• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

We have the same problems as when AVB was in charge, comfortable with the ball but cant create anything.

Countless times we get to the edge of the box and just cant get through the wall of defenders infront of us, we have no width and no Bale to hit one long range.

Why not change the tactics, sit deep try and get the opposing team to come forward then try and hit them on the break. Its all very easy for me to say this I know but just feel down after todays result and performance.

Keeping the faith in POCH but he does seem a little stuck in his ways

That is utter *******s

By having Lennon youre stretching the play and giving them something else to think about. By having a Lamela youre basically much narrower and we are simpler to contain. So no Lennon DOES have his use within the team against these so called deep sitting defences.

*******s go watch Lennon again in our home league games against teams sitting deep this season.
Watch him against West Brom and Stoke to see how ineffective he was at bring width.
He came on and hid and was anonymous.

We have the same problems as when AVB was in charge, comfortable with the ball but cant create anything.

Countless times we get to the edge of the box and just cant get through the wall of defenders infront of us, we have no width and no Bale to hit one long range.

Why not change the tactics, sit deep try and get the opposing team to come forward then try and hit them on the break. Its all very easy for me to say this I know but just feel down after todays result and performance.

Keeping the faith in POCH but he does seem a little stuck in his ways

And what is the similarities?

Young, inexperienced, stubborn managers who think that their "secret sauce" pressing/possession/whatever game wins all.

Looking at the players we have available and their various performances in different positions so far. i'd like to see

Chiriches - Fazio/Verts - Davies back four.

Naughton is probably a better natural right back, but I think Chriches played well against Everton and is technically better.
I don't know enough about Dier to judge him against Fazio or Verts. None of the CBs are outstanding. Davies is more solid defensively at LB than Rose, and i think he will improve.

in a midfield three. Eriksen as the playmaker. Two others from Mason/Stambouli/Bentalab to do the grafting. (I'd like Carroll back as an option too)

in a front three. Kane to lead the line. Lennon left and either Rose or Lamela left (or possibly even Townsend).

At least this way we get width, creativity and playmaking if we get Eriksen on the ball. We can move the ball forward quickly. We have some speed (although not as much as I'd like) and power going forward. And an aerial threat. And we can cope with sides that play three in the middle -providing lennon and the other wide player track back.

Really? maybe no completely on the in .. but he'll have a say with those going out (not counting the ones we get club/world record bids on)

not much chance of that with this lot, I'll be surprised if we get any bids at all, other than for Lloris of course

we'll probably never know though, he could say, ok Lennon can go but we need to get in A, B or C to replace him, only for us to actually sign D, on loan, at 11pm on deadline day

Mate, go look at the number of games each Palace player has played this season vs. most of ours, bet our players have less appearances.

We didn't loose because we were tired, we lost because of a poor selection balance

- by playing Lamela/Eriksen wide, we get too narrow and their midfield/defense just crowd us out.
- Without midfield narrow and Lamela left, we expose our fill in FB (who already struggles)

And the game played out exactly that way, too narrow slow for us, with them breaking constantly to our right side.

I disagree. It was clear we lacked the zip and vigor that we showed in the past two games - playing a similar team. How do you explain that?

Easy to be critical in hindsight. When you saw how leggy we looked, it would have been better to play half our second team. Someone posted a team in the match tread - a pi$$ take team that would have had fans brewing with Poch - but it would have probably been a master stroke...in hindsight. 3 games in 6 days and bitterly cold day with a young team in front of a baying crowd.

I will criticise Poch for not foreseeing that better and getting the player more psyched while cold and tired out. He also must get the team to focus on their game plan and not worry about the crowd. Had we shown patience and stuck to the right plan second half we might have been able to get home.

But it is all in hindsight. Easy to say now. I didn't see anyone saying any of this pregame. In fact had Poch rotated the team we'd have been on his back for not playing the same team. Frustrating yes. But he needs time.

Yep, and had he had the same result with the different team this place would be complaining that he didn't pick half the players that they are now complaining he did pick.

It drives me insane on here at times

*******s go watch Lennon again in our home league games against teams sitting deep this season.
Watch him against West Brom and Stoke to see how ineffective he was at bring width.

Mate we have discussed this at length, and really don't think anyone disagrees

- When we play Eriksen left, Lamela right = we are way to narrow and try to push our way through the opposition middle and fail over and over
- When we play Lennon, we need to play two center midfielders who recycle/pass the ball quickly so Lennon can isolate the opposition FB. When we play Dembele/Capoue/etc. Lennon will not be effective because they take so ****ing long the opposition gets to cover.
- The threat Lennon will then provide, gives Eriksen more room and he can create more chances.

I've seen more than one game though when Lennon was wide right with his hand up demanding the ball and never got it as the ball went across the back four and back again. (repeat ad nauseam)

??? wtf ??

Lamela instead of Lennon is NOT anywhere close to being a similar team

That is one player. That one change was the key reason then? Lennon would have made the difference? Lennon would have terrorised them? Its a team game and Lennon can not be liken to Bale sadly. Lamela had 2 or 3 men on him as soon as he got the ball. Lennon would have had similar problems.

That is one player. That one change was the key reason then? Lennon would have made the difference? Lennon would have terrorised them? Its a team game and Lennon can not be liken to Bale sadly. Lamela had 2 or 3 men on him as soon as he got the ball. Lennon would have had similar problems.

**** me .. NO .. but Lennon stops us trying to play 5 players in the same 5 meter space in the pitch.

Additionally with a poor RB option, he actually stops them from having their own way al game down our right side (as happens when we play Lamela)

Is that that hard? does anyone actually disagree?

**** me .. NO .. but Lennon stops us trying to play 5 players in the same 5 meter space in the pitch.

Additionally with a poor RB option, he actually stops them from having their own way al game down our right side (as happens when we play Lamela)

Is that that hard? does anyone actually disagree?

He could well be right that Lennon was a better option, at least able to stretch the pitch a little. But Palace were not giving any time or space. We lacked the fast one touch passing we'd seen to release the likes of Lennon in the previous game - that was across the whole team. chelsea and **** lost (at least we got a point) so I think it was a day where top teams who play in europe hit a wall. Just my opinion.

He could well be right that Lennon was a better option, at least able to stretch the pitch a little. But Palace were not giving any time or space. We lacked the fast one touch passing we'd seen to release the likes of Lennon in the previous game - that was across the whole team. chelsea and **** lost (at least we got a point) so I think it was a day where top teams who play in europe hit a wall. Just my opinion.

Could be, the difference is the other teams who play in Europe have had a few good games/performances this season, we have had 1, maybe two if you count against a dire QPR side

Poch is struggling

- No first 11, no preferred formation
- No improvement on our plenty possession, no threat style
- No improvement on our lack of pace/tempo (exception of 1 game)
- No improvement on our results against top 4/5
- Even worse home form
- Football is generally dire to watch

At what point does this change?

And what is the similarities?

Young, inexperienced, stubborn managers who think that their "secret sauce" pressing/possession/whatever game wins all.

Could be, the difference is the other teams who play in Europe have had a few good games/performances this season, we have had 1, maybe two if you count against a dire QPR side

Poch is struggling

- No first 11, no preferred formation
- No improvement on our plenty possession, no threat style
- No improvement on our lack of pace/tempo (exception of 1 game)
- No improvement on our results against top 4/5
- Even worse home form
- Football is generally dire to watch

At what point does this change?
He does have a preferred formation: 4-2-3-1, with inverted-wingers. He modified it slightly today by having Kane as one of the three but it left Soldado isolated.

I can't see anything changing but hope he learns and adapts but I suspect he will off-load Lennon and perhaps not selecting him is a message to Lennon to do one, also it prevents Lennon playing well so it is easier to justify the sale. It was noticeable the crowd were asking of Lennon.

He does have a preferred formation: 4-2-3-1, with inverted-wingers. He modified it slightly today by having Kane as one of the three but it left Soldado isolated.

I can't see anything changing but hope he learns and adapts but I suspect he will off-load Lennon and perhaps not selecting him is a message to Lennon to do one, also it prevents Lennon playing well so it is easier to justify the sale. It was noticeable the crowd were asking of Lennon.
I suspect that the reason Lennon did not start today is because he was not fully match fit.

If his preferred formation with this squad is two inverted wingers, then we might as well give up now, because that has never worked for us.

Back