• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Right with you on that. Goes without saying I always want us to finish as high in the league as possible. But I'm one of those heathens who'd prefer to finish 6th and win a cup, than finish 4th and win nothing. Another run to the quarter-finals of the Champions League would be lovely of course; but if it's a choice between that and watching a Spurs captain lift a trophy (even the League Cup)? Well, it's no choice at all.

These would be my thoughts as well, one of the things I dislike about football today is the pre-occupation with finishing among the runners up ( top four), I want us to win a trophy because that is what sport is all about, winning things is far more exciting then finishing among the losers.

Can I just clarify why posters are saying this is a write off season? We are going into the final game of the season with a chance to finish between 5th and 7th as well as reaching a cup final? If we finish 5th it would have been an excellent 1st season for a Spurs manager. If we finish 6th it would still be pretty good. I understand that the last few games have been difficult but Chelsea aside and Arsenal in parts no one has really been particularly consistent this season. I am a little surprised at the negativity although I suppose it is par for the course given our recent poor run. Poch will not finish as low as 10th next season. If that was going to happen it would have been this season, his first , imo

You make some good points. But I do fear we have been caught up by the likes of Swansea, Soton and even Stoke. Not saying they are better than us, but we need to spend money this summer just to ensure we hold on to 6th, I believe Everton won't be as bad next season and Soton will still be roughly in the same position next season.

I think we'll see about that if and when De Gea goes to Madrid this Summer....

Additionally if we were to finish in the completely unacceptable position of 10th next season then I'm sure you'd see very little willingness from our best players to remain at the club.

After Berbatov and Carrick, Levy would rather sell to a foreign club for less than he would receive from an English club imo.........look at Modric and Bale. Chelsea would have gone up to 40 mill pounds for Modric but a year later we just about got around 30-32 mill for him. Man Utd apparently put in a bid close to 100 mill pounds for Bale, but Levy squeezed 80 odd big ones from Real

I think Levy will accept 5-10 mill less for Lloris from a foreign side rather than see him wearing red in the PL next season

After Berbatov and Carrick, Levy would rather sell to a foreign club for less than he would receive from an English club imo.........look at Modric and Bale. Chelsea would have gone up to 40 mill pounds for Modric but a year later we just about got around 30-32 mill for him. Man Utd apparently put in a bid close to 100 mill pounds for Bale, but Levy squeezed 80 odd big ones from Real

I think Levy will accept 5-10 mill less for Lloris from a foreign side rather than see him wearing red in the PL next season

that doesn't sound like levy to me, I think those deals were more related to the situation, Modric had a year less on his contract at that point hence the price drop and it's possible Bale had his heart set on Madrid and had already agreed terms by the time United got it together

I think levy would sell to arsenal if the price was right

that doesn't sound like levy to me, I think those deals were more related to the situation, Modric had a year less on his contract at that point hence the price drop and it's possible Bale had his heart set on Madrid and had already agreed terms by the time United got it together

I don't, Levy is a businessman, but he's also quite savvy about the fans and I do believe has some passion/care for Spurs.

Levy would never sell a player fans cared about to the Scum.

Reactions: DTA

I thought Modric had 4 years on his contract? He signed an extension just a few months before he agitated for his Chelsea move IIRC?

I agree with Raziel, Levy has been at the club long enough to know what selling one of our players to those people would do to his popularity, given the way we lost Campbell to them, I am convinced he would never allow one of our players to leave unless it's Vlad Chiriches or Ade for example, basically a player that won't give scum any value or benefit whatsoever.

I thought Modric had 4 years on his contract? He signed an extension just a few months before he agitated for his Chelsea move IIRC?

I agree with Raziel, Levy has been at the club long enough to know what selling one of our players to those people would do to his popularity, given the way we lost Campbell to them, I am convinced he would never allow one of our players to leave unless it's Vlad Chiriches or Ade for example, basically a player that won't give scum any value or benefit whatsoever.

yeah, so a year later, when he went to Madrid, it was a year less they had to compensate us for

galeforce, I agree with Jurgen and Raziel. The way I read Levy, he would rather sell to a foreign club than Utd, Chelsea, City or Liverpool. Ignore the money aspects.

Gotta +1 that. I think a lot of us on here said in August that European football and marked pattern of play were the two big goals. The style came in in late November and has developed since and whilst we looked like a different team over April after the cup final defeat, we have generally carried on playing the same way. We have been very poor at the back in general and if we can stop shipping the goals and perhaps capitalise more up front we can push on.

Well done Poch! Think he got the maximum out of the team he had to work with. Exited for next season and hoping for improvements.

United were there for the taking 5 points in the last 6 games!
As soon as we lost to United the squad give up.
If we had beat Burnley away and Villa at home and got a draw against Stoke away we would have been 4th.

People will argue the 'what if' argument but you're right. Good result today but ultimately disappointing 3/4 games before today cost us.

Overall verdict of the season from a Poch doubter = success.

Onwards and upwards.

Yes, a very solid start for Mauricio Pochettino's first season in charge.

A major Cup Final and fifth place in the League gives a firm foundation to build upon next season.

5th and a cup final, excellent work Poch.

Also, the continued development of Kane, Mason, Bentaleb and Rose, Chadli and Eriksen having decent seasons, Dier doing ok. Get some more yougnsters through next season and a couple of signings and -- HOPEFULLY -- hang on to our key players and we look in decent shape. Keeping players this summer is as important as who we might sign.

Great finish to a good first season for Poch.

Good for him to reach what I think were objectively just about as high as realistic expectations could be at the start of the season. Could buy him some time the next time things get a bit rough.

If only we didn't miss out on Rodgers and Martinez, eyh...

Back