• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is This The Best World Cup Ever?

a lack of world class players in this renewal, and thats one reason why we're getting a lot of low scoring games in the KO stages, we're missing those playmakers who could break down defences

It's missing some truly legendary moments, those games you remember forever. The group stages flew by, miles better than 2010. Knockout stages not so much, but winning takes precedence over entertaining.

I think people may be expecting a bit much if they thought that high standard of attacking play would continue all the way to the final. Brazil v Colombia was by no means a great display of technical ability but it was a really tense game and I enjoyed it. I'm only 29 but I can't recall a trike great World Cup final. The games were always going to get more cagey a the tournament progressed.

I think people may be expecting a bit much if they thought that high standard of attacking play would continue all the way to the final. Brazil v Colombia was by no means a great display of technical ability but it was a really tense game and I enjoyed it. I'm only 29 but I can't recall a truly great World Cup final. The games were always going to get more cagey a the tournament progressed.

Truly*

They certainly got the logo right.

BsDLMrwCAAIkFt4.jpg

2014FIFAWorldCuplogo2-FIFA.jpg

Great goals? Check
Attacking play? Check
High volume of goals? Check
Big performances from top players? Check
A great individual performance from one of the top teams? Check

Can someone tell me what is missing/what they expect to make this World Cup great?

A good finale.

The first two rounds of group games were excellent, but it dropped off for the last and the two knock-out rounds. It really needs the semis and final to leave a good lasting impression. That German performance yesterday is one everyone will remember so we are well on the way.

P.S. I'm answering the thread title. I have no doubt this will be considered one of the best world cups.

Great goals? Check
Attacking play? Check
High volume of goals? Check
Big performances from top players? Check
A great individual performance from one of the top teams? Check

Can someone tell me what is missing/what they expect to make this World Cup great?

IMO, what is missing are the consistent top quality performance from the players and teams. All the teams have been inconsistent until now.

IMO, what is missing are the consistent top quality performance from the players and teams. All the teams have been inconsistent until now.

IMO the inconsistency comes from the incredibly hard conditions they've had to play in. A player from the 70s or 80s wouldn't last 30 minutes at the pace the game is played today.

I think that before yesterday most people were saying that the only thing that this world cup was lacking was a classic in the knock out stages. Well we certainly got that yesterday!

Although the last sixteen and quarter finals were mainly low scoring games, they were pretty entertaining on the whole.

For me this is the best world cup of the modern era (which I would define as post 1990).

it's still there for a player to stamp their name on it

at the end of the day it's been an awesome World Cup, because it's a World Cup, they are all awesome

I'm gonna have some serious withdrawals next week, thank GHod the TdF is on to ween me back

I think that before yesterday most people were saying that the only thing that this world cup was lacking was a classic in the knock out stages. Well we certainly got that yesterday!

Although the last sixteen and quarter finals were mainly low scoring games, they were pretty entertaining on the whole.

For me this is the best world cup of the modern era (which I would define as post 1990).

games don't need goals to be entertaining. Low scoring games all had fair share of drama.

Back