• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

That Lyon goal was one of my top memories of last season!

I don't think it's confidence as much as AVB asking him to play deeper because of Pauli. Next to sandro he was allowed more licence to roam forward.

No doubt with his shot be should be scoring more though.

That Lyon goal was one of my top memories of last season!

I don't think it's confidence as much as AVB asking him to play deeper because of Pauli. Next to sandro he was allowed more licence to roam forward.

No doubt with his shot be should be scoring more though.

he came out and said he doesnt like shooting last season.

he came out and said he doesnt like shooting last season.

Did he actually said that ? Thought all the Spurs players love to shoot looking at the past few matches. Looking at his well-taken penalty against Dembele, not sure why Dembele is not trying to score more goals.

Did he actually said that ? Thought all the Spurs players love to shoot looking at the past few matches. Looking at his well-taken penalty against Dembele, not sure why Dembele is not trying to score more goals.

yep, i'll try find the article for you

Dembele took a penalty against himself? No wonder he scored, probably let if in on purpose ;)

Tottenham's Mousa Dembele on why he is not the new Luca Modric | Mail Online
Mousa Dembele is explaining why he does not score many goals — just six in the Barclays Premier League since joining Fulham in August 2010.
The Tottenham midfielder takes his time and chooses his words carefully, exhibiting the same calm, unhurried manner and balance with which he plays.
It’s not a lack of confidence, he says, but a desire to score the right kind of goal; to ‘do it nice and beautiful’. Welcome to the relaxed, laid-back world of Planet Dembele, where time seems to tick at a different pace and style is everything.

‘I just like to play, to pass the ball and dribble,’ says the Belgium star. ‘When I was young I never shot. I always wanted to dribble the ball in the goal. I don’t want to shoot because I don’t like to, but it’s different now. You have more experience and you think more.
‘Is it about scoring the perfect goal? Yes, maybe. Before I always played on the street with two lampposts that were like a basketball pitch, and we could not shoot. You had to dribble and touch the ball on the posts to score. We never shoot the ball.
‘So maybe it’s because I always played on the street and I liked to do it nice and beautiful.’ He smiles, before saying ‘boom’ and mimicking a driving shot from distance.
‘I know now it’s important to shoot and have the combination,’ he adds, ‘not only to dribble but to shoot a lot as well. I try to do this more and more.

‘It’s true that I have to improve my hunger to score goals and I think in the last two years I have concentrated more on this. I don’t score a lot of goals but before I only thought about playing nice football. Now I try to be more important for the team by trying to score goals as well.’

I love Dembele but feel he could be so much more if he truly believed in his own ability. I was watching the match this evening and thinking 'he's about to feint right and go left' and he did. He never goes right!!! He's like the Derek Zoolander of the football world (yeah I know he can't turn left but you get what I mean).

‘But I was nervous because sometimes we were winning and then I would think, “If I keep watching they’re not going to win”. And I would turn the TV over and keep an eye on the live scores. I’m not really superstitious but with this, yes, I was.

Dembele is a Yid!

I love Dembele but feel he could be so much more if he truly believed in his own ability. I was watching the match this evening and thinking 'he's about to feint right and go left' and he did. He never goes right!!! He's like the Derek Zoolander of the football world (yeah I know he can't turn left but you get what I mean).

It's strange because he's obviously confident in a lot of areas. Players that don't believe in their own ability don't square up to midfielders one on one to take them on, yet Dembele does this consistently. He's also not afraid of receiving the ball in tight areas.

Yet, like you, I want him to do more. I really like the way Lamela is constantly asking for the ball, looking for a bit of space to make room for the pass and then almost demanding the pass. It reminds me of Modric and Berba to some extent. I would like to see more of that from Dembele too, he's good enough.

It's strange because he's obviously confident in a lot of areas. Players that don't believe in their own ability don't square up to midfielders one on one to take them on, yet Dembele does this consistently. He's also not afraid of receiving the ball in tight areas.

Yet, like you, I want him to do more. I really like the way Lamela is constantly asking for the ball, looking for a bit of space to make room for the pass and then almost demanding the pass. It reminds me of Modric and Berba to some extent. I would like to see more of that from Dembele too, he's good enough.

Absolutely. He is very confident in possession. That's really his comfort zone.

It's when he breaks past that first challenge that he hesitates for whatever reason. It's that split second where the next defender has moved towards him but hasn't closed the gap that he need to be more decisive. That is the sweet spot for the through pass or shot.

does anyone else feel like me in the sense that 'there is an amazing player there just waiting to shine'????

is he being restricted (shackles) by AVB? I would like to see him make more of the Yaya Toure style devastating runs through the centre just bouncing off oppo players.

does anyone else feel like me in the sense that 'there is an amazing player there just waiting to shine'????

is he being restricted (shackles) by AVB? I would like to see him make more of the Yaya Toure style devastating runs through the centre just bouncing off oppo players.

I doubt it.

Very similar things were said about Dembele during his time at Fulham and he was moved from a more advanced role to the deeper midfield role partly because he wasn't being an amazing Yaya Toure clone further forward.

Also, look at the freedom to bomb forward Paulinho is getting. Why would AVB stop Dembele from doing the same when playing next to Sandro? I just don't see it.

I think that this is another of Moussa's often overlooked weaknesses. He just doesn't seem to have any urgency to get on the ball.

Or, indeed, as is well-documented, urgency when he has the ball. I don't think it's a confidence thing as such. I think it's just in his nature to play in this nonchalant way.

A shame, because his skill and dribbling and strength is genuinely world class for a central midfielder. But because of his lack of urgency off the ball he never really controls a game, and because of his lack of urgency on it he never really creates much. So sometimes, as beautiful as he can be to watch, I can't help but question what he actually contributes to the team and what his role should be.

I think on balance I'd like to see him given a more attacking role alongside a deep-lying passer (Capoue?), where his dribbling ability can at least move us up the pitch and hopefully create some overloads.

I think that this is another of Moussa's often overlooked weaknesses. He just doesn't seem to have any urgency to get on the ball.

Or, indeed, as is well-documented, urgency when he has the ball. I don't think it's a confidence thing as such. I think it's just in his nature to play in this nonchalant way.

A shame, because his skill and dribbling and strength is genuinely world class for a central midfielder. But because of his lack of urgency off the ball he never really controls a game, and because of his lack of urgency on it he never really creates much. So sometimes, as beautiful as he can be to watch, I can't help but question what he actually contributes to the team and what his role should be.

I think on balance I'd like to see him given a more attacking role alongside a deep-lying passer (Capoue?), where his dribbling ability can at least move us up the pitch and hopefully create some overloads.

He should be competition for Townsend at left back.

I agree with you. I think Dembelehas the potential to be sooo much more effective. I still remember the cup game at Fulham against us when he was unplayable Could do with a bit more of that spunk.

Today is a perfect example of the bolded sentence above. He just stands in one spot, making absolutely no attempt to find space so that he can be passed the ball.

i imagine Sandro wasnt fully fit because there is no way in a million years he should EVER be starting over Sandro.

Back