• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Don't you think it's fair that players have some of the power though? We all do when it comes to our jobs - we can leave whenever we want.

But we don't sign six year contracts guaranteeing millions a year, regardless of whether we are up to the job or become incapable of performing the job.

If you compare with other high paying jobs there are also restrictions on jumping ship. A CEO can't just give notice and move to a competitor. A better example might be record contracts for musicians. They can't just cancel a contract and move to a different label.

why are people so sure that modric is on his way? whats changed now than usual tabloid gossip

The stories all summer have all being about him leaving, so with two weeks of the transfer window remaining he has to be moving any time soon. The alternative is they admit to being wrong. If he ends up staying, then Levy can expect some bad press about cruelly keeping him against his will.

You could say that AVB's recent comments have supported this claim. He say he expects the deal to go though and a replacement bought, but I note that he has left the door open:

"I think we will have a conclusion in the next couple of weeks.

"I have to be very careful with the player's emotional state. Losing a player of Luka's dimension will be dramatic if the club is not able to find the right replacement, but we are looking to strengthen immediately if the transfer goes through."

But we don't sign six year contracts guaranteeing millions a year, regardless of whether we are up to the job or become incapable of performing the job.

If you compare with other high paying jobs there are also restrictions on jumping ship. A CEO can't just give notice and move to a competitor. A better example might be record contracts for musicians. They can't just cancel a contract and move to a different label.

That's a fair point.

But football clubs don't exactly honour contracts either. How soon after Paul Robinson signed a long-term contract did we drop him and then ship him off to Blackburn? What about Gomes now? Corluka? Atouba? Bobby Zamora? Not accepting bids for Dos Santos because we want more money, but not playing him?

I appreciate that in technical terms none of these count as breaking a contract, and that players' actions probably sometimes do (e.g. refusing to train or play). But in practical or even moral terms, I don't see how players are generally any worse than clubs. Regardless of a player's contract, clubs have the power to not play them. And although they don't have the power to literally force them to leave the club, by not playing them they effectively do.

If a club thinks that a player is no longer good enough for them, they will stop playing them and will try to sell them. If a player thinks that a club is no longer good enough for them, they might try to stop playing for them and will try to be sold.

That's a fair point.

But football clubs don't exactly honour contracts either. How soon after Paul Robinson signed a long-term contract did we drop him and then ship him off to Blackburn? What about Gomes now? Corluka? Atouba? Bobby Zamora? Not accepting bids for Dos Santos because we want more money, but not playing him?

I appreciate that in technical terms none of these count as breaking a contract, and that players' actions probably sometimes do (e.g. refusing to train or play). But in practical or even moral terms, I don't see how players are generally any worse than clubs. Regardless of a player's contract, clubs have the power to not play them. And although they don't have the power to literally force them to leave the club, by not playing them they effectively do.

If a club thinks that a player is no longer good enough for them, they will stop playing them and will try to sell them. If a player thinks that a club is no longer good enough for them, they might try to stop playing for them and will try to be sold.

I'm not trying to say that the clubs will behave morally or that they can't be ruthless. But the clubs do have to honour their contracts. If the player turns out to be poor, he gets paid in full for the duration of his contract, unless the club can persuade someone else to take him. If the player gets injured then he gets paid.

There is no equivalent of the player going on strike and refusing to play. You can argue that making an unwanted player train alone or play in the reserves is an equivalent, but the player still gets paid. He gets what is in the contract, while when the player strikes the club is denied what is promised them in their contract. The club may be trying to force the player out, but the player has the final say.

Its the nature of football that there is competition for places. There isn't and shouldn't be an obligation to play a particular player if another is playing better, even if he has just signed a new contract. Players know there is competition for places when they sign. But when the player fails to make the grade, the club has to keep paying him, even if the player slacks off and doesn't try hard in training. He has a choice of taking the money or leaving. As to your examples, Robinson, Gomes, Atouba and Corluka lost their places in competition with other players. Is the root of the Dos Santos situation because Levy is being inflexible over the fee or because the player is lazy in training? Zamora was unlucky and perhaps illustrates that the clubs have disproportionate power for young and journeyman players, while the star players have power over the clubs.

I'm not trying to say that the clubs will behave morally or that they can't be ruthless. But the clubs do have to honour their contracts. If the player turns out to be poor, he gets paid in full for the duration of his contract, unless the club can persuade someone else to take him. If the player gets injured then he gets paid.

There is no equivalent of the player going on strike and refusing to play. You can argue that making an unwanted player train alone or play in the reserves is an equivalent, but the player still gets paid. He gets what is in the contract, while when the player strikes the club is denied what is promised them in their contract. The club may be trying to force the player out, but the player has the final say.

Its the nature of football that there is competition for places. There isn't and shouldn't be an obligation to play a particular player if another is playing better, even if he has just signed a new contract. Players know there is competition for places when they sign. But when the player fails to make the grade, the club has to keep paying him, even if the player slacks off and doesn't try hard in training. He has a choice of taking the money or leaving. As to your examples, Robinson, Gomes, Atouba and Corluka lost their places in competition with other players. Is the root of the Dos Santos situation because Levy is being inflexible over the fee or because the player is lazy in training? Zamora was unlucky and perhaps illustrates that the clubs have disproportionate power for young and journeyman players, while the star players have power over the clubs.

As I said, I'm talking "in practical or even moral terms". Your points are absolutely valid from a legal / technical point of view, but that's not what most people are complaining about when they talk of too much player power or not enough player loyalty.

I've heard so many numbers being bandied about. I've heard £23m, £30m, £27m, £35m, which is it?

I'm glad this brickstorm is FINALLY coming to an end.

It's been finally coming to an end for fudging ages, I'm not getting my hopes up untill he's holding the Real Madrid shirt pulling a grotesque face

Don't you think it's fair that players have some of the power though? We all do when it comes to our jobs - we can leave whenever we want.

Luka's been here for 4 years, he's 27 years old in less than a month, and he wants to play for a team that is competing at the highest level. In his case, I think it would be unfair to force him to stay (although the way he's carried himself with regard to wanting a move away has often been very poor).

That wasn't really my point.

I agree players should have the right to move in, provided they conduct themselves in a professional manner, but he hasn't. Clint Dempsey is just the latest example of players who force the club's hand by refusing to play. The FA, FIFA and UEFA need to put a stop to this kind of behaviour by players. Maybe you put in a rule where a players loses half a year's wage if he refuses to play and is fit to play. Or perhaps they get a ban for a certain amount of time.

I can't just refuse to go in to work just because I want move to a bigger/better company and earn more money.

That wasn't really my point.

I agree players should have the right to move in, provided they conduct themselves in a professional manner, but he hasn't. Clint Dempsey is just the latest example of players who force the club's hand by refusing to play. The FA, FIFA and UEFA need to put a stop to this kind of behaviour by players. Maybe you put in a rule where a players loses half a year's wage if he refuses to play and is fit to play. Or perhaps they get a ban for a certain amount of time.

I can't just refuse to go in to work just because I want move to a bigger/better company and earn more money.

Fair point, and I think Luka's conducted himself very poorly in that respect.

But just to play devil's advocate, would Levy agree to sell him if he'd continued to train and play and be professional, and said publicly that he would continue to give 100% at Spurs if we didn't sell him? Quite possibly not.

Clubs are able to effectively force players to be sold before their contract runs out by not playing them. Players are able to effectively force their clubs to sell them by not playing for them. Technically and legally I appreciate that the latter is unacceptable whilst the former is not, but in terms of ethics / principles etc I'm not sure there's a significant difference.

:( Its been done.

The picture we were all dreading...

lol.jpg

The picture we were all dreading...

You got that part right. Was barely funny the first time and I shuddered when I saw this one on twitter this morning.

Could Carroll be a long term replacement for Modders? If of course we do not sign 1?

There's only one way of finding out . I thought last season in the EL he did well and I would've liked to have seen Harry give him some time coming off the bench for Modric against PL opposition but instead we sent him out on loan to Derby .

I feel so sorry for modrich. He probably cried watching us lose tonight, his poor little head isn't in the right place. Poor guy. Watching us whilst ironing his Madrid shirt and £50 notes. Little victim.

Im assuming if Madrid offered £35m it would be a done deal.

So here's a question : Accept £35m from Madrid, or £40m from Chelsea?

Back