• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

OK mate. He has certainly made mistakes, but I think he has mostly got subs right myself. We agree to disagree?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Yeah sure. You’re right he has made the right subs a lot, but he consistently doesn’t make changes until around 70 minutes. Sometimes it ends up working out but there are a lot of instances he really should have made a change earlier when things just aren’t working. Look, there aren’t many faults I can point at Poch but for me his flexibility in the usage of subs is one small area he could improve on for me...

Whilst I share Pirate 55's desire to see us lift some silver ware, I'm not entirely sure what a winning mentality is. As an earlier post pointed out " The will to win is certainly there", and I have to agree with that.
I'm viewing this whole thing as a journey now, and whilst I have been lucky enough to see us win a variety of Trophy's,these days I'm simply enjoying the fact that we are playing some great stuff and winning more than we lose.

My main bugbear during the wilderness years from after Venables left up to the appointment of Martin Jol was that we didn't compete. Jol gave us back some pride and started us on the Journey. We are now competitive under Poch and more importantly we are competitive on a very un-level playing field.

Has Poch made the odd mistake? sure he has, he's human. The same goes for Daniel Levy. Would I like to see our club taken over by Oil money? absolutely not, I don't care how many pots that would "buy" us.

Enjoy the ride folks, its fun and I've a feeling that the destination is going to be amazing.

I can't think of anything more mind numbingly boring football wise, speaking as a fan of a certain vintage, than supporting the likes of a City.
On the flip side of that is savouring the sheer enjoyment in watching the current Spurs side in full flow like against Liverpool 'at home' this season.
It wasn't bought it was built!

Last edited:
I can't think of anything more mind numbingly boring football wise, speaking as a fan of a certain vintage, than supporting the likes of a City.
On the flip side of that is savouring the sheer enjoyment in watching the current Spurs side in full flow like against Liverpool 'at home' this season.
It wasn't bought it was built!

To be fair to real City fans, at least the ones who supported them through their years in the wilderness and having to live in the shadow of their neighbours successes, I won't begrudge them their time in the sun. To now watch truly world-class players week in, week out would not be "mind numbingly boring" for them.

To be fair to real City fans, at least the ones who supported them through their years in the wilderness and having to live in the shadow of their neighbours successes, I won't begrudge them their time in the sun. To now watch truly world-class players week in, week out would not be "mind numbingly boring" for them.

A small number of city fans and an awful lot of Utd fans I know personally are watching local non league sides now, regretting the way that their clubs have gone. Whether I would do the same if we were bought by oil money is difficult to say. Watching Spurs is my last link to the UK and more importantly London.

But this "City" is an empty shell and has absolutely nothing to do with the Emirates Marketing Project those fans used to support which could be traced back over 100 years. That club ceased to exist in 2008. They are now just the name of the company used as vehicle to gain EPL access by Sheikh Mansour 9 years ago and it could have been another EPL team such as Villa.

Loads have jumped ship and given up now

Their club is long gone and it’s a younger generation taking it on and revelling in it

I know a lot have gone to F.C. United which says it all

My Son in law was a London based Man U fan and his kids, my grandchildren. They all now follow Brentford and my eldest grandson also now wears his Dele shirt with pride :rolleyes:........well I'm not perfect

Loads have jumped ship and given up now

Their club is long gone and it’s a younger generation taking it on and revelling in it

I know a lot have gone to F.C. United which says it all
For sure FC have had a surge in support over recent seasons but currently their gates seem to have gone right back to the norm of around 2k. Which begs the question, where else have all those 'true' fans gone?

FC United : average attendance since 2009/10:

2009/10 - 1954
2010/11 - 1966
2011/12 - 1947
2012/13 - 1849
2013/14 - 1944
2014/15 - 2155
2015/16 - 3394
2016/17 - 2667
2017/18 - 1968

The subs thing is my one real (probably only) bugbear with Poch.

It is my biggest eye roll when it comes to Poch criticism. Not to say that he can’t learn things, but it seems a group of fans have decided there are unquestionably improvements to be made, or that better things would happen, if he changed the way he did his subs, and just ignoring the fact that he likely has very good reasons for doing them the way he does. It is such an obvious and defined way of doing things that there is likely an obvious reason why.

For sure FC have had a surge in support over recent seasons but currently their gates seem to have gone right back to the norm of around 2k. Which begs the question, where else have all those 'true' fans gone?

2009/10 - 1954
2010/11 - 1966
2011/12 - 1947
2012/13 - 1849
2013/14 - 1944
2014/15 - 2155
2015/16 - 3394
2016/17 - 2667
2017/18 - 1968

City?

2009/10 - 1954
2010/11 - 1966
2011/12 - 1947
2012/13 - 1849
2013/14 - 1944
2014/15 - 2155
2015/16 - 3394
2016/17 - 2667
2017/18 - 1968

The pub probably

It is my biggest eye roll when it comes to Poch criticism. Not to say that he can’t learn things, but it seems a group of fans have decided there are unquestionably improvements to be made, or that better things would happen, if he changed the way he did his subs, and just ignoring the fact that he likely has very good reasons for doing them the way he does. It is such an obvious and defined way of doing things that there is likely an obvious reason why.
When things are clearly not right like in Saints away a couple of months ago it’s ridiculous not to change things earlier, were things somehow miraculously going to change in that game by the same players doing the same thing? Not asking for subs just for the sake of it!

But how is it possible to even argue with the logic “he’s the manager, he must be doing it for a reason that you can never understand”?! That’s my biggest eye roll mate!

When things are clearly not right like in Saints away a couple of months ago it’s ridiculous not to change things earlier, were things somehow miraculously going to change in that game by the same players doing the same thing? Not asking for subs just for the sake of it!

But how is it possible to even argue with the logic “he’s the manager, he must be doing it for a reason that you can never understand”?! That’s my biggest eye roll mate!

I just think it’s this thing that’s gathering steam, and there’s no real nuanced discussion of it. I don’t think it’s ridiculous to suggest a clearly talented Premier League manager under pressure to win an important game wouldn’t consider that he may be more likely to win those points if he made a change, if he thought it possible. The fact that he so clearly doesn’t a lot of the time suggests to me there is something bigger going on.

For instance, we all know that players need to be really in form to play well in a Poch system. The struggles of Wanyama and Rose this year for instance suggest if they aren’t in the groove, they probably won’t be adding that much value.

We change formations and systems in match quite a lot. Maybe Poch prefers that method which can have an element of preparation and rhythm to it rather than potential disruption from subs.

Besides, we often come back to win or draw when we were behind. And we are often always ahead. To pick the games in isolation where we didn’t end up winning doesn’t prove anything.

Maybe it’s part of a strategy based on the fitness work. The idea that if we are fitter, and the players have gotten in to a groove and can have rehearsed certain system changes, then maybe we will be more likely to win than making changes.

I don’t know the answer for sure, because I’m not on his back room staff, but I’m pretty sure there’s a strategy behind it and not some blatant blind spot that only has benefits and no drawbacks, and Poch just hasn’t figured it out yet.

Yes the reason he is doing it is for fear of upsetting players according to his book...

Yes the reason he is doing it is for fear of upsetting players according to his book...

I’ve read the book and I don’t recall being stunned at the part where he says that, to be honest I can’t remember the context but I’m pretty sure ‘PL manager afraid to make subs because he doesn’t want to upset players’ would make bigger headlines. I’m sure in the context he was making a different point. Maybe it was about wanting to give players a chance, wanting them to be in rhythm, or anything else. But I’m 1 million percent sure Poch would not give the slightest two bricks upsetting a single player from the results of one of his decisions, if it meant the broader team / club would benefit from it.

I’ve read the book and I don’t recall being stunned at the part where he says that, to be honest I can’t remember the context but I’m pretty sure ‘PL manager afraid to make subs because he doesn’t want to upset players’ would make bigger headlines. I’m sure in the context he was making a different point. Maybe it was about wanting to give players a chance, wanting them to be in rhythm, or anything else. But I’m 1 million percent sure Poch would not give the slightest two bricks upsetting a single player from the results of one of his decisions, if it meant the broader team / club would benefit from it.
Having not read the book and only heard others say about it, I’ll take your word for it and hope you’re right....

Would agree with this, i have heard fans moan about subs at every manager we have had here ( during my time) and it never changes. Fans seem to think they have a better insight into the game then the guy who is with them all week and at games.

I can’t remember the context but ... I’m sure in the context he was making a different point...I’m 1 million percent sure Poch would not give the slightest two bricks upsetting a single player from the results of one of his decisions.
:D
BoL we all know that you think Poch is nearly perfect and there are always bigger, wiser reasons we can't grasp from the outside without his deep knowledge of the internal workings of the squad... is there ANYTHING you think Poch could improve upon, other than subs?

Back