• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

And if that's truly the case then I am grateful that he's remained with us for as long as he has and is seemingly leaving in a way that gets us some recompense while also not joining a direct competitor in the same league when it would have been very easy to maximise his payout by running down his contract and leaving without us receiving a penny.
Yeah
This is a win win now
We get £££ which helps us rebuild
He gets medals
Shame we lose the best player we have had in my lifetime but the team could be better without him if everything works
It’s all subjective of course

When he is retired, no one will say that and he won’t care
Going to Bayern is the easy option when it comes to winning medals. It’s guaranteed
Same as France
Same as if he went to city
And all 3 pay silly money too
The only difference at Bayern is that he won’t be playing for a country
He doesn’t care unless as he has medals around his neck that confirm him as the great he is

Has he told you that? If not, how do you know?

If I were him then having a few Ligue 1 medals wouldnt make the slightest different to how I feel my career went

Based on where things stand today and with the years left which he has, his England top scorers record might remain unbeaten til the day he dies. Could feasibly get to 80-90 goals given he's on 58 today. That might give him more pride than anything he does at club level

Has he told you that? If not, how do you know?

If I were him then having a few Ligue 1 medals wouldnt make the slightest different to how I feel my career went

Based on where things stand today and with the years left which he has, his England top scorers record might remain unbeaten til the day he dies. Could feasibly get to 80-90 goals given he's on 58 today. That might give him more pride than anything he does at club level
Kane has said playing for England is his greatest honour
But he also has said that he wants medals, just with some subtlety
Winning them in Germany, France or anywhere doesn’t really matter IMO
Germany or France are one horse leagues and the prem isn’t far behind
He will take the kudos that winning Adela brings regardless of “league status”

Kane has said playing for England is his greatest honour
But he also has said that he wants medals, just with some subtlety
Winning them in Germany, France or anywhere doesn’t really matter IMO
Germany or France are one horse leagues and the prem isn’t far behind
He will take the kudos that winning Adela brings regardless of “league status”

I recall him responding to leading questions about medals yes (I think in that gary Neville interview). If someone asks you whether you want to finish your career with medals, the response is obvious

Should be looking at GPTFG ratio really, in the old days there were 8 extra games right.

2 points for a win though, so away teams tended to play for the draw. There was also much more of a level playing field, so more competitive games throughout the season.

2 points for a win though, so away teams tended to play for the draw. There was also much more of a level playing field, so more competitive games throughout the season.

But games were higher scoring.

Very difficult/impossible to compare the eras

Yea I noticed Cottee a year or so ago when these stats came up, his name seems to jump out from the page. I guess he was playing top flight for about 20 years though.

Had a look. 20 top flight seasons but in four of them, he played less than 10 games (in three of them, he played less than 5). He played 547 games and Harry's played 320. So Harry's gpg is a goal every 1.5 games and Cottee is a goal every 2.55. In fairness, Harry's record in those terms is significantly better. For the record, Shearer's is a goal every 1.97 games. So Harry's record is significantly better than Shearer too...

But games were higher scoring.

Very difficult/impossible to compare the eras

But you've either got to do all or nothing. It's like saying world cups wins in the 30s and 40s shouldn't count because only about 20 countries were professional. You can't have an artificial cut off related purely to sponsorship

I recall him responding to leading questions about medals yes (I think in that gary Neville interview). If someone asks you whether you want to finish your career with medals, the response is obvious
Yep
And I don’t think he cares where he wins them
It’s a moot point as PSG aren’t in for Kane
It’s Bayern and they need to cough up asap

But you've either got to do all or nothing. It's like saying world cups wins in the 30s and 40s shouldn't count because only about 20 countries were professional. You can't have an artificial cut off related purely to sponsorship

In my view, it'd be like trying to discount Usain Bolt's 100m record because training methods or sports science wasn't as good back in the 1920's or 1930's. Or rubbishing today's golfing course records because Old Tom Morris or Bobby Jones used inferior equipment.

As you say, all or nothing that shouldn't hinge on a name change in my opinion.

But you've either got to do all or nothing

You can't compare them. Its not about 'all or nothing'. How do you normalise for games being higher scoring? Or the added demands on players today from more games in Europe etc? Or substitutes being possible nowadays?

Aside from total goals and goals per game, I dont think you can compare

You can't compare them. Its not about 'all or nothing'. How do you normalise for games being higher scoring? Or the added demands on players today from more games in Europe etc? Or substitutes being possible nowadays?

You compare on goals scored in the top flight of the league.

Players have longer careers now. It is not saying 1 player is better than another. It is simply who has the most and that is greaves.

Regardless of the detail and comparison debates, one thing is for sure: those that top these tables in their respective eras are the very very best.

That is incontestable. Whilst many average players hold league and cup medals.

Regardless of the detail and comparison debates, one thing is for sure: those that top these tables in their respective eras are the very very best.

That is incontestable. Whilst many average players hold league and cup medals.

How many top players can you think of who will be remembered for decades never won a league title or Champions League? Or even a domestic cup.

Last edited:
Back