• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
I don't think Harry mentioned England at all in that interview so that was a plus (just the article inferring that).
I agree this is going to be close, let's hope the players and Harry can deliver us elite european football next season!

COYS

I don't think Harry mentioned England at all in that interview so that was a plus (just the article inferring that).
I agree this is going to be close, let's hope the players and Harry can deliver us elite european football next season!

COYS

Haha, I noticed that. Felt like he was concentrating on us, which is nice. With everyone focused, we should be fine.

Not really mate, we've identified plenty of affordable players, but Levy didn't feel the package was right. Look at Rossi, we were close on that one. Admittedly Redknapp made the call on Suarez, but what a lucky escape that was, the bloke's an utter tool. If you look through the news in the last 18 months we have been in negotiations for quite a lot of players. Some turned us down, some we turned down, some we couldn't come to agreement on.

But to say that Redknapp is not doing his job of creating a meaningful target list is utter gonads. And to say that it in any way has a majority of "known" Premiership players on it is almost certainly gonads too.

Good post

Not really mate, we've identified plenty of affordable players, but Levy didn't feel the package was right. Look at Rossi, we were close on that one. Admittedly Redknapp made the call on Suarez, but what a lucky escape that was, the bloke's an utter tool. If you look through the news in the last 18 months we have been in negotiations for quite a lot of players. Some turned us down, some we turned down, some we couldn't come to agreement on.

But to say that Redknapp is not doing his job of creating a meaningful target list is utter gonads. And to say that it in any way has a majority of "known" Premiership players on it is almost certainly gonads too.

=D>

Is that all you could pick out of that whole article? And you wonder why he doesnt say "our fans"......

Exactly. A lot of our fans seem to hate him despite what he's done for the club so what do you expect?

I'm not happy that we've blown a 10 point lead, but I'm glad it's happened now rather than in late April/May. Hopefully it will give our players a kick up the arse.

Haha, I noticed that. Felt like he was concentrating on us, which is nice. With everyone focused, we should be fine.

Maybe because he wasn't directly asked a question about it by the media for once?

When doesn't he concentrate on us? Do you think he's been turning up to training thinking about what his best England XI would be?

Exactly. A lot of our fans seem to hate him despite what he's done for the club so what do you expect?

I'm not happy that we've blown a 10 point lead, but I'm glad it's happened now rather than in late April/May. Hopefully it will give our players a kick up the arse.

If he had said something remotely controversial, this thread would be 3 pages long by now. Nothing to disagree with and a positive article, so alot of people cant be arsed to comment!

Good point about our bad run coming now rather than later....I would pay for a PL win right now.

Maybe because he wasn't directly asked a question about it by the media for once?

When doesn't he concentrate on us? Do you think he's been turning up to training thinking about what his best England XI would be?

If you can show me where you logically drew those conclusions from what I wrote, I'll answer your question.

Harry can't win really. He signs experienced, older players like Friedel, Gallas, Parker and Saha who are proven in the Premier League and he's criticised for being too short term. He signs highly rated youngsters like Sandro, Naughton and Walker and he's criticised for none of them being inspirational enough. He signs Van Der Vaart and people say it was all down to Levy. He publicly states that he's after Mata, Rossi, Remy, Hazard etc and people say he's going for targets that are way out of our league.

The fact is, he's got restrictions in place. He said last summer that lots of top players are interested in joining Spurs...provided the money is right. When we can only pay ?ú70k and there are three or four other clubs in the same division who will pay double that, he's always going to be tinkling into the wind. Our only option in these cases is to go into "wheeler-dealer" mode and sign players who's stock is low either because they're ageing (Parker), considered to be problematic (Adebayor) or both (Gallas). It's made us very successful so far. Imagine what we could achieve with another year of CL qualification under our belt and a bit more money to play with.

Harry can't win really. He signs experienced, older players like Friedel, Gallas, Parker and Saha who are proven in the Premier League and he's criticised for being too short term. He signs highly rated youngsters like Sandro, Naughton and Walker and he's criticised for none of them being inspirational enough. He signs Van Der Vaart and people say it was all down to Levy. He publicly states that he's after Mata, Rossi, Remy, Hazard etc and people say he's going for targets that are way out of our league.

The fact is, he's got restrictions in place. He said last summer that lots of top players are interested in joining Spurs...provided the money is right. When we can only pay ?ú70k and there are three or four other clubs in the same division who will pay double that, he's always going to be tinkling into the wind. Our only option in these cases is to go into "wheeler-dealer" mode and sign players who's stock is low either because they're ageing (Parker), considered to be problematic (Adebayor) or both (Gallas). It's made us very successful so far. Imagine what we could achieve with another year of CL qualification under our belt and a bit more money to play with.

=D>

Brilliant post

Did people really criticize Harry for signing Sandro and the Kyles by anyone other than possibly a very small minority? Most people seem quite excited whenever we sign promising youngsters. Harry made it pretty clear himself (although you never know if you can trust him) that VdV was Levy's doing and he just said ok.

I actually agree that some (or even much) of the criticism aimed at his transfer dealings is unfounded. But I think people are right to raise some questions. He's been here a while now, and the only young attacking players (forwards and attacking midfielders) that have come in have been Coulibaly, Ceballos and Falque this summer if I'm not mistaken.

The post you responded to doesnt say that nobody has the right to ask any questions.

Its aimed at the bullsh#t being spouted, not those raising genuine concerns with a balanced viewpoint.

Well you're expecting too much of Reknapp then. If you mean that Redknapp should be making personal phone calls or even flying out to convince a player, then fair enough... but he does that. In terms of timing and strength of the approach, all he can do is tell Daniel who he wants. It's a laugh really... When Redknapp came in people were screaming blue murder that he'd wreck our finanances... Now that it is perfectly evident that Redknapp has no financial say in transfers many of the same people (not aimed at you) are bemoaning his lack of involvement as "That's what managers should do"... Make up your minds!

No, it is more than that. And yes, perhaps I'm asking a bit much of it and it is just a trade off we have to accept with having someone with Redknapp at the helm.

And the point about those players I listed is not that they're all bad players or signings, it is that all established premiership. Injury or no injury to Defoe, he probably would not have turned down Keane. And these players tend to be disappointing value or don't really push us on. Yes, they 'did/do a job' and we can/will get our money back on most but this isn't the sort of player that got us to where we are and where we've been in the last few years. They will slot in okay around the key players but you take out those key players (who didn't sign under Redknapp) and we're looking at a 6th-8th squad.

I'm not really sure I agree that is the only option. Look at some of the players signed in the few years before Redknapp when we hadn't even been qualifying for Europe regularly, nevermind CL. That had little to do with resources and how much we'll pay them. It was that we laid some groundwork for them and made moves at the right time. As if plenty of clubs weren't aware of the likes of Modric, Bale, Berbatov etc. And clubs with plenty of more clout too. We simply beat them to the punch. Now all these years later we're told that the best we can do is Adebayor and Scott Parker?

Back