• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Lloris has had practically nothing to do in 4 games, but how about the quality he's shown for France in European and World tournaments or for Lyon in the Champions League and Ligue 1? Or is it entirely based on what he's done for Spurs so far? Would you feel the same if we'd signed Casillas or Buffon? Until they pull off 8 miraculous saves against sides that can barely muster a shot on target, they're 2nd choice behind Friedel?

Lloris has had practically nothing to do in 4 games, but how about the quality he's shown for France in European and World tournaments or for Lyon in the Champions League and Ligue 1? Or is it entirely based on what he's done for Spurs so far? Would you feel the same if we'd signed Casillas or Buffon? Until they pull off 8 miraculous saves against sides that can barely muster a shot on target, they're 2nd choice behind Friedel?

It has to be what he has shown for Spurs, because he hasn't played anywhere else in England, and each different country plus international is a different kettle of fish.

Doesn't even have to pull off eight miraculous saves. He has shown a tendency to have an error or two in him when picked, has come and missed the ball on a couple of occasions. Against the easier sides, which is fortunate as he has not been punished for them.

I would feel exactly the same if we had signed casillas and buffon (As long as the signing occurred post friendlies).

It has to be what he has shown for Spurs, because he hasn't played anywhere else in England, and each different country plus international is a different kettle of fish.

Doesn't even have to pull off eight miraculous saves. He has shown a tendency to have an error or two in him when picked, has come and missed the ball on a couple of occasions. Against the easier sides, which is fortunate as he has not been punished for them.

I would feel exactly the same if we had signed casillas and buffon (As long as the signing occurred post friendlies).

I think in all fairness, we could point the same finger at Brad in this regard. Both great keepers but it is time IMO...

All keepers (players) make mistakes.

Arcy/Steff,

Why do you think that AVB is continuing with Brad? You were two of the most vocal supporters for AVB being appointed and both spoke of his long term vision and his analytical approach but yet you are two of the most critical (or at least vocal) posters on his only major selection decision (with the possible exception of Ade) so far?

I'm not entirely sure why he persists with Brad - it is decision I've made me feelings clear on in the past - no need to repeat the same comments again.

Being supportive of his appointment and long term vision for the club is completely un-related to being 'able' to question some of his selection/squad decisions. Or in other words - he is by no means exonerated of any constructive criticism/questions in my books simply because of who he is - no manager should be and that has nothing to do with 'supporting' him, of which he has my absolute 100%.

Supporting a manager and questioning some of his decisions on occasion are two completely separate aspects, and in my view - he is not making the right choice here.

I'm not entirely sure why he persists with Brad - it is decision I've made me feelings clear on in the past - no need to repeat the same comments again.

Being supportive of his appointment and long term vision for the club is completely un-related to being 'able' to question some of his selection/squad decisions. Or in other words - he is by no means exonerated of any constructive criticism/questions in my books simply because of who he is - no manager should be and that has nothing to do with 'supporting' him, of which he has my absolute 100%.

Supporting a manager and questioning some of his decisions on occasion are two completely separate aspects, and in my view - he is not making the right choice here.

Agree wholeheartedly. I understand that AVB's egalitarian approach to squad building involves treating everyone equally, but I'm not convinced he's doing the right thing here. I still think Lloris will be first choice by the end of November, but Deschamps' annoying snipes at the club are exacerbating the situation. It's a tricky situation, undoutedly; on the one hand, you have a solid but unremarkable keeper who's been completely professional and reliable, and on the other you have a big-money signing with an equally big reputation who questions you in the press and is harped about in press conferences by his national team manager and his country's press outlets. One clearly deserves to start more than the other, but sometimes football isn't about deserving your place, and everything to do with your price tag and reputation securing your place for you.

"His situation appears to me to be incomprehensible," Deschamps told reporters.

"We are not talking about a young goalkeeper but a guy who has been the France keeper for several years, who has played dozens of matches in the Champions League.

"The problem is that he jumped on the train when it had already left the station and he did not start the season.

"The English league had started when he signed in August."

However, Deschamps clarified that Lloris, who saved a penalty against European champions Spain last time out for his country, would remain his No.1 keeper whatever the situation.

“The really important thing is that a player speaks directly with his coach and if Hugo had done that, maybe he would not have signed for Tottenham," he added.

"But as for the French team, he is not in danger. He proved against Spain that he is a great keeper."

"His situation appears to me to be incomprehensible," Deschamps told reporters.

"We are not talking about a young goalkeeper but a guy who has been the France keeper for several years, who has played dozens of matches in the Champions League.

"The problem is that he jumped on the train when it had already left the station and he did not start the season.

"The English league had started when he signed in August."

However, Deschamps clarified that Lloris, who saved a penalty against European champions Spain last time out for his country, would remain his No.1 keeper whatever the situation.

“The really important thing is that a player speaks directly with his coach and if Hugo had done that, maybe he would not have signed for Tottenham," he added.

"But as for the French team, he is not in danger. He proved against Spain that he is a great keeper."

So he says the situation makes no sense, and then goes on to explain why it makes sense?

Nice one Deschamps.

I think he's saying more it doesn't make sense that Hugo didn't speak to AVB and came to Spurs.

He says that in the end yes, but only after he first states: "His situation appears to me to be incomprehensible," only to follow it by: "The problem is that he jumped on the train when it had already left the station and he did not start the season ...The English league had started when he signed in August."

I read somewhere Lloris doesn't speak much English. Could it be the reason why AVB keep on starting Friedel in league matches ?

Anyway, have to agree with what Deschamps says. We should have signed Lloris before the season started. That would have made it easier to drop Friedel and start Lloris in every match.

Why switch a position with a new player if your incumbent is doing enough ? I'm not condoning AVB's action, just trying to understand it. I think he's playing it safe, but if Gallas is captain, it would be great to know what he thinks of the situation, il est francais aussi.

Just makes me think this is a bit like levy with vdv as a pressy to arry, on the cheap like for a quality international. I've said before i think Lloris should start EPL games - i think a long trrm switch will come later on in the season. He's easing him in so that Lloris is not to be shocked. Nor AVB for that matter, just imho.

All keepers (players) make mistakes.

Arcy/Steff,

Why do you think that AVB is continuing with Brad? You were two of the most vocal supporters for AVB being appointed and both spoke of his long term vision and his analytical approach but yet you are two of the most critical (or at least vocal) posters on his only major selection decision (with the possible exception of Ade) so far?

Great question.

I think AVB is very very aware of establishing a form of meritocracy PLUS I think he also understands that Friedel is one of the very few veterans at his disposal right now. I think he thus concludes that for now, it is best to let the situation continue AND allow Lloris to have a more leisurely immersion into British Premiership culture (having himself had such a steep learning curve last year I suspect he appreciates the importance of this more than most). So given the fact that Brad is established with the defence at least, and given further that he has not committed any MAJOR errors (I've always maintained that there are situations I believe his AGE has contributed to) I think he's happy to let the situation occur organically. The twofold result is that he further has the entire squad on his side, plus Lloris gets a little more time to observe and adapt. PERSONALLY I'd like him to pull the trigger, but I DO trust AVB; never criticized him on this, just aired my personal opinion on what I would do.

As for Ade, there is no selection issue mate. Until the player gets his mental brick together and poses a selection problem, AVB is working essentially with one striker, which is nothing short of amazing.

I read somewhere Lloris doesn't speak much English. Could it be the reason why AVB keep on starting Friedel in league matches ?

Anyway, have to agree with what Deschamps says. We should have signed Lloris before the season started. That would have made it easier to drop Friedel and start Lloris in every match.

Lloris didn't become available to us until the very end of the transfer window as Lyon were desperate to make some money.

Lloris didn't become available to us until the very end of the transfer window as Lyon were desperate to make some money.

Lloris was available all summer, it was just typical Levy waiting till the end of the window to get the best price

I'm not asking you to repeat your reasons for thinking Lloris should start, you are right, you have made them very clear. I think that it is interesting to discuss why AVB is making the selection decisions that he is and what his reasons might be. The guy is clearly no idiot and his detailed and thorough approach to each game is well documented. Unlike Harry, AVB spends a lot of time on the training pitch and is very involved in training.

Lloris was available all summer, it was just typical Levy waiting till the end of the window to get the best price

We enquired early, but the clubs were miles apart in their valuations. We weren't interested any more, but they came back to us with a lowered asking price late in the window. We were happy to stick with the keepers we had, but in the end Lloris was too good to turn down.

Back