• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I really feel the narrative of Lamela being a flop at Spurs has been stuck into people's minds for too long.

People are judging him much harsher than other players. He has a somewhat quiet game and it's seen as woeful by some. He has an average first half and people want him taken off despite him turning it around for us in the past. He's contributed as much as anyone in terms of end product this season and some people seem to have no patience. He gets singled out for being no worse than other players.

I thought it was the same last season when many people denied that he was making progress, thought that he should be dropped for Townsend and so on.

I think he's changed a lot of minds recently, but it's slow going...

Good post. A lot of fans focus too much on what he cost more then the progress he has made since he came here. He was a young kid trying to settle into a different life style and a much harder and physical Lge, he also had to overcome a bad injury and struggled at first with the lingo. He is still young and if he keeps improving he can give us that little bit of magic when we need it ( imo).

Good post. A lot of fans focus too much on what he cost more then the progress he has made since he came here. He was a young kid trying to settle into a different life style and a much harder and physical Lge, he also had to overcome a bad injury and struggled at first with the lingo. He is still young and if he keeps improving he can give us that little bit of magic when we need it ( imo).

But he has to do it against teams that just sit back and defend

He looks good vs attacking teams a she gets space and his work rate gives him scope to create if that makes sense

I have yet to see him deliver against a team that resolutely defends and doesn't push on. He created nothing of note against villa until they went on the offensive. It's teams like Villa where we need him the most along with the other creators (it isn't just his job)

None can argue he hasn't improved. He now looks a premiership player, but to make the step up it has to be in the tighter games

But he has to do it against teams that just sit back and defend

He looks good vs attacking teams a she gets space and his work rate gives him scope to create if that makes sense

I have yet to see him deliver against a team that resolutely defends and doesn't push on. He created nothing of note against villa until they went on the offensive. It's teams like Villa where we need him the most along with the other creators (it isn't just his job)

None can argue he hasn't improved. He now looks a premiership player, but to make the step up it has to be in the tighter games

I agree he has to do it in all games, but on this seasons showing he is improving all the time and still only 23. My point was it does/should not matter how much he cost that is down to the club and he should not be beaten with that stick, however it seems some fans can not get past that fact.

He did it against the best team in the prem a few weeks back.

I agree he has to do it in all games, but on this seasons showing he is improving all the time and still only 23. My point was it does/should not matter how much he cost that is down to the club and he should not be beaten with that stick, however it seems some fans can not get past that fact.

He did it against the best team in the prem a few weeks back.

And was MOTM. But they attacked us and got torn apart for it

Villa didn't and he created nothing really

It's the contrast in the opposition where we need him to have that impact

I meant before they attacked us as I said earlier

That's when he came into it from an attacking perspective

Well we will disagree over that, the point I was making is that he has shown a lot of improvement this season and he is becoming a important player in the team.

Well we will disagree over that, the point I was making is that he has shown a lot of improvement this season and he is becoming a important player in the team.

Well keep it on perspective what other creativity did he offer before they scored and started attacking???

I agree he has shown improvement and now looks at higher premiership level and that's the east we should expect for a highly regarded Argentina international.

As I said my concern is can he and will he do it against sides that aren't attacking. So far I haven't seen it but we haven't played many defensive sides with the new Lamella so he hasn't had the chance. But, but there the games where it's needed most as there the ones we have to win.

Well keep it on perspective what other creativity did he offer before they scored and started attacking???

I agree he has shown improvement and now looks at higher premiership level and that's the east we should expect for a highly regarded Argentina international.

As I said my concern is can he and will he do it against sides that aren't attacking. So far I haven't seen it but we haven't played many defensive sides with the new Lamella so he hasn't had the chance. But, but there the games where it's needed most as there the ones we have to win.

Eh? What about Sunderland and , to a lesser extent, what about Crystal Palace??

Eh? What about Sunderland and , to a lesser extent, what about Crystal Palace??

Sunderland were arguably the better side and attacked us more. Again he came on when they were stretched and had a big role in the goal. I'm not criticising that. What I've said is he needs to do it against teams that defend like Swansea did or Everton or Stoke for example

Palace he created 4 chances of which two were corners, one was a shirt pass from the half way line and one was a pass back after receiving the ball near the corner flag

I am afraid to say he has selective viewing, but Stop! Hammer time.

No my point stands. Tel me a game where we played a side that was defensive and didn't actually have a go at us and he played well??? That's all I'm asking

And what I've said is that he needs to do it in these games along with other players. That's when he will have turned a big corner.

No my point stands. Tel me a game where we played a side that was defensive and didn't actually have a go at us and he played well??? That's all I'm asking

And what I've said is that he needs to do it in these games along with other players. That's when he will have turned a big corner.

We are going round in circles mate, lets just agree to disagree as neither one of us is going to change our mind.

He played a lovely disguised ball into moussa in the box, so he did create on Monday. Fans get to wrapped up in individual performances, it's a team game and he and every other help us win without shining.

Sunderland were arguably the better side and attacked us more. Again he came on when they were stretched and had a big role in the goal. I'm not criticising that. What I've said is he needs to do it against teams that defend like Swansea did or Everton or Stoke for example

Palace he created 4 chances of which two were corners, one was a shirt pass from the half way line and one was a pass back after receiving the ball near the corner flag

Regardless of shots on goal that the opposition fashion against us, are you saying that during most of those two games WE were actually on the backfoot?

How many top players have more than a fleeting moment of magic against a determined bus parking team? Even Bale only had one, maybe two per match when the opponent sat like that.

All attacking players, even the best, will be mostly nullified by a determinedly parked bus - that's why teams do it.

It was very unselfish of Lamela to pass to Kane for our 3rd goal against Villa. But maybe he should have tried to score himself. For all his work rate and skills, I think he needs to score more goals for us.

Last edited:
Erik Lamela in form for Tottenham: Argentine rewarding fans' patience
Last Updated: 04/11/15 10:13pm

erik-lamela-tottenham_3372287.jpg

Erik Lamela is proving to be a growing influence for Tottenham
Tottenham's record signing has tested fans' patience, but Erik Lamela is finally finding his form. Adam Bate examines his improvement...

Roma's owner was still crowing about it in the summer. At a press conference in June, James Pallotta claimed to have met an unspecified member of Tottenham's hierarchy at a party in Sardinia who "still couldn't come to terms with the deal" that was done in paying over £25m for Erik Lamela.

Spurs' solid defence
How Tottenham's quiet progress has been built on solid defensive foundations.

Many Spurs supporters would have felt the same way and it was interesting to hear Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher argue last week that with every player he worked with at Liverpool, it was apparent within a matter of months whether or not they would be able to make the transition.

There was even speculation about a summer exit for Lamela well into August with his obvious potential seemingly unlikely to be fulfilled in a Spurs shirt. That would have been regrettable as there has been sympathy for the challenges the young Argentine has faced on and off the pitch.

"English football is much more physical while the game is more tactical in Italy," said Lamela back in his first season in the Premier League. Mauricio Pochettino has since agreed that the move from Italy to England can be tougher than other leagues such as France because of these differences.

tottenham-manchester-city-erik-lamela-mauricio-pochettino_3372434.jpg

After two seasons at Tottenham, now is the moment for him. Not to put pressure, but it's true. It's a key moment for him to develop and to move on his game.
Mauricio Pochettino on Erik Lamela

The adjustment is cultural as well as tactical. Ex-Spurs boss Andre Villas Boas cited language difficulties as an issue for Lamela in those early months, while Kyle Walker admitted he'd struggled to settle after arriving from Sheffield let alone Buenos Aires via Rome.

But the patience couldn't last forever. A response was needed. "I think this is a key season for him," said Pochettino. "After two seasons at Tottenham, now is the moment for him. Not to put pressure, but it's true. It's a key moment for him to develop and to move on his game. It's important."

Lamela has delivered that improvement. There was the pass to Ryan Mason that carved open the Sunderland defence for Spurs' late winner at the Stadium of Light. There was the possession he won on the edge of his own area to spark the counter-attack for Son Heung-Min's winner against Crystal Palace.

harry-kane-erik-lamela-tottenham-aston-villa_3372150.jpg

Lamela provided the assist for Harry Kane's late goal against Aston Villa
He has scored twice too recently - against Emirates Marketing Project and Bournemouth - to match his tally from his previous 47 Premier League games, and on Monday night against Aston Villa, it was his measured pass that provided the assist for Harry Kane's nerve-settling final goal.

The way Lamela finished that game, scrapping for the ball in the final third to relieve the pressure on his side, was particularly encouraging. He's now prepared to be the team's decisive player. The chance laid on for Kane was the 24th he has fashioned this season, only one behind Christian Eriksen.

That puts him among the top 10 most creative players in the Premier League and the trajectory is going in the right direction. In his first season at Spurs, Lamela created 1.6 openings per 90 minutes. Last season it was 2.3. Now he's up at 3.4 chances per game, a rate bettered by only a handful of players in the country.

erik-lamela-tottenham-premier-league-stats_3372418.jpg

Lamela's creativity has improved during his time with Tottenham
He's done so by embracing Pochettino's approach. Lamela is no luxury. Against Villa, he covered more ground (12.55 kilometres) than any other player on the pitch and there is an intensity to his work too.

In the win over Palace, his total of 70 sprints was the most of any player. Against City, he upped that to 71. "He worked hard for the team up and down the pitch," said Kane of Lamela's efforts that day. "We had the higher press, we were relentless in our running and that's what we've been doing to teams this season."

Lamela's role in that pressing and the defensive contribution he makes shouldn't be overlooked. He makes more tackles and interceptions than any of his fellow attacking midfielders at the club. Pochettino is delighted. "It is good for him and good for us that he is starting to show his real talent and his real quality," he said last month.

erik-lamela-tottenham-premier-league_3372415.jpg

Tackles and interceptions per 90 minutes for Spurs' attacking midfielders
"Right now in his mind he is ready to deliver and I think that we can only help him to give an opportunity to show. Lamela is still young, and sometimes you need to create a good dynamic in the team and around the training ground to help some players."

Pochettino has certainly done that and the reference to Lamela's age is a pointed one. The Spurs boss has been praised for the way in which he has brought through young talent at the club but given the Argentine's status as the club's record signing, he is rarely included in that group of players.

However, Lamela is younger than both Andros Townsend and Ryan Mason. In fact, he's only two months older than Tom Carroll. And so, despite the early promise at Roma, it's not unfathomable that Lamela is still learning and his best form is still to come.

With that in mind, Tottenham's owner might just be looking forward to his next run-in with Roma's James Pallotta rather more than his last.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ttenham-argentine-rewarding-fans8217-patience

-------------------------------------------------

Lamela is easily one of our best players this season. He has 4 goals and 3 assists so far which is a good return. I think he can be our secret weapon against big teams like Arsenal as he is still not being rated as highly as Eriksen or Kane.

It was very unselfish of Lamela to pass to Kane for our 3rd goal against Villa. But maybe he should have tried to score himself. For all his work rate and skills, I think he needs to score more goals for us.

No ... last years Lamela would have, and not scored ..

Two things

- He is getting goals, 4 for season, not unlikely to say with 2/3 of a season left, he will score 6 more .. job done (10 is a good return for him)
- the reason the pass to Kane was the right move (especially for him), was because it was the easy/safe option, so many times in the past two years, Lamela has gone for the hard/spectacular option when an easier option was available.

Lamela has 3 issues (in my opinion) that separate him from being a top quality player in the PL

- not picking the quick/easy pass at times, greater strength on ball, stupid/poor tackles

The first two he was noticeably better at in last few games ... the tackling may take a while ..

Massively improved imo, some sublime passes and touches, despite some silly challenges. My other complaint is when he ends up doing his "tower of pizza" canter, he's virtually at 45 degrees .. as he tries to our muscle the opponent rather than release the ball and either trips up or gets muscled out.

Back