• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Erik Lamela - Official

Yeah, maybe. Just illustrating a point really.

Plus, Hudd bisects two players with that pass right into Bale's path. The weight and angle is perfect.

i actually think its harder to play thudds pass as it happens. as you say it was a narrowing corridor of defenders.....the angle and weight had to be just right otherwise someone cuts it out

For a full home debut, I thought he showed us tantalising glimpses of the talent he possesses. I was particularly impressed with his economy of touch, his quick passing and his clever movement. In AVB and Baldini I trust, but I think we might have another superstar on our books?

Isn't Eriksen usually pretty meh for Denmark though? He strikes me as someone who needs intelligent, technical players around him to flourish (along with protection at the back), or otherwise his passes are all going to be either really conservative or look like they're going astray because he likes to pass to (dangerous) space. You need to actually make the proper runs for him to be effective, he's a *thinker* and string-puller, not someone who is going to dribble through four players and volley it into the top left.

Lamela is more of a dribbler and individualist than Eriksen, but he is not a flashy winger like Townsend and if you look at his goals, the vast majority of them come in the box, very close to goal. He is a lovely link-up player who scores from clever runs into the box, not a Bale clone who will score wondergoals every other game regardless of where he is. And from what I've heard, he can definitely disappear for stretches until emerging with a moment of the sublime - and I think that's an age and familiarity and shyness thing, because Draxler with all his lovely technique does this too, and in a much more open league. These kids aren't going to be tormenting FBs for 90 minutes or imposing themselves or running a game like Modric can, they have all the talent in the world but they really need to grow in confidence and familiarity with their teammates and vice versa (I noticed that we were hesitating to pass to him at times when he was making good runs - familiarity issue).

For the moment, I think it'll just be flashes of the incredible in a sea of tidy, pretty passing as he looks to settle in. If you want constant charges forward, that's Townsend with his extrovert personality and youthful self-confidence after a year of being the only potential savior in a **** team; same goes for Rose after Sunderland. Personally I think it's very good to have a variety of options - we need some shameless enthusiasm as well as the more measured, 'thinking man's' team ethos. (And I'm not saying that Lamela lacks swagger and leadership - remember how he tried to save his hometown club River Plate as an 18-year-old - but this is a real culture shock for him. I doubt he wanted to leave Roma, so as fans I hope we really try to make him fall in love with us.)

Great post. This is exactly how I see the situation.

Perhqps both Erik and Chris saw Bale make the leap from prodigy to superstar at Tottenhak and decided this was the place to come.

That's almost certainly true. Lamela in particular, because his dad/agent is an ex player and would have a more strategic view of planning his son's career than many ordinary agents. In that regard Spurs at 21 years old is a perfect move.

To be honest i think Lamela's was better than that, Hudd has massive amounts of time there, City just don't press him.

Not to say Lamela's was the best though, think i recall one Bale scored after a run inside from the right, someone chipped it over towards the right hand post and he just touches it in.. Can't remember when/where though.

One assist means **** all really though in the greater scheme of things.

Modric at home to Wigan if it's the same one I'm thinking of.

I think Lamela looks like a decent enough player. The point is more where is he going to play. The ball to Defoe and the way he drifted between the lines when he came central suggests his best position might be central behind the striker. And he would probably get to play there -- were it not for the fact that Eriksen looks like the steal of the season and may be a really special player in that position.

So I think the issue is less about Lamela's ability and more about him getting to play in the position where he can demonstrate his best ability.

it's not really about what someone said or didn't say; it's more about the idea that you could say someone isn't worth X amount of money based on ONE performance. I just think that's unintelligent, and if you keep judging players based on small sample sizes, your opinion will fluctuate week in and week out.be honest,

In a nutshell, therein lies the rub.

Besides while you are rightly entitled to your opinion how can one for instance make an informed opinion on a player or a team based on just one match? Hands up all football fans and media types who wrote the Goons off after their defeat against Villa first game of the season?

I apologise for my 'wow' post - I was just stunned there was even a debate on Erik at this point (I find it hard to waffle when I am stunned).

What is the actual debate here please?

Isn't Eriksen usually pretty meh for Denmark though? He strikes me as someone who needs intelligent, technical players around him to flourish (along with protection at the back), or otherwise his passes are all going to be either really conservative or look like they're going astray because he likes to pass to (dangerous) space. You need to actually make the proper runs for him to be effective, he's a *thinker* and string-puller, not someone who is going to dribble through four players and volley it into the top left.

Lamela is more of a dribbler and individualist than Eriksen, but he is not a flashy winger like Townsend and if you look at his goals, the vast majority of them come in the box, very close to goal. He is a lovely link-up player who scores from clever runs into the box, not a Bale clone who will score wondergoals every other game regardless of where he is. And from what I've heard, he can definitely disappear for stretches until emerging with a moment of the sublime - and I think that's an age and familiarity and shyness thing, because Draxler with all his lovely technique does this too, and in a much more open league. These kids aren't going to be tormenting FBs for 90 minutes or imposing themselves or running a game like Modric can, they have all the talent in the world but they really need to grow in confidence and familiarity with their teammates and vice versa (I noticed that we were hesitating to pass to him at times when he was making good runs - familiarity issue).

For the moment, I think it'll just be flashes of the incredible in a sea of tidy, pretty passing as he looks to settle in. If you want constant charges forward, that's Townsend with his extrovert personality and youthful self-confidence after a year of being the only potential savior in a **** team; same goes for Rose after Sunderland. Personally I think it's very good to have a variety of options - we need some shameless enthusiasm as well as the more measured, 'thinking man's' team ethos. (And I'm not saying that Lamela lacks swagger and leadership - remember how he tried to save his hometown club River Plate as an 18-year-old - but this is a real culture shock for him. I doubt he wanted to leave Roma, so as fans I hope we really try to make him fall in love with us.)

Another cracking post.

I knew nothing about him before he joined us and like many here thought he was Bale-like (or lite.)

Lamela will be a slow burner. He is still a kid and he will have to be treated with kid gloves.

Last edited:

Besides while you are rightly entitled to your opinion how can one for instance make an informed opinion on a player or a team based on just one match? Hands up all football fans and media types who wrote the Goons off after their defeat against Villa first game of the season?
LOL...aarrrrgh.....:lol:
i cant take this **** anymore.

i'm definately staying away from this thread and people like you that seem to beat a drum to a tune that doesnt exist

I apologise for my 'wow' post - I was just stunned there was even a debate on Erik at this point (I find it hard to waffle when I am stunned).

What is the actual debate here please?

there isnt actually a debate, the wow post basically offered nothing as far as i can tell but just add fuel to the mob mentality. its quite frankly very easy to do if you can manufacture a cause out of thin air and burn people you dont like with it. am actually not sure how yu can be stunned there is a debate about something and then ask what it is, you must have an idea what it is in the first place in order to get stunned to a wow by it

am just running on fumes right now and quite frankly am tired of the whole thing to be honest. read through if you can be arsed an fill your boots sir.

there isnt actually a debate, the wow post basically offered nothing as far as i can tell but just add fuel to the mob mentality. its quite frankly very easy to do if you can manufacture a cause out of thin air and burn people you dont like with it. am actually not sure how yu can be stunned there is a debate about something and then ask what it is, you must have an idea what it is in the first place in order to get stunned to a wow by it

am just running on fumes right now and quite frankly am tired of the whole thing to be honest. read through if you can be arsed an fill your boots sir.

People I don't like? Is that how you approach posts cos I certainly do not.

My wow was based on the opinions prior to my posts which suggested that posters were questionning him before he's even played a handful of games.

What is the actual debate? - is Erik bad or good is not a debate after 90 minutes (as you have said yourself).

Break your response down - it sounds like you are chasing your own tail.

But those people should rightly be derided for their short-sidedness. It's such a big issue with the punditry in and around football. It is a long season, and one good/bad performance does not a season make, and that also goes for Eriksen. Though he had a blinding start, let's stay behind him even if his form dips at times. I think we have two real gems in Lamela and Eriksen, and that opinion hasn't changed one bit during the last few weeks.

People I don't like? Is that how you approach posts cos I certainly do not.

My wow was based on the opinions prior to my posts which suggested that posters were questionning him before he's even played a handful of games.

What is the actual debate? - is Erik bad or good is not a debate after 90 minutes (as you have said yourself).

Break your response down - it sounds like you are chasing your own tail.

whatever man. wow, stunned..hopefully that can get me out of actually saying anything

Last edited:

He got a nice assist the other night, hopefully he'll impact games more once he settles in.

defoeee.gif

That is a sublime ball, sorry.

I could watch it all day.. If he can play passes like that two or three times a game, then who the **** cares what else he does. It's the one aspect to our play we've been missing for years.

He actually had 3 key passes in the game, tied for the best with Holtby I think.

Man if it's like this already, I fear for us after he actually starts playing premier league games :lol: Was Modric ever picked apart like this, or did the whole '2 points 8 games' thing kinda overshadow everything?

Back