• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I think we'll see about that if and when De Gea goes to Madrid this Summer....

Additionally if we were to finish in the completely unacceptable position of 10th next season then I'm sure you'd see very little willingness from our best players to remain at the club.

United won't pay £30m for Lloris (the only number I can see Levy buckle for) when they'll be able to get someone like Begovic or Handanovic for £8-9m.

United won't pay £30m for Lloris (the only number I can see Levy buckle for) when they'll be able to get someone like Begovic or Handanovic for £8-9m.
If Man Utd were to receive £30 million from Real Madrid for De Gea then I see no reason why they wouldn't offer the same to take Lloris off of us.

I wish that were true, GB. But United appear willing to spend a hell of a lot of money to become title challengers again. If Van Gaal decides he wants Lloris (which he may or may not - I don't know!) then I feel certain ManU will support him in the market, even if his second choice costs a lot less.

It may well be, but that's the risk. Either accept that the players are young and in some cases almost too young to play regularly in the PL, but due to the fact we can't buy our way into the CL, show faith that they have the ability and attitude and that the manager you have chosen has picked the correct young players, or continue to do what we have done previous and sack managers then start over 'with a set of players that aren't his'.

It's finish 10th and stick with him or finish 10th and sack him and start over. We've repeatedly tried the sack him and start over route over the past few years and only once have we reached the holy grail of CL. Why not try a different way?

Of course, this all depends on the nature of how we ended up in 10th position. There's a big difference between getting hammered every other week due to players not having a clue what they are doing and getting beat by the odd goal in the 90th minute because a young player loses concentration.

If we finished 10th due to the former, I'd be in agreement with letting him go, if the latter I'd be against it. I wouldn't be happy with finishing 10th either way, but I'd accept the latter if it was for the good of the long term.

I'm not advocating sacking him now, but if we finish 10th in his second season, we should sack him and get someone else in. As he would have taken us backwards.... And quite substantially.

If it was someone with more of a pedigree then maybe more patience could be argued for, but pouch has none.... And I say this an d quite like him.

We haven't sold a top player to another EPL team for 7 years now.

I think we'll only sell to Madrid, Barca, Bayern level clubs now. We're further up the foodchain now and are also more resolute to Chelsea and United bully boy tactics.

City and us are supposed to have good board-level relations, so I think they'd behave more dignified (and tend to buy from abroad now anyway, once they had cleared Comolli's finds out of Arsenal).

That's taking into account that we have been in or around the champs league places... We drop to 10th and West Ham or villa go up to 4-6 and our player will very quickly start looking to leave for those clubs if they would be challenging for champs league places, also the replacements that we could attract would be much poorer in comparison then who we have in recent years, as a mid table side would be less of a draw.

anything less than par next season with improvements in consistency and I would be looking to replace pouch.

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to leave us for Villa or West Ham because of one season and suggesting so is pure hyperbole

I'm not advocating sacking him now, but if we finish 10th in his second season, we should sack him and get someone else in. As he would have taken us backwards.... And quite substantially.

If it was someone with more of a pedigree then maybe more patience could be argued for, but pouch has none.... And I say this an d quite like him.

If he started th season with the team I mentioned then I don't think he's taken us backward. If we finished 10th with same personnel we have now then yes fair enough, although you still have to consider the manner in which you've finished 10th.

Ive only been able to skimread this at work, but why are so many talking as if we are finishing 10th next year?!

Just a typical hypothtical GG conversation that will go round and round until someone mentions Sherwood!

That's taking into account that we have been in or around the champs league places... We drop to 10th and West Ham or villa go up to 4-6 and our player will very quickly start looking to leave for those clubs if they would be challenging for champs league places, also the replacements that we could attract would be much poorer in comparison then who we have in recent years, as a mid table side would be less of a draw.

anything less than par next season with improvements in consistency and I would be looking to replace pouch.

The point of what we're trying to do is that you don't need to buy replacements, they are already at the club. Best players will continue to leave anyway until we are CL regulars. Finishing 10th in a single season doesn't make you a 'mid-table' team and I doubt that all our best players would go immediatly (they are under contract at the end of the day)

This is all hypothtical and I think we can all agree that we don't want to finish 10th next season, but I don't think it would destroy us in the same way you think if we set up the youth system as is currently being discussed.

Ive only been able to skimread this at work, but why are so many talking as if we are finishing 10th next year?!

I don't think there's much chance we'll finish beneath 6th, whatever happens.

6th is our natural position and there's a big gap to the teams beneath us. Everton may have a revival, but I think they are on a declining cycle. Southampton and Swansea are great little clubs punching above their weight, but they don't have the resources to mount a sustained challenge.

- It will be 7 years since we finished lower than 8th and only once in the last 11 years.
- Make no mistake, an 8th-10th place finish is a firing result for any manager at Spurs going forward.

To GB's point, 6th is par (and you would probably need to show something else, mitigating circumstance, cup run, etc.), 5th should be Poch's minimum target next season, with 4th as the usual holy grail.

Tough season ahead for Poch, he needs to buy well, and have a good start to the season, his "write off" season pass is gone, needs to start showing results now.

Reactions: DTA
It's just a hypothetical. I don't believe anyone here is expecting us to finish 10th. And I suspect everyone - without exception - would be extremely disappointed if we do.

What some of us are saying is that we believe the club might just be on the right trajectory (finally!). We have a young squad that will only get better... hopefully this will be strengthened via some shrewd business in the market (with the club supporting the manager)... and we have a young manager who we're hoping will learn from this season and improve us. The point about "finishing 10th" is that those fundamental foundations would not necessarily be destroyed by one sub-par season. And the circumstances would obviously be important.

I don't think anyone is trying to insist that no matter what Poch does next year, he should keep his job. Just that a mid-table finish should not automatically mean we fire him. I can envision scenarios where I would fight tooth-and-nail to keep Poch despite a 10th place finish. And I can envision scenarios where I'd be demanding he be sacked despite finishing 4th (yes, seriously).

Imagine a season where we suffer a series of injuries to vital personnel in February; and although we finish 10th, we still manage to win a cup double (qualifying for the CL League via a Europa League win and celebrating an FA cup win). Of course that's unlikely; but I think we'd be mad to fire our manager in that situation. Don't you? On the other hand, we could finish 4th but only after being top of the table in March and losing most of our remaining games because Poch is spending all his time angling for the job as Argentina manager. In that situation, I don't think a 4th place finish is enough to save him.

The point is simply that if the club clearly has strong foundations and stability, then one mediocre season in the league might not warrant upsetting that. It all depends on context and where we are in 12 months time. Nobody is being fundamentalist about this (I don't think).

- It will be 7 years since we finished lower than 8th and only once in the last 11 years.
- Make no mistake, an 8th-10th place finish is a firing result for any manager at Spurs going forward.

To GB's point, 6th is par (and you would probably need to show something else, mitigating circumstance, cup run, etc.), 5th should be Poch's minimum target next season, with 4th as the usual holy grail.

Tough season ahead for Poch, he needs to buy well, and have a good start to the season, his "write off" season pass is gone, needs to start showing results now.

We need to start being strategic about how we are going to start picking off Liverpool, Arsenal and United in turn, but I'm not sure we'll be able to do the second two until after the stadium (unless all the 2CV, Veljkovic, KWP, Winks, Alli, Pritchard, Onomah, Oduwa generation really fulfil their potential)

I'm not overly bothered about the league at the moment, so long as we keep getting a EL spot. I'm really desperate for us to win a cup. 7 years is a bit of a drought.

We need to start being strategic about how we are going to start picking off Liverpool, Arsenal and United in turn, but I'm not sure we'll be able to do the second two until after the stadium (unless all the 2CV, Veljkovic, KWP, Winks, Alli, Pritchard, Onomah, Oduwa generation really fulfil their potential)

I'm not overly bothered about the league at the moment, so long as we keep getting a EL spot. I'm really desperate for us to win a cup. 7 years is a bit of a drought.

Agreed, but you can't regress

- I think Pool is killing themselves with expectation, I also don't think Rodgers is the messiah and they have returned to being a strikers graveyard.
- 6th is par, 5th aim, be well positioned to take advantage of a fudge up from any of the others

Also agree I would like to see Poch build a cup side, buy/groom a couple of players purely for Europe/domestic cups, have a setup (not a reject squad) built to win silverware.

Of them all, funnily enough Veljkovic is the one who has really caught my eye. Not 100% sure what it is about him but I think he's got what it takes to become - if not world-class, then certainly a top top player. Mind you, I thought the same about Postiga, so bear that in mind.

Right with you on that. Goes without saying I always want us to finish as high in the league as possible. But I'm one of those heathens who'd prefer to finish 6th and win a cup, than finish 4th and win nothing. Another run to the quarter-finals of the Champions League would be lovely of course; but if it's a choice between that and watching a Spurs captain lift a trophy (even the League Cup)? Well, it's no choice at all.

Of them all, funnily enough Veljkovic is the one who has really caught my eye. Not 100% sure what it is about him but I think he's got what it takes to become - if not world-class, then certainly a top top player. Mind you, I thought the same about Postiga, so bear that in mind.

Veljkovic & Mason were the two outstanding players for us on our preseason tour last year (that I saw in person).

Was a touch surprised he didn't get a chance to stay, but guess at beginning of season we had a stack of players in that position.

Can I just clarify why posters are saying this is a write off season? We are going into the final game of the season with a chance to finish between 5th and 7th as well as reaching a cup final? If we finish 5th it would have been an excellent 1st season for a Spurs manager. If we finish 6th it would still be pretty good. I understand that the last few games have been difficult but Chelsea aside and Arsenal in parts no one has really been particularly consistent this season. I am a little surprised at the negativity although I suppose it is par for the course given our recent poor run. Poch will not finish as low as 10th next season. If that was going to happen it would have been this season, his first , imo

Can I just clarify why posters are saying this is a write off season? We are going into the final game of the season with a chance to finish between 5th and 7th as well as reaching a cup final? If we finish 5th it would have been an excellent 1st season for a Spurs manager. If we finish 6th it would still be pretty good. I understand that the last few games have been difficult but Chelsea aside and Arsenal in parts no one has really been particularly consistent this season. I am a little surprised at the negativity although I suppose it is par for the course given our recent poor run. Poch will not finish as low as 10th next season. If that was going to happen it would have been this season, his first , imo

An excellent point! If you'd have said challenging for 5th on th final day of the season and a cup final at the start of the season you wouldn't find a poster on here who wouldn't take that. Yet the pressure is already starting to build...................

An excellent point! If you'd have said challenging for 5th on th final day of the season and a cup final at the start of the season you wouldn't find a poster on here who wouldn't take that. Yet the pressure is already starting to build...................
And can I add that even a 6th place finish which is the most likely represents progress from last season imo where we're regularly getting hammered by the top 4 and being trebled by Wham of all teams.

Back