• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is This The Best World Cup Ever?

Lets just look at the last 16 games..

Brazil vs. Chile - entertaining game, bar hit in last minute, drama of penalties, pressure ALL on Brazil..
Colombia vs. Uruguay - we saw the most enertaining team knock out the most hated..
France vs. Nigeria - not the best tbh, was always going to be one.
Germany vs. Algeria - we all love an underdog story, Algeria got Germany TO extra time, world cup moment in itself..
Holland vs. Mexico - what a game this was, 2 last minute goals, cruel on Mexico, but highly entertaining viewing..
Costa Rica vs. Greece - great second half, costa rica lead, 10 men, unreal goalkeeping, last minute equaliser, drama of penalties, costa rica STILL going..
Argentina vs. Switzerland - not the best, but its always a pleasure to see Messi shine on the world stage
Belgium vs. USA - don't even have to mention this one, game of the tournament, epic

I struggle to think of a better one at least...

Been very entertaining and even though the goals have dried up a bit in the knockout stage there's still been a lot of excitement, nerve, chances and nice play.

Also, much more entertaining since England went out. One of the worst teams in it. At least Spain had the good grace to go out in a ball of flames. England just kind of fizzled away like a spark in a puddle.

And Euro 2008 was also a great tournament, again no England involved.

For me, this has been a largely disappointing WC. Really expected much more from this WC since it was being hosted by Brazil. It started really promisingly with many goals scored but since then have become a bit boring, especially since the knockout matches started. Almost all the teams have failed to perform consistently, meaning there have been no outstanding teams or players.

I think the match environments have been disappointing here as well. I really enjoyed the 1986 WC where the fans created much more exciting match surroundings, with the Mexican wave first introduced. In this WC, the fans have been disappointing with mostly booing or jeering the teams they don't like. It was more annoying than the vuvuzeela sound in 2010. Thought the Brazilian fans would appreciate football more but disappointingly not so.

For me, this has been a largely disappointing WC. Really expected much more from this WC since it was being hosted by Brazil. It started really promisingly with many goals scored but since then have become a bit boring, especially since the knockout matches started. Almost all the teams have failed to perform consistently, meaning there have been no outstanding teams or players.

I think the match environments have been disappointing here as well. I really enjoyed the 1986 WC where the fans created much more exciting match surroundings, with the Mexican wave first introduced. In this WC, the fans have been disappointing with mostly booing or jeering the teams they don't like. It was more annoying than the vuvuzeela sound in 2010. Thought the Brazilian fans would appreciate football more but disappointingly not so.

That's because there aren't any great international teams anymore, there's just a lot of very good sides who are hot and cold;

Spain
Argentina
Germany
Brazil
Italy
Holland
Colombia
Chile

Yeah there hasn't been a truly great side like the France team with Zidane or Brazil in the 90s but there have been some incredible games, attacking football and some fanastic goals. I understand what you mean but I think you will be left wanting if you expect any side to dominate this tournament as the playing field is fairly level.

That's because there aren't any great international teams anymore, there's just a lot of very good sides who are hot and cold;

Spain
Argentina
Germany
Brazil
Italy
Holland
Colombia
Chile

Yeah there hasn't been a truly great side like the France team with Zidane or Brazil in the 90s but there have been some incredible games, attacking football and some fanastic goals. I understand what you mean but I think you will be left wanting if you expect any side to dominate this tournament as the playing field is fairly level.

I guess we can't expect any more outstanding teams nowadays. All the teams seem to have some problems some where. Fortunately for the neautral fans, almost all the defence in this WC have been shyte, meaning more goals have been scored in this WC than the previous ones.

I wouldnt call it boring, I think its been a great world cup but there is too much hyperbole about it. Its been great because its been more competitive and some great tension eg USA v Belgium, or C Rica v Greece etc etc etc. I thought France Germany was ****e and didnt think much of the Brazil v Colombia game although was in a Brazilian bar last night watching it which made it entertaining.

World cup brings out nostalgia in all of us. We think of iconic moments, Maradona's goal(s), Tardelli's celebration, Schumachers kick, Ronaldo's haircut, 1970 brazil goal. I think there has been some fantastic iconic moments here. Goals wise, James Rodrigues and Cahill volleys, a superstar (Messi) showing his worth, the stars of respective sides all playing well. It just needs to end well. By which I mean have a classic semi and final with open games. If we get this, it will be remembered as one of the greats for sure.

I wouldnt call it boring, I think its been a great world cup but there is too much hyperbole about it. Its been great because its been more competitive and some great tension eg USA v Belgium, or C Rica v Greece etc etc etc. I thought France Germany was ****e and didnt think much of the Brazil v Colombia game although was in a Brazilian bar last night watching it which made it entertaining.

Thought Brazil Colombia game had a fantastic intensity to the game. Was really enjoyable for me

Thought Brazil Colombia game had a fantastic intensity to the game. Was really enjoyable for me

I think for me it was because I couldnt care less who had gone through. Of course I find it more enjoyable if I cared eg today C Rica v Netherlands - id rather C Rica... just a preference.

Since the group stage its all been a bit average tbh

Since the group stage its all been a bit average tbh

There were a few really, really good games in the first knock out round. Tense, tight games with defining moments that decided who won and who lost. That for me is what the world cup is about - you rarely see very good play after the group stages.

Sadly the quarters haven't lived up to the best games from the last round, and the excitement factor has fallen a bit for me. Brazil - Columbia could have been so much better if the referee had made it clear that excessive fouling would give you yellows and reds from the start. Instead he lost control, and the game was all stop/start from endless free kicks.

Let's hope Holland and Costa Rica can pull a classic out of the bag tonight to save the quarters.

There were a few really, really good games in the first knock out round. Tense, tight games with defining moments that decided who won and who lost. That for me is what the world cup is about - you rarely see very good play after the group stages.

Sadly the quarters haven't lived up to the best games from the last round, and the excitement factor has fallen a bit for me. Brazil - Columbia could have been so much better if the referee had made it clear that excessive fouling would give you yellows and reds from the start. Instead he lost control, and the game was all stop/start from endless free kicks.

Let's hope Holland and Costa Rica can pull a classic out of the bag tonight to save the quarters.
The amazing thing is that all 3 quarters so far have had an early goal but the conceding teams have barely done anything to get back into the games. Columbia tried a bit but Peckerman sent out the wrong team in the first place and his subs we're wrong and too late.

People went way over the top after the group games saying it was the best one ever. Way too premature !

Since then it has been very average. Of course the games has had their moments, but good "moments" in games dont mean great games as a whole. I've been disappointed.

I think the high temperatures have started to take their toll. The teams playing with high intensity are going out one by one.

Can't wait for Qatar.

I think the high temperatures have started to take their toll. The teams playing with high intensity are going out one by one.

Can't wait for Qatar.

Hahaha yeah Qatar will be one hell of a blast :)

Can't wait for Qatar.

Human Rights Qatar and Racist Russia, the next 2 will be amazing for fans...

Can't wait for Qatar.

Now that would be a bore fest, eh! 40C matches, with ridiculous humidity levels.

At least Fifa will be happy for all the ad friendly drink breaks which will give them even more money for TV rights.

Back