• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

He may turn out to be the best GK in the world but from what I've seen of LLoris so far I've not been too impressed tbh. Whilst he's shown signs of being able to dominate his area in a way that Friedel can only dream about, there have also been real mix-ups with his defenders where he has rushed out to clear when the defender already had it covered, one weak punch straight to the opposition when it would have been easier to have made a catch, and worst of all, alarmingly poor distribution all round.

I'm worried he'll turn out to be another Gomes, capable of world class saves but let down by unpredictable antics and stuff.

So I say let's keep Friedel for Premiership games until either he hits a spell of poor form or Lloris demonstrates beyond question in cup games that he can do that much better.

Lloris is one of the top keepers in the world so it's going to be hard for us to keep hold of him. Therefore, we might as well play him as much as possible.

I was reluctant for AVB to drop Friedel at first as Friedel was playing well, but once he did finally go for Lloris, why did he then go back to Friedel? Lloris made a bad throw which nearly led to Villa scoring, but other than that, did he deserve to get dropped for the Chelsea game?

Who would you say are the others and where does Lloris feature in that list?

Buffon
Casillas
Neuer
Hart
Cech
Lloris
Handanovic

The other three places are too subjective, put whoever you want in there.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1189932-ranking-the-top-20-goalkeepers-in-world-football/page/14
http://fourfourtwo.com/lists/thefft100toptengoalkeepers.aspx
http://worldsoccer.about.com/od/internationals/tp/tengoalkeepers.htm
http://ministryofglove.wordpress.com/category/goalkeeper-rankings/

Some other rankings. I'm not using them as "evidence" or anything like that, but he really is rated that highly around the footballing world. His reputation as a goalkeeper is higher than ours as a club so that's why some see it as a bit of a joke that he's currently on the bench. I don't think Reina should be in any of those lists, when he's at top form then ok but he hasn't been that for at least a couple of years now.

So because Lloris is one of the top rated players he shouldn't have to earn his place?

If he is that good he will earn his place. If he's not that good we'll continue with the rotation policy until Freidel leaves come the end of the season.

Maybe he should get a run in the team to show how good he is? You can only learn so much from watching someone in training.

So because Lloris is one of the top rated players he shouldn't have to earn his place?

If he is that good he will earn his place. If he's not that good we'll continue with the rotation policy until Freidel leaves come the end of the season.

Where have I said contrary to that?

We didn't spend that much on him, people keep saying he was a bargain.

We didn't spend it, and whatever his wages are, for a backup GK IMO.

Worst case scenario we end this season with two retiring keepers and two others desperate to leave. Some of the most important qualities of a GK are confidence and desire. No matter how much anyone talks about players being professionals, if your motivation drops it's hard to fix it. You want your GK (or any other player) to give everything he's got to get to that ball first.

We didn't spend it, and whatever his wages are, for a backup GK IMO.

Worst case scenario we end this season with two retiring keepers and two others desperate to leave. Some of the most important qualities of a GK are confidence and desire. No matter how much anyone talks about players being professionals, if your motivation drops it's hard to fix it. You want your GK (or any other player) to give everything he's got to get to that ball first.

The only reason i can see Lloris being desperate to leave is the situation in which he is not good enough to claim the first team spot.

If that is the case, then by all means he can leave.

The only reason i can see Lloris being desperate to leave is the situation in which he is not good enough to claim the first team spot.

If that is the case, then by all means he can leave.

But how can he claim that spot if we keep playing Friedel?

But how can he claim that spot if we keep playing Friedel?

We don't. Currently we have been rotating. Lloris has yet to show that he is of a better quality than Freidel in the games he has played thus far. When/If he does then he will have that first team spot.

We don't. Currently we have been rotating. Lloris has yet to show that he is of a better quality than Freidel in the games he has played thus far. When/If he does then he will have that first team spot.

He needs to get a few league games on the trot and if I should just rate them on their performances so far I'd say Lloris is a fraction ahead of Friedel.

Back