therefore, aside from Nagelsmann, I don't see who else we can get that doesn't leave the supporters feel short-changed.

Levy's position is becoming very, very difficult.
Yet the club told its official mouthpieces that we didn’t have any interest in even talking to Pochettino or Nagelsmann.

Last guy who came from the J-League to the Prem didn't do too badly iirc.. Might not happen a lot, but you can't dismiss a person just because they haven't worked in the so-called best league in the world.

In the interim, I have sent Levy my FM07 CV.
Wasn’t Wenger successful at Monaco before going to Japan though?

Wenger’s success also didn’t really come mostly due to his coaching, it came from his incredibly extensive knowledge of players throughout the World. In many ways Wenger would make a brilliant DoF. I think the Arsenal fans were incredibly short sited (as well as ungrateful) in chasing such a brilliantly manager out of their club. I think his natural progression a year or two later would’ve been to have moved upstairs and they could’ve been scarily good if that happened.

I said this a while ago…. Taking the Spurs job is a very big risk for a manager who has a good (but not lengthy) reputation. We got “no thanks’d” by a fair few managers before we eventually stumbled our way to appointing Nuno in 2021. Some managing clubs where one would naturally expect them to gladly leave to join THFC.

Generally when a person is considering a new senior role they will look at three things….
1. Remuneration
2. Expectations and success criteria
3. Autonomy.

You need someone for who Spurs is a clear step up but isnt on such an ascendancy in the PL that they're ungettable (de Zerbi for example would never risk moving o a hire & fire club like we are now). Its why Slot felt like a good name. PL is a big step up from the Netherlands and he probably wouldnt get a bigger role, at least not this year.

Either that or you need someone who failed in a recent role...but even then, someone like Potter who failed quickly at Chelsea will natrually look for stability, and thats one thing which you dont get at Spurs. Risk is that Potter looks for somewhere with more realistic expectations, whereas Rodgers (who I think would take the role) might be ok with high expectations given he's coming off long stints at clubs

Last guy who came from the J-League to the Prem didn't do too badly iirc.. Might not happen a lot, but you can't dismiss a person just because they haven't worked in the so-called best league in the world.

In the interim, I have sent Levy my FM07 CV.

Haha, I was a master on the 00/01 version

I also think for balance, people often and rightfully laud a Brighton for their ways and want to be seen to be run like them, would we have taken and celebrated a De Zerbi as we would now had we gone after Shaktars manager? I strongly doubt it but it but we would now, which proves that the name does not have to be marque so to speak and it proves that there are alot of managers out there than this narrowed down version of who people would see as acceptable.

Back