• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Why would he be more expensive than what we paid for him (£8m apparently)? His profile is the same (he was France's GK and rated top 5 in the world) and he's not improved substantially (not that there's ever been much room to do so). He's also 28 now, rather than 25.

I honestly don't think we'd be able to get more than £15m for him due to the unique GK market.

GK cost half the value compared to outfield players, and CF cost twice. That's just what the market is.

I thought we paid £12m for him?

He's played in the Premier League, which is a more high profile league than Ligue 1.

28 isn't old for a keeper, far from it.

This is Levy we are talking about. I'm not his biggest fan, but when it comes pulling other clubs' pants down for transfer fees, he is in a league of his own. I wonder how much he would have got for David Luiz?

Well, I guess we will see in the summer whether Real view his distribution as a priority or a big factor.

Where would you rank him them? Top 10? Top 5?

Yeah. Can't do much other than wait and see. Of course even if they don't go for him it might not be a direct result of his distribution...

Probably top 10. I think it could be argued that he's in the top 5, but I couldn't honestly argue that it's the case.

i'm not sure if there is anything in this or not, but if he does end up at Madrid they might have a different view (and valuation) of him there due to him being in the Lyon side that tripped them up so often

They've changed their story:
Manchester United transfer hopes scuppered as reports of Hugo Lloris’ Tottenham release clause quashed

No way £40m!

Only 5 GKs ever have been sold for more than £10m, and only 1 more than £19m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_(association_football)#Highest_fees

the time's and values of players are changing and just because they were not worth x amount in the past does not mean they are not worth it now. If a championship striker can move to another championship club for £10m then anything is possible.

All while you have idiot's with cash on the hip the more the silly spending continues.

Paper talk of De Gea going for £50m?

Are we still saying £12m for Lloris?

Paper talk saying that Lloris has a buyout clause... Oh wait. Perhaps we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on whatever the latest newspaper speculations are?

Would be surprised if Real paid that for De Gea with a year left on his contract. But let's not forget that this is Real Madrid and once they decide that a player is the right player for them they're often willing to go way above and beyond to get that player. If they really consider De Gea to be the best and most suitable goalkeeper that is gettable for them they might be willing to pay a huge premium.

The point all along, for me at least, is that Lloris won't be as clear a choice for a club willing to spend money the way Real do. I don't think he'll go for as little as £12m, for me quite obviously so. But I really doubt clubs will be willing to offer much more than £20-25m for him.

It does raise the question though. What would you be happy to see us sell Lloris for?

We've had a questionable record in the transfer market recently so for me at least it would take a significant "profit" to be made for me to be happy. If we could fund Schneiderlin, a replacement like Begovic (or Sirigu if PSG target Lloris) and be left with £10-15m to spend on an attacking player it seems like a deal that would make us stronger overall.

Paper talk saying that Lloris has a buyout clause... Oh wait. Perhaps we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on whatever the latest newspaper speculations are?

Would be surprised if Real paid that for De Gea with a year left on his contract. But let's not forget that this is Real Madrid and once they decide that a player is the right player for them they're often willing to go way above and beyond to get that player. If they really consider De Gea to be the best and most suitable goalkeeper that is gettable for them they might be willing to pay a huge premium.

The point all along, for me at least, is that Lloris won't be as clear a choice for a club willing to spend money the way Real do. I don't think he'll go for as little as £12m, for me quite obviously so. But I really doubt clubs will be willing to offer much more than £20-25m for him.

I try not to pay too much attention to paper talk, I was merely highlighting what Lloris' peers are rated at so £12m would seem like the bargain of the century if we were to sell him.

It does raise the question though. What would you be happy to see us sell Lloris for?

We've had a questionable record in the transfer market recently so for me at least it would take a significant "profit" to be made for me to be happy. If we could fund Schneiderlin, a replacement like Begovic (or Sirigu if PSG target Lloris) and be left with £10-15m to spend on an attacking player it seems like a deal that would make us stronger overall.
To be honest I don't really EVER want us to sell our best players. The only time I grudgingly accept it is when the player has a strop and makes it quite clear that they aren't going to play for spurs again (a la Modric, Berbatov and Bale). If Lloris were to go down that route then I would want upwards of £30 million for him. The keeper that I would go all out to replace him with would be Cech, who I think is a comparable keeper in terms of ability (although I'm sure both Chelsea selling him to us and his wages would be a problem).

I wouldn't be happy to see him sold. Full stop. There's no (realistic) figure you could name that I'd accept.

I think there's a tiny handful of genuinely world class goalkeepers in the game at any one time. And, while others are free to disagree, I think we have one of them right now. More than that; we don't have a chance in hell of signing any of the others. So losing Lloris will weaken us in a crucial position, and in a way that we're unlikely to fully compensate for any time soon. In Vorm I think we have an excellent back-up (probably the best back-up keeper in the league after Cech), but Lloris is in that elite group of goalkeepers that will put in enough game-saving performances over a season to significantly affect the team's points tally and final league position.

We'd be mad to exchange that for an extra few million to spend in midfield. We're a big enough club not to have to actively weaken a position in order to strengthen elsewhere. And no, I don't believe recent history disproves that... when a player (Bale, Modric, Berbatov) pushes for the exit these days, there's really not much clubs can do to hold onto them. And the same will be true if Lloris decides he wants out. But if he's happy to stay then I wouldn't be tempted by any realistic offer, because in the end it will weaken us (even if it allows us to upgrade another position).

Adrian 2nd, ha ha

someone was digging out Gomes in another thread, I'd still take him over half of those, I'd take Lloris over all of them though*

*De Gea I'd think about mind

Back