• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Erik Lamela - Official

You are right, but also people have the right to disagree and say they are mistaken. For example, if I would have watched only the Tromso game and said, "JD should start every match for us, as he scored two goals last night," I would be entitled to express my opinion, as people would be entitled to disagree.

To be honest, it's not really about what someone said or didn't say; it's more about the idea that you could say someone isn't worth X amount of money based on ONE performance. I just think that's unintelligent, and if you keep judging players based on small sample sizes, your opinion will fluctuate week in and week out.

Lamela is one of our most talented players, and barring injury, I really believe he will be a world star for us. Just gotta have a little patience.

i think i see what your getting at

you equate me saying that i dont see the 30 million pound big deal in this guy as me saying that he is not worth 30 million pounds, period!!

why cant it simply be that i didnt see the 30 million pounds worth? why is there a final judgement based on the one game?

I didn't come across clearly, but i was talking about his STYLE of play is Barca. Fast, decisive, progressive one touch passing and MOVEMENT.

As for the player himself and Barca, i don't know. Maybe. I think within a year, yes.

ah yes of course

in that case i agree entirely

i think to those that can read between the lines i dont have to really add much. going around in circles abit

too much oestrogen v testosterone here anyway tbh

one thing is for sure. The 30 mill price tag will put more pressure on him and we have to see if he can handle it. Bigger more experienced players than him have failed to justify their massive transfer fees

in one way Eriksen doesnt have this added pressure. What did he cost? 10 mill iirc

just depends on how big an importance each of us places on how much a player costs

Isn't Eriksen usually pretty meh for Denmark though? He strikes me as someone who needs intelligent, technical players around him to flourish (along with protection at the back), or otherwise his passes are all going to be either really conservative or look like they're going astray because he likes to pass to (dangerous) space. You need to actually make the proper runs for him to be effective, he's a *thinker* and string-puller, not someone who is going to dribble through four players and volley it into the top left.

Lamela is more of a dribbler and individualist than Eriksen, but he is not a flashy winger like Townsend and if you look at his goals, the vast majority of them come in the box, very close to goal. He is a lovely link-up player who scores from clever runs into the box, not a Bale clone who will score wondergoals every other game regardless of where he is. And from what I've heard, he can definitely disappear for stretches until emerging with a moment of the sublime - and I think that's an age and familiarity and shyness thing, because Draxler with all his lovely technique does this too, and in a much more open league. These kids aren't going to be tormenting FBs for 90 minutes or imposing themselves or running a game like Modric can, they have all the talent in the world but they really need to grow in confidence and familiarity with their teammates and vice versa (I noticed that we were hesitating to pass to him at times when he was making good runs - familiarity issue).

For the moment, I think it'll just be flashes of the incredible in a sea of tidy, pretty passing as he looks to settle in. If you want constant charges forward, that's Townsend with his extrovert personality and youthful self-confidence after a year of being the only potential savior in a **** team; same goes for Rose after Sunderland. Personally I think it's very good to have a variety of options - we need some shameless enthusiasm as well as the more measured, 'thinking man's' team ethos. (And I'm not saying that Lamela lacks swagger and leadership - remember how he tried to save his hometown club River Plate as an 18-year-old - but this is a real culture shock for him. I doubt he wanted to leave Roma, so as fans I hope we really try to make him fall in love with us.)

Isn't Eriksen usually pretty meh for Denmark though? He strikes me as someone who needs intelligent, technical players around him to flourish (along with protection at the back), or otherwise his passes are all going to be either really conservative or look like they're going astray because he likes to pass to (dangerous) space. You need to actually make the proper runs for him to be effective, he's a *thinker* and string-puller, not someone who is going to dribble through four players and volley it into the top left.

Lamela is more of a dribbler and individualist than Eriksen, but he is not a flashy winger like Townsend and if you look at his goals, the vast majority of them come in the box, very close to goal. He is a lovely link-up player who scores from clever runs into the box, not a Bale clone who will score wondergoals every other game regardless of where he is. And from what I've heard, he can definitely disappear for stretches until emerging with a moment of the sublime - and I think that's an age and familiarity and shyness thing, because Draxler with all his lovely technique does this too, and in a much more open league. These kids aren't going to be tormenting FBs for 90 minutes or imposing themselves or running a game like Modric can, they have all the talent in the world but they really need to grow in confidence and familiarity with their teammates and vice versa (I noticed that we were hesitating to pass to him at times when he was making good runs - familiarity issue).

For the moment, I think it'll just be flashes of the incredible in a sea of tidy, pretty passing as he looks to settle in. If you want constant charges forward, that's Townsend with his extrovert personality and youthful self-confidence after a year of being the only potential savior in a **** team; same goes for Rose after Sunderland. Personally I think it's very good to have a variety of options - we need some shameless enthusiasm as well as the more measured, 'thinking man's' team ethos. (And I'm not saying that Lamela lacks swagger and leadership - remember how he tried to save his hometown club River Plate as an 18-year-old - but this is a real culture shock for him. I doubt he wanted to leave Roma, so as fans I hope we really try to make him fall in love with us.)

funny thing is that Bale isnt even this type of player.:) Apart from that 3 or 4 month spell at the back end of last season, Bale didnt have such a good record of shooting effectively from outside the box and scoring wondergoals

very good final point. Im not sure he wanted to leave Roma either.

Can someone please tell me a better pass for an assist than Lamela's last night? I can only think of a couple form JD against Arsenal.

To put things into prospective. I cannot think of one from Hudd, who many thought was a fantastic passer. Hudd was at the club for 6 years and did not provide a pass like that.

That is what you get for £30m.

Perhqps both Erik and Chris saw Bale make the leap from prodigy to superstar at Tottenhak and decided this was the place to come.
I loved Lamellas defensive attitude, speaks well of his overall attitude.
Eriksens goal though, he could do that against anyone anywhere ...

This thread is perfect evidence as to why you should not base your expectations on a player you have not seen on the opinons of others.

Perhqps both Erik and Chris saw Bale make the leap from prodigy to superstar at Tottenhak and decided this was the place to come.
I loved Lamellas defensive attitude, speaks well of his overall attitude.
Eriksens goal though, he could do that against anyone anywhere ...

I must confess that is something I had not noticed before

Interestingly enough, I thought Roma fans said defense was a relatively weak part of his game? But Argentinian fans were saying the opposite, so I have no idea - it may just be Roma's coach, because I have heard that he specifically sets up his system to free up the RWF to score.

I think a lot of our players have grown in terms of pressing and defensive workrate under AVB though. It comes naturally to Parker, Dembele etc but certainly Defoe surprised me as a lone striker last season, and Siggy has gotten better over time. Bale got much more proactive about getting involved in general play.

Lamela already looks like an intelligent player so I can see coaching really taking him to the next level, though it may look like it's "cramping his style" at first because he has less freedom and has to take some time to think rather than go off of instinct. Last year it took half a season for most of our players to start grasping AVB's ethos.

This thread is perfect evidence as to why you should not base your expectations on a player you have not seen on the opinons of others.

no, its evidence of how polarised we can be

i mean really , that pass is the best pass for an assist that has happened for tottenham as far as people can remember?

but it's okay, its like the circle of life, we will get polarisation...we will get people loving players swearing that players wont leave , we get players leaving and breaking hearts..we get new players in and polarise and it all starts all over again

Interestingly enough, I thought Roma fans said defense was a relatively weak part of his game? But Argentinian fans were saying the opposite, so I have no idea - it may just be Roma's coach, because I have heard that he specifically sets up his system to free up the RWF to score.

I think a lot of our players have grown in terms of pressing and defensive workrate under AVB though. It comes naturally to Parker, Dembele etc but certainly Defoe surprised me as a lone striker last season, and Siggy has gotten better over time. Bale got much more proactive about getting involved in general play.

Lamela already looks like an intelligent player so I can see coaching really taking him to the next level, though it may look like it's "cramping his style" at first because he has less freedom and has to take some time to think rather than go off of instinct. Last year it took half a season for most of our players to start grasping AVB's ethos.

i actually read somewhere that lamela prefers transition and fluid football...counter attacking and direct stuff. but that possesion based games really hampered his progression. ha, you just reminded me of that..it was under luis enrique that he didnt play well and enrique was promoting the tiki taka stuff

Can someone please tell me a better pass for an assist than Lamela's last night? I can only think of a couple form JD against Arsenal.

To put things into prospective. I cannot think of one from Hudd, who many thought was a fantastic passer. Hudd was at the club for 6 years and did not provide a pass like that.

That is what you get for £30m.

:lol:

With his wrong foot.

Think harder...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTIIMinHME

:lol:

With his wrong foot.

Think harder...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTIIMinHME

To be honest i think Lamela's was better than that, Hudd has massive amounts of time there, City just don't press him.

Not to say Lamela's was the best though, think i recall one Bale scored after a run inside from the right, someone chipped it over towards the right hand post and he just touches it in.. Can't remember when/where though.

One assist means **** all really though in the greater scheme of things.

Last edited:

To be honest i think Lamela's was better than that, Hudd has massive amounts of time there, City just don't press him.

Not to say Lamela's was the best though, think i recall one Bale scored after a run inside from the right, someone chipped it over towards the right hand post and he just touches it in.. Can't remember when/where though.

One assist means **** all really though in the greater scheme of things.

Yeah, maybe. Just illustrating a point really.

Plus, Hudd bisects two players with that pass right into Bale's path. The weight and angle is perfect.

Back