• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

Exactly.

I'd rather trust professionals on something like this, because their well, professionals.

The professional surgeon that operated on me said that if the procedure was successful and I followed the physiotherapy - I shouldn't have any issues playing sports.

What issues were you referring to originally?

The professional surgeon that operated on me said that if the procedure was successful and I followed the physiotherapy - I shouldn't have any issues playing sports.

What issues were you referring to originally?

Do you know what the physiotherapy is even for?

It's so you can compensate for any issues that may remain with the ligaments...

Stronger muscles compensate for weakened ligaments.

The key word in there is compensate.

How do you know it is 100%? All you can know is that it is fully functional for what you use it for and what you used it for before. The demands on a professional footballer are a lot more severe than on most of us.

Many athletes come back from the injury and do very well. That doesn't mean that it's 100% and that there is no lasting limitation. In reality there will be a continuum between severely impaired and nearly 100%. We can't really blame the surgeon or Delap for it being the former type.

P.S. I'm sure I've read that with Ledley it was a congenital condition (impaired cartilage/connective tissue?.

Yeah I think Ledley had major cartilage issues which meant his knee was basically bone on bone, which caused the swelling/pain.

The point I wanted to pick up on with Spursalot was that he said after an ACL reconstruction there would always be issues. Any my point was that there aren't, and professional athletes can still continue to perform without any problems (like swelling or pain).

Do you know what the physiotherapy is even for?

It's so you can compensate for any issues that may remain with the ligaments...

Stronger muscles compensate for weakened ligaments.

The key word in there is compensate.

That's because after the surgery your newly constructed ligament is very weak, and you have to build up the muscle around it. It's also used to regain the flexibility in the ligament.

It's more about helping the ligament get back to full strength rather than compensating long term. Once it has healed fully there really isn't any compensating needed.

So I would ease back on the condescending tone. It's making you look like a ****.

That's because after the surgery your newly constructed ligament is very weak, and you have to build up the muscle around it. It's also used to regain the flexibility in the ligament.

It's more about helping the ligament get back to full strength rather than compensating long term. Once the ligament has healed fully there really isn't any compensating needed.

So I would ease back on the condescending tone. It's making you look like a ****.

Which would work. If the ligament ever fully healed. Which it doesn't.

And it's not condescending, it's irritation. You seem to believe you know more on the subjects than professionals do. Are you a professional physiotherapist? At the very least a surgeon who deals with these issues?

Last edited:
I think this board needs an ACL thread.

My 50% functioning, reconstructed knee is eager to participate.

Which would work. If the ligament ever fully healed. Which it doesn't.

And it's not condescending, it's irritation. You seem to believe you know more on the subjects than professionals do. Are you a professional physiotherapist? At the very least a surgeon who deals with these issues?

The ligament doesn't fully heal? What's stopping it? I think you'll find it does.

My comment was in response to you saying you were 'pretty sure' post acl ruptures don't continue without any issues.

I believe (based on experience and actual professional athletes that have had the surgery), that you can play sports without any issues. If it was a successul operation, you shouldn't have any swelling or pain after activity - that's common knowledge.

Ledley's long standing issue wasn't even ACL related.

The ligament doesn't fully heal? What's stopping it? I think you'll find it does.

My comment was in response to you saying you were 'pretty sure' post acl ruptures don't continue without any issues.

I believe (based on experience and actual professional athletes that have had the surgery), that you can play sports without any issues. If it was a successul operation, you shouldn't have any swelling or pain after activity - that's common knowledge.

Ledley's long standing issue wasn't even ACL related.

I know it wasn't. I was using ACL reconstruction as an example because it's well known that reconstructing it leaves it with structural weaknesses.

I think you'll find it doesn't. We're not going to get anywhere with this. I'll stick with the information that's been gained via scientific research and distributed via professionals. And you can stick with the fact that you don't think your knee feels less than 100%.

I know it wasn't. I was using ACL reconstruction as an example because it's well known that reconstructing it leaves it with structural weaknesses.

I think you'll find it doesn't. We're not going to get anywhere with this. I'll stick with the information that's been gained via scientific research and distributed via professionals. And you can stick with the fact that you don't think your knee feels less than 100%.

And the surgeon that operated on me. Oh and all the professional athletes that have no issues playing at a high level. Cheers.

You stick to being 'pretty sure'.

The biggest shame for Ledley is that in the next decade we are probably going to see the first professional athletes have their cartilage successfully reconstructed. Research is still relatively new, but there are a number of clever people looking at using a synthetic implant that cartilage would bond onto and eventually cover and overwhelm.

that mail article is really interesting. especially the story about england WC 2010. interesting he realised his groin was gone after 5 mins but was too embarrassed to come off. just shows how good he was really to play a half in the WC but completely injured. legend but such a shame.

article-0-15862AEA000005DC-370_964x607.jpg

Still can't believe he's not playing for us. As I'm 25, King was probably the consistent player at Tottenham from my early teenage years onwards. Of course I had my idols like Teddy and le Gin, but I grew up with King as our mainstay here and I as look at that picture I have tears in my eyes that i'll never see him on the pitch again.

Still can't believe he's not playing for us. As I'm 25, King was probably the consistent player at Tottenham from my early teenage years onwards. Of course I had my idols like Teddy and le Gin, but I grew up with King as our mainstay here and I as look at that picture I have tears in my eyes that i'll never see him on the pitch again.

I concur. Most of my Spurs supporting life has been spent willing Ledley to be fit for a game, because when he played, we had one of the world's best defensive players on the pitch, one that could stop Thierry fudging Henry in his tracks and glide across the field to nip the ball away from strikers before they had time to realize he was there. That pic is titled 'The sun sets on Tottenham legend King.' And there, I disagree. I think he'll be back. As a coach, as a scout, hell, even as a manager. All I know is that he will be back on the football side of Tottenham Hotspur ere long.

I wonder when we'll get details of his Testimonial game at the Lane. Very confident it will v Real Madrid just a matter of when

Who remembers in that 4-4 Chelsea game there was a moment he flicked the ball over drogba's head so smooth... What a talent

In certain cases, not all (depending on age - ie. sub 20-22) - but also the susceptibility to another similar one in the very same spot are more than double.

Or in other words - becomes a considerable weak spot.

I thought it was the opposite - if the op is successful it is less likely to go again (basically because it is bionic i.e. pinned). If you are really unlucky then its because you do both legs (Freund did this IIRC).

Agree you are never 100% again. I would say 90%, but you never turn/change direction as sharply again.

Him, Kaboul and Vertonghen would have been such an immense concentration of talent that it near makes me weep thinking of what might have been. And is Caulker fulfils his early promise too...

Back