• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Koeman is a crap manager. Southampton had two great runs either side of four straight losses thanks to a very kind fixture list. Since January they've slowly sunk from 3rd to 6th/7th, where they'll finish depending on what we manage. Next season they'll be fighting with the likes of Stoke, Swansea and Everton for 7th at best. Bottom half if they get Europe.

He's above us at the moment so he can't be that crap. Seems a bit harsh to criticise him for team's slide down the table considering no sane person honestly believed they would stay 3rd above Arsenal, United, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool.

Are you serious? We didn't lose anyone and are you really saying that you expected 5 teams to improve to a higher level than us?

I think galeforce is exaggerating, but I did expect a difficult season ahead. I thought it was clear that Levy would want all of the summer 2013 players given a fair shot (which is understandable given the investment) but to me there was not much hope in my heart that Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches and Chadli would disprove my significant doubts about their mentality, quality and suitability. Lamela had hardly played and Eriksen had improved as the season went on.

I also thought that it was a good possibility that we'd lose Lloris and that Vertonghen had a very poor season and seemed to be regressing as a player. Rose had a shaky first season, BAE had been frozen out. Kaboul and Walker seemed to have constant fitness issues which affected their form. There seemed to be an atmosphere of 'rotten core at the club' with negative match-day home atmospheres. It all seemed ripe for a disaster for me.

It did seem to start off that way. We missed Poch's main summer targets whether due to injury (Moreno, Rodriguez) or difficulty of the transfer (Musacchio/Schneiderlin). It is clear to me he doesn't really rate Fazio and Stambouli as being suitable. Vorm is a fine back-up to Lloris I suppose, but was not going to add anything. Dier was one for the future, although he appears to have surged ahead of Fazio and Kaboul in the pecking order, more due to lack of viable alternatives than he is really ready for a first-team spot at a top 6 Premiership team.

Anyway, I was fully prepared for a very difficult season. I though Pochettino might struggle with the politics and Baldini and Levy trying to justify their massive splurge of the Bale money on tat.

I was pleasantly surprised. As soon as he has been able to he has dropped those consistently under-performing. I think he's done a fine job this season. Why, you may legitimately ask. It isn't immediately obvious to many that we have improved, or even been 'as good' this season as last. What I would say is that the squad, from being a 'where do you even start?' situation as one poster put it, a real mish-mash of similar looking players, is starting to take shape into a core of players we can see are suitable for the philosophy and style of the manager, who train hard, are hungry and have been involved in some very promising performances.

We've also highlighted a group of players that are definately for the chop. From this situation, we can work with building on this to improve the squad in the areas Poch think it falls down in terms of his philosophy. He's mentioned mentality and attitude numerous times this season as the key weakness for him in the squad. I'm very interested in what happens this summer. I'm quietly excited about next season.

I didn't think much of the squad, not that anyone would improve above us, just that we would...

dun dun dun

regress to the mean
We have.... The 6th best squad of players in the PL is on course for a 6th (or probably even 7th) place finish. Although I guess on our current form Swansea could still catch us and push us into 8th... Would that be a regression FROM the mean?!?

good stuff @NWND, I wouldn't say exaggeration, I've been a spurs fan for a long time, expect the worst as that's normally what happens is my philosophy

I agree he's got the squad in some kind of order and we now know where the holes are and who can be sold/released/put down

we are fine for keepers, and left backs, possibly at right back as well if walker can find form and Yedlin can do it in the PL, cb we are a car crash and need to strengthen, likewise in midfield, up front it's only Kane that's doing it and we need another quality option up there

lots of work to done but the chaff has certainly been combed aside

We have.... The 6th best squad of players in the PL is on course for a 6th (or probably even 7th) place finish. Although I guess on our current form Swansea could still catch us and push us into 8th... Would that be a regression FROM the mean?!?

I don't think we have the 6th best, 6th well paid yes, not best

we have tremendous range in our first 11, Lloris is genuinely one of the best keepers in the world, yet we have others playing regularly who are championship level at best

all in my opinion of course but I think there is a far better balance in the likes of Swansea and Southampton, everton even (who are massively under performing)

I think galeforce is exaggerating, but I did expect a difficult season ahead. I thought it was clear that Levy would want all of the summer 2013 players given a fair shot (which is understandable given the investment) but to me there was not much hope in my heart that Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches and Chadli would disprove my significant doubts about their mentality, quality and suitability. Lamela had hardly played and Eriksen had improved as the season went on.

I also thought that it was a good possibility that we'd lose Lloris and that Vertonghen had a very poor season and seemed to be regressing as a player. Rose had a shaky first season, BAE had been frozen out. Kaboul and Walker seemed to have constant fitness issues which affected their form. There seemed to be an atmosphere of 'rotten core at the club' with negative match-day home atmospheres. It all seemed ripe for a disaster for me.

It did seem to start off that way. We missed Poch's main summer targets whether due to injury (Moreno, Rodriguez) or difficulty of the transfer (Musacchio/Schneiderlin). It is clear to me he doesn't really rate Fazio and Stambouli as being suitable. Vorm is a fine back-up to Lloris I suppose, but was not going to add anything. Dier was one for the future, although he appears to have surged ahead of Fazio and Kaboul in the pecking order, more due to lack of viable alternatives than he is really ready for a first-team spot at a top 6 Premiership team.

Anyway, I was fully prepared for a very difficult season. I though Pochettino might struggle with the politics and Baldini and Levy trying to justify their massive splurge of the Bale money on tat.

I was pleasantly surprised. As soon as he has been able to he has dropped those consistently under-performing. I think he's done a fine job this season. Why, you may legitimately ask. It isn't immediately obvious to many that we have improved, or even been 'as good' this season as last. What I would say is that the squad, from being a 'where do you even start?' situation as one poster put it, a real mish-mash of similar looking players, is starting to take shape into a core of players we can see are suitable for the philosophy and style of the manager, who train hard, are hungry and have been involved in some very promising performances.

We've also highlighted a group of players that are definately for the chop. From this situation, we can work with building on this to improve the squad in the areas Poch think it falls down in terms of his philosophy. He's mentioned mentality and attitude numerous times this season as the key weakness for him in the squad. I'm very interested in what happens this summer. I'm quietly excited about next season.

But, but... End of the season league position is the only thing that is important. Everything else is just context one should ignore... ;)

Currently I would say yes. We probably do have the 6th best squad in the PL. After Rose pushed on, Bentaleb took the next step, Mason emerged, Eriksen pushing on, Chadli showing what he can do and of course Kane being excellent.

If we were relying on Paulinho, Kaboul, Chiriches, Capoue, off-form Ade, Soldado and Dembele as looked possible before the youngsters did their thing I'm not convinced we would have a better team/squad than Southampton.

We got 6th last season despite a lot of players doing poorly in part thanks to Adebayor having some outstanding months right after Sherwood took over. As we've seen over and over again he can't be trusted to be performing consistently though.

One example with one manager at one club for one season disproves that theory?

Probability, chance, randomness and variance are actually real concepts as far as I know...

He had some success with Ajax and PSV (not exactly difficult) and did well enough at Benfica, but failed miserably at Valencia and AZ. Doesn't stick around anywhere for long.

I didn't think much of the squad, not that anyone would improve above us, just that we would...

dun dun dun

regress to the mean

If that's the case you must of been really complementary of Sherwoods results last season....... Hmmmmm I seem to remember that not being the case.

yeah, I'm an AVB fanboy

i see similar ideas from Poch (mainly earlier in the season granted), quickly regain possession, kill them with passing, control the game economically, much like under AVB we are suffering due to individual errors rather than systematic failings, with a bit more quality and a few less mistakes we are a much better side
Avb was out performed by Sherwood (within the same season, with the exact same squad)

He had some success with Ajax and PSV (not exactly difficult) and did well enough at Benfica, but failed miserably at Valencia and AZ. Doesn't stick around anywhere for long.

Pretty similar to my impression. Will be interesting to see what happens next season with him and Southampton. We've seen a lot of teams have excellent seasons, perhaps get into Europe and then struggle massively the next season. Everton at times, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Stoke iirc. Another big test for Southampton and Koeman.

If that's the case you must of been really complementary of Sherwoods results last season....... Hmmmmm I seem to remember that not being the case.

You do understand that the problems people had with Sherwood were not based on his league results over the relatively short period of time he was in charge? And that the reason people wanted him gone was not because of those results?

Would you like another drawn out discussion on the pros and cons of Sherwood and why people didn't like him? Do you think this is the place for it?

absolutely not, the numbers were great, but I don't think he gets any credit for it, it coincided with an ade purple patch, other than that I have absolutely no idea how we did what we did, what I do know for sure is that it wasn't down to anything captain ballend did

Most people on here thought we underacheived last season? You keep repeating this like it's gospel. Why did we underachieve last season?

I think you're talking absolute horse manure to be honest.

Who thought we underachieved last season? What was this based on? The fact that many pundits thought we'd challenge for the title because we spent £100m?

It comes from the anti-Sherwood agenda crowd doing everything they could last year to make it look and sound like no-matter how well Sherwood done, he should have done better.

Pretty similar to my impression. Will be interesting to see what happens next season with him and Southampton. We've seen a lot of teams have excellent seasons, perhaps get into Europe and then struggle massively the next season. Everton at times, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Stoke iirc. Another big test for Southampton and Koeman.

By crap I probably mean overrated and nothing special in Koeman's case. Laudrup was crap though and called it from day one, even before people starting fawning over him. Just like Southampton now he benefitted massively from the work put in by others. Just like Martinez is nothing special, but since he's at another club the glaring flaws get overlooked.

Poch may not be anything special either, but he's perfect for us right now. I doubt there are many out there who could have done better than him this season, making us competitive (while inconsistent) and also putting in work that we will benefit from long term. The whole team is fitter, we've had a proper look at everyone in the squad to determine who stays and who needs to go and we're bringing through academy products.

You do understand that the problems people had with Sherwood were not based on his league results over the relatively short period of time he was in charge? And that the reason people wanted him gone was not because of those results?

Would you like another drawn out discussion on the pros and cons of Sherwood and why people didn't like him? Do you think this is the place for it?

The ' problems' people had with Sherwood were because of an agenda they had with with the individual, based on the fact that he was not the type (pie and mash) of manager they wanted. He absolutely didn't help himself with some of the things he did or said, but didn't deserve the sh#t he got/gets either. I'm convinced he will be a good manager but you are right this is not the place to discuss it.

absolutely not, the numbers were great, but I don't think he gets any credit for it, it coincided with an ade purple patch, other than that I have absolutely no idea how we did what we did, what I do know for sure is that it wasn't down to anything captain ballend did

How do you know that for sure? And how did 'captain bellend' manage to get hat trick of wins over pouch?

could the same apply to Poch and Kane this season?.........without Kane's brilliance GHod knows where we would be

Reactions: DTA
Sherwood Sherwood Sherwood

don't you lot ever get bored of repeating the same gonads over and over again

Back