• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Johan Lange - Technical Director

My post got deleted and I thought it was worth re-stating Gabbanini's answer to this very point.

“As a chief scout, I can achieve the best level in the world, but I probably wasn’t the top sporting director for Tottenham. So when you want to be sporting director like I do, maybe you need to take another path, start with another club and maybe, one day I can come back (to a club like Tottenham) as sporting director,” he says. “The club needed someone like me at that moment (when Paratici left), but I don’t think that the club need someone like me now.”

I really liked this interview as it gave real insight into thinking and roles and shows a level of self-awareness on his behalf.
Correct, and Alasdair Gold called it thus a month or two ago

TOTTENHAM Technical Director Johan Lange says he and manager Ange Postecoglou are “aligned” to a club game model and methodology that will survive even if they leave.

Lange - recruitment, analytics and talent identification across senior and Academy teams.

Leth - Head of Football Insights and Strategy and he works heavily with data, with part of the role being to quantify the club’s game model

Mackenzie - manages a team of scouts and look for players with the profiles to fit the game model.

Looks like a an ideal set up to me. Arnesen seems so long ago now. I'm actually curious to know why Villa let Lange go and if they think they have a better set up now.

The article goes on to say that Levy and Munn are involved in football matters though it wasn't elaborated om

They brought in Monchi, who is an old school wheeler dealer/networks guy, above him. I guess clubs often pivot between the data vs the connections approach.

If he works well with Paratici, we could now be getting the best of both.

Yeh clubs seem to tear up their methods and start again weirdly, also depends if there have been changes elsewhere and people seemingly bringing in "their guy". From what we have seen so far, our structure looks one for the ages....so far so good. As you say, best of both worlds if Fab is bringing nuggets to the table

#thfc are focusing on signing young talent in Sweden after signing Lucas Bergvall. The club are now showing a strong interest in Hammarby IF winger Viktor Đukanović. Spurs have received very good reports on the 20 year-old and technical director Johan Lange has a long-standing interest in him. [Fotboll Direkt]

#thfc are focusing on signing young talent in Sweden after signing Lucas Bergvall. The club are now showing a strong interest in Hammarby IF winger Viktor Đukanović. Spurs have received very good reports on the 20 year-old and technical director Johan Lange has a long-standing interest in him. [Fotboll Direkt]
Looks like a left sided Kulu, powerful and skillful, but lack of pace means he'll always cut inside

I liked that interview. Noted the emphasis on belief that our transfers have been bought because of their potential but also because they can make a difference now.
And that we've been tracking Odobert for over a year

He didn't mention it. We also we need club trained players in the future. Not having any outfield club trained players limits our european squad.

Thanks for posting that interview.
Interesting we tracked Odobert in France.
We must be tracking 100s of players right now across Europe.
Hopefully we can do a couple more deals outside of the window, allowing the young player to stay with his club (like Udogie, Sarr, Bergval, Yang, [Vuskovic]) and then join us in January or next summer, keep the treadmill rolling with really elite talents.

Good interview. I like that he articulates the process we are following. I can't complain as it's basically what I've always said the club should be doing.

We aren't going to sign a player at the top of their hype or at their developed peak, but there's no reason we can't identify and acquire them at an earlier stage of their development.

The other side to add and it's something that will come with time is knowing the most judicious time to sell on those talents that don't quite work or whom we think we can improve upon with alternative investments. Lange appears at least to be aware of the steps that are needed.

I'll say one thing about this guy - I get the feeling he was hired more because Levy likes the way he works than for any intrinsic talent at building a team. Freely admit it's just a hunch on my end, but the signs are there, imo.

There was a moment under Paratici where I felt we were breaking the mould in terms of the way we operated and the players we signed. They were either unexpected deals we didn't typically do (Kulusevski and Bentancur from Juve), underrated players from leagues we didn't typically buy from (Vicario, Udogie) or actually attempts at highly rated signings with a lot of competition (Romero, Porro). In other words, we shopped in markets we didn't typically shop in.

We also changed the way we approached and convinced players, were much more media-friendly with our transfers, and generally worked in ways the top clubs work when making signings.

All that changed this summer. Suddenly we were back to taking months and months to make major signings, signing mostly low-wage, high-potential players from familiar markets in the British Isles (with the accompanying price tags), working in 'silence' and swiftly moving on when facing competition for players. In other words, we went back to acting in the way we know, from historical experience, Levy likes to act. Even if it's 20 years out of date in terms of how clubs act these days.

Now, I am making absolutely no predictions for how Lange's signings will turn out - Odobert, Gray, Solanke. May turn out great, may turn out crap, I don't have enough info to judge yet, so I won't.

But observing the way he does things, he seems more aligned to what Levy wants than the way Paratici worked. And personally, I think that's a very bad thing. But, early days, and maybe there's a hidden side to this bloke we haven't seen yet.

I'll say one thing about this guy - I get the feeling he was hired more because Levy likes the way he works than for any intrinsic talent at building a team. Freely admit it's just a hunch on my end, but the signs are there, imo.

There was a moment under Paratici where I felt we were breaking the mould in terms of the way we operated and the players we signed. They were either unexpected deals we didn't typically do (Kulusevski and Bentancur from Juve), underrated players from leagues we didn't typically buy from (Vicario, Udogie) or actually attempts at highly rated signings with a lot of competition (Romero, Porro). In other words, we shopped in markets we didn't typically shop in.

We also changed the way we approached and convinced players, were much more media-friendly with our transfers, and generally worked in ways the top clubs work when making signings.

All that changed this summer. Suddenly we were back to taking months and months to make major signings, signing mostly low-wage, high-potential players from familiar markets in the British Isles (with the accompanying price tags), working in 'silence' and swiftly moving on when facing competition for players. In other words, we went back to acting in the way we know, from historical experience, Levy likes to act. Even if it's 20 years out of date in terms of how clubs act these days.

Now, I am making absolutely no predictions for how Lange's signings will turn out - Odobert, Gray, Solanke. May turn out great, may turn out crap, I don't have enough info to judge yet, so I won't.

But observing the way he does things, he seems more aligned to what Levy wants than the way Paratici worked. And personally, I think that's a very bad thing. But, early days, and maybe there's a hidden side to this bloke we haven't seen yet.
Ideally you want both working in partnership. Lange bringing in Bergvall, Grey and Odobert, while Paratici goes out and gets us Osimhen and Chiesa (in place of Solanke and Werner)

Ideally you want both working in partnership. Lange bringing in Bergvall, Grey and Odobert, while Paratici goes out and gets us Osimhen and Chiesa (in place of Solanke and Werner)

To be fair, not like Paratici was incapable of making those signings. He was the one who brought in Udogie - he was also the one who brought in Bryan Gil originally iirc (one of his first signings), though that one obviously didn't work out. Also bought Kulusevski who was, what, 20 when we go him? For about the same price as Odobert. Dunno how much input he had on the Djed Spence signing.

I feel like Paratici was, and is, a great sporting director on the whole, but he just didn't fit with Levy's style - Lange does. But agreed with your broader point about needing to make both types of signings.

Here we go, we lose to Arsenal and its all Levy’s fault, you do bitch like a little girl don’t you?

Here we go, we lose to Arsenal and its all Levy’s fault, you do bitch like a little girl don’t you?

Absolutely it's all Levy's fault. Nothing to do with losing to Arsenal though - as my fan club on here likes to angrily shout about, I say the same thing every month, and have been since roughly 2014. ;)

I am hopeful that Lange and Munn are firmly in charge and left to do their work. I harbour a slight concern that they are convenient operators. FWIW I think Gray and Bergvall are excellent signings. I continue to believe (against the opinion of others I know) that we should've signed Eze early in the window when the deal was there to be done. It was never going to happen(sadly) because of the structure, not because Ange didn't want him. Still, if we are committed to data-driven signings, this is how it will be and let's hope Odobert becomes mega!

I am hopeful that Lange and Munn are firmly in charge and left to do their work. I harbour a slight concern that they are convenient operators. FWIW I think Gray and Bergvall are excellent signings. I continue to believe (against the opinion of others I know) that we should've signed Eze early in the window when the deal was there to be done. It was never going to happen(sadly) because of the structure, not because Ange didn't want him. Still, if we are committed to data-driven signings, this is how it will be and let's hope Odobert becomes mega!

Agree with most of that, but I will just point out that there are multiple ways you can do data-driven signings. If a player is a superstar and all the metrics point to him making an impact in the side, then he's the data-backed candidate, even if he costs a lot.

The way we seem to think of data-driven is more in 'identifying value' - i.e, the player who would most benefit us is too expensive, but here's a player who meets some of the metrics while being cheaper. So, 'greater value'.

The motivation behind employing 'data-driven' scouting matters. If your aim is to use data to build a great side, that will show. If your aim is to build a cheap side, that will show too - be that cheap in terms of transfer fees, or (more pertinently) wages.

Agree with most of that, but I will just point out that there are multiple ways you can do data-driven signings. If a player is a superstar and all the metrics point to him making an impact in the side, then he's the data-backed candidate, even if he costs a lot.

The way we seem to think of data-driven is more in 'identifying value' - i.e, the player who would most benefit us is too expensive, but here's a player who meets some of the metrics while being cheaper. So, 'greater value'.

The motivation behind employing 'data-driven' scouting matters. If your aim is to use data to build a great side, that will show. If your aim is to build a cheap side, that will show too - be that cheap in terms of transfer fees, or (more pertinently) wages.

Cannot argue with this.

Back