• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Sell our best and replace with inferior. Excellent plan for on field success
Pretty sure nobody has suggested that.

What people *are* suggesting is that we should sell our best players if we get offers that exceed the amount it would take to bring in an improvement. Whether you think we could get an upgrade on Kane for £50m or an upgrade on Lloris for £30m is a whole other issue (and an argument worth having). But nobody is suggesting we deliberately downgrade.

---------------------------------

EDIT: For the record, I don't think we should sell Lloris as (I suspect) I rate him a lot higher than many others and I think we'd struggle to replace him with someone "as good", let alone better. I think we'd end up with a decent keeper, but not one who would earn us as many points as Lloris.

But others disagree - not because they want to downgrade our keeper situation - but because they think we can replace Lloris with someone as good.

If we ever have a player who is really fudging good, it is because we have taken a gamble on someone becoming good over a period of time, or been in the right place at the right time (Lloris/VdV). If they are that good, they have aspirations to play for a more successful team than us. Under normal circumstances we cannot sell a good player and replace with the same quality in the short term. Therefore selling our best players is always likely to set us back in the short term.

we could improve on lloris for under 30m, we couldn't improve on Kane for 50m
If we ever have a player who is really fudgeing good, it is because we have taken a gamble on someone becoming good over a period of time, or been in the right place at the right time (Lloris/VdV). If they are that good, they have aspirations to play for a more successful team than us. Under normal circumstances we cannot sell a good player and replace with the same quality in the short term. Therefore selling our best players is always likely to set us back in the short term.

until we stick with a setup for a number of seasons and consistently pick up young players with potential who in turn go on to fulfill that potential

Pretty sure nobody has suggested that.

What people *are* suggesting is that we should sell our best players if we get offers that exceed the amount it would take to bring in an improvement. Whether you think we could get an upgrade on Kane for £50m or an upgrade on Lloris for £30m is a whole other issue (and an argument worth having). But nobody is suggesting we deliberately downgrade.

---------------------------------

EDIT: For the record, I don't think we should sell Lloris as (I suspect) I rate him a lot higher than many others and I think we'd struggle to replace him with someone "as good", let alone better. I think we'd end up with a decent keeper, but not one who would earn us as many points as Lloris.

But others disagree - not because they want to downgrade our keeper situation - but because they think we can replace Lloris with someone as good.

The best teams don't necessarily need star plays 1 to 11. It could be possible to sell Lloris and replace him with an adequate keeper for a lot less and spend the rest on improving elsewhere and end up with a better team. I would still prefer to hold onto him though.

Lloris is a good keeper but not world class ( imo). As it happens the best keeper I have ever seen anywhere is 70 today, have a great day Pat.

I agree on both counts. I thought that the last world cup really showed how far short of Neuer, Lloris is.

Sell our best and replace with inferior. Excellent plan for on field success

That's an extremely simplistic comment. If we sell Lloris for 35 mill, buy a Begovic for 15 and then use the 20 mill for a good defensive midfielder, I am sure that our defensive record will improve. Of course I would love to sign that DM and keep Lloris but understand that this is not Football Manager...

As galeforce said, the offer from United for Bale came in very late in the day when terms had pretty much been agreed with Madrid.

Sheringham, Carrick and Berbatov... Like I said, I'm hopeful that Levy will knock United back like he did with Chelsea but I remain unconvinced.

Big difference holding off Fergie vs holding off Utd.

I'll be in the minority then, I think he is world class. We've been lucky to of had some very good goalies in the PL era, Lloris is streets ahead of any of them. He might not be as good as Neuer but he is still in the world class category...

I'll be in the minority then, I think he is world class. We've been lucky to of had some very good goalies in the PL era, Lloris is streets ahead of any of them. He might not be as good as Neuer but he is still in the world class category...

What does world class mean if it is not being one of the best two or three in the world in your position? I think that it is a term that has become devalued through overuse.

I think it's a term that has never truly been defined, consequently everyone has their own understanding, ultimately no one knows what it means

There is no widely-agreed definition of the term 'world class' but it must surely be possible to have more than two or three in each position?

Which of these strikers/ attacking forwards is not world class?

Suarez, Aguerro, Ronaldo, Costa, Muller, Falcao, Van Persie, Sanchez, Ibrahimovic, Bale, Tevez, Neymar, Robben, Mandzukic, Lewandowski, Messi, Cavani, Falcao, Van Persie, Rooney, Rodriguez, Ribery, Benzema

There is no widely-agreed definition of the term 'world class' but it must surely be possible to have more than two or three in each position?

Which of these strikers/ attacking forwards is not world class?

Suarez, Aguerro, Ronaldo, Costa, Muller, Falcao, Van Persie, Sanchez, Ibrahimovic, Bale, Tevez, Neymar, Robben, Mandzukic, Lewandowski, Messi, Cavani, Falcao, Van Persie, Rooney, Rodriguez, Ribery, Benzema

the bolded players are not currently World Class, and mostly never were

it all depends on definition, by some yes you could have multiple players in on position, conversely, at a point in time you could have no world class keepers for example

What does world class mean if it is not being one of the best two or three in the world in your position? I think that it is a term that has become devalued through overuse.
Yeah I suppose it depends on the individuals definition. But look at tennis for example, you have Federer, Nadal,Murray and Djokovic(probably spelt wrong) all of whom are world class and playing in the same era. Usually there are only one or two at their level in a period of time, so to put a limit to a number of people to fit in that category is wrong in my opinion. If there are multiple people of exceptional standard then so be it.

Anyway, regardless we will not see another keeper of whatever level you want to label Lloris playing for us again for a long time in my opinion....

Back