• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

in what way has the market changed?

The sheer amount of money that has entered the game.

In part due to the owners of PSG, City, Chelsea, which is different to other clubs trading players as they use money that is already within the game.

In part due to the majority of tv deals in the game increasing significantly.

Alonso was worth 30m then. Now?

The record transfers have been smashed several times since, and quality player value has been massively inflated.

The sheer amount of money that has entered the game.

In part due to the owners of PSG, City, Chelsea, which is different to other clubs trading players as they use money that is already within the game.

In part due to the majority of tv deals in the game increasing significantly.

Alonso was worth 30m then. Now?

The record transfers have been smashed several times since, and quality player value has been massively inflated.

then how do you explain the big signings prior 2009?

if Alonso was on the market now, he would be worth 30 mill to Real......sensible clubs put a price on a player and try to stick to it. Only if PSG, Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea come in can a selling club demand more. Those clubs pay a premium for signings because of their wealthy backers, not every other club

Wages have skyrocketed in recent years. The whole squad is on massive wonga, not just the stars.

if Alonso was on the market now, he would be worth 30 mill to Real......sensible clubs put a price on a player and try to stick to it. Only if PSG, Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea come in can a selling club demand more. Those clubs pay a premium for signings because of their wealthy backers, not every other club

I don't have to.

30m signing were rarer prior to 2009. They are now not as rare.

As the money in the game goes up, the transfer fees and wages will go up. Seems pretty simple.

They might set a £30m limit. If they were trying to buy him today i don't think it would be enough.

Last edited:

Real are the wealthiest club in the world in terms of revenue. If we can't demand a substantial fee from them, then...?

Personally, I wouldn't bat an eyelid if we kept Modric to the end of his contract and then let him leave on a free. He'll have given us eight years of service, willingly or unwillingly, and surely that goes a long way to settling any loss we may have incurred in terms of his lost transfer fee.

We're in a winning position here. The only way Real can get their hands on our man is if they pay what we want, spurious alleged 'favours' over the Van Der Vaart transfer be damned.

If we let Luka go for less than our declared asking price, then the press will claim that the Rafa 'favour' won out in Levy's thinking. Cue Barca coming in with a 20 million quid fee for Bale and claiming that they did us a favour by selling Dos Santos to us or something. It won't end, and our reputation as the kings of selling clubs will be firmly re-established.

I don't have to.

30m signing were rarer prior to 2009. They are now not as rare.

As the money in the game goes up, the transfer fees and wages will go up. Seems pretty simple.

They might set a £30m limit. If they were trying to buy him today i don't think it would be enough.

like i said, only to the bankrolled clubs like PSG, Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project.....Real, Bayern, Barca, Man Utd are being very careful these days

It's irrelevant.

As we were discussing how the market had changed, and real madrid are not the only team in the market.

in this case they are because Modric wants to go there and other teams havent bothered bidding

in this case they are because Modric wants to go there and other teams havent bothered bidding

Yup and he won't, because their not bidding the value of the player.

They clearly have the money. Somebody else was going on about them making 200m a year earlier in this thread.

Plus the money they'll get from the CL this season is going to be pretty much doubled.

Seems there is a trend for wages to go up and players to chose a club based on wages. That tends to put a downward pressure on the really top transfers (since Ronaldo, Kaka, Ibra...).

But the cost of your average world class player has sky-rocketed.

They clearly have the money. Somebody else was going on about them making 200m a year earlier in this thread.

Plus the money they'll get from the CL this season is going to be pretty much doubled.

It was said they more than made up the money spent on Beckham just in shirt sales

Man Utd make massive profits but i no longer see them joining the bidding wars for players anymore since City and PSG have entered the market. Its a lot to do with the managers. Ferguson and Mourinho know the values of players, they know when too much is too much. Real could have 500 mill sitting in the bank, it doesnt mean Mourinho will agree to paying over the odds for Modric

If they feel they dont want to pay more for Modric than they paid for Alonso, then that is a footballing decision, and it makes sense. I dont think Modric is better than Alonso

Hopefully Mancini has a change of heart and offers 50 mill for Modric and gives him 250k a week and then we can all move on

Man Utd make massive profits but i no longer see them joining the bidding wars for players anymore since City and PSG have entered the market. Its a lot to do with the managers. Ferguson and Mourinho know the values of players, they know when too much is too much. Real could have 500 mill sitting in the bank, it doesnt mean Mourinho will agree to paying over the odds for Modric

If they feel they dont want to pay more for Modric than they paid for Alonso, then that is a footballing decision, and it makes sense. I dont think Modric is better than Alonso

Hopefully Mancini has a change of heart and offers 50 mill for Modric and gives him 250k a week and then we can all move on

True. If that's how they feel they can.

Transfer seems dead in the water at the moment anyway, just like most of our business..

Man Utd make massive profits but i no longer see them joining the bidding wars for players anymore since City and PSG have entered the market.

It might have more to do with the £500 million they've paid in interest, bank fees and currency speculation write-offs since the Glazers took over.

Back