• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

“The four of us decided to come for the love for the shirt, even though all the Premier [League] did not want to come, we decided to come anyway. After winning the Copa América, the whole team wants to be with the group, not just give the national team a victory. It’s something beautiful that we have and we assume the consequences.”

Some people have pride for playing for their country.

Maybe Spurs should stop signing South Koreans who have to do national service and African as well as South Americans then you would have nothing to whinge about

The Athletic has a nice piece from Jack Pitt-Brooke about the Argentina team's commitment to getting Messi to what is probably his final World Cup. And winning it. After helping him win his first major international trophy at the Copa America, they're as committed to cementing his legacy as they are to winning for their country.

I'm good with that. I have a soft spot for Argentina, at least as far as S.American nations go. They play football the same way Canadians play ice hockey. Or S'th Efrickins play rugby.

Pedal to the metal, balls to the wall. Wind in the sails, lead in the pencil.

My only irritation with the African nations is why do they need to have it every 2 years?

Jurgen, it is all down to African countries have been shat upon by FIFA which was dominated by European countries.

Up until 1978 the continent of Africa still had only 1 representative to the WC. African countries then had to fill the void by playing the Nations Cup every two years. Playing it every 2 years is a tradition, and we do not intend to drop it just because it irritates Europeans after they shafted us for years with regards to WC places.

Jurgen, if clubs do not like it they should not buy African players. It is not like clubs are not aware that the tournament exists.

Great, I don’t think anyone has really said they shouldn’t.

What they have said is at the moment it isn’t a great idea to go and now we are screwed.

Sounds good to me, the last few argies haven’t done much have they.

The difference with Son/Korea was all parties worked together to find a solution

whinging for wanting the best for Spurs?

You sign Romero who has just won the Copa America, and is his country's best defender and you expected him mot to want to represent his country what a joke.

Don't you realise that the more successful players are at international level the more patriotic and willing they are to play for their country?

Last edited:
Martinez spoke out about the situation and said that he felt the Argentinean internationals cared too much to turn down the call:

“The four of us decided to come for the love for the shirt, even though all the Premier [League] did not want to come, we decided to come anyway. After winning the Copa América, the whole team wants to be with the group, not just give the national team a victory. It’s something beautiful that we have and we assume the consequences.”

Some people have pride for playing for their country.

Maybe Spurs should stop signing South Koreans who have to do national service and African as well as South Americans then you would have nothing to whinge about
You keep ignoring the fact that there is a global pandemic at the moment.
I don't have a problem with players wanting to play for their country but at this time it's really messing with Spurs's season.

I don't have a problem with players wanting to play for their country but at this time it's really messing with Spurs's season.

You mean the same pandemic in which the Euros were held? I am not ignoring anything, but your problem should be with FIFA who set the rules and not the players.

You ignore the fact that Spurs bought a player during the pandemic who was always going to represent his country

This isn't on Lo Celso. It isn't on Romero. It isn't on Buendia, or Martinez.

This is on the AFA and their arrogance and farcical planning. That's the approach I'd like to see the club adopt - it's always better to have the players onside, and it really isn't their fault they're caught up in all this.

Let's be honest, Romero and Lo Celso had probably never heard of us outside of Ardiles and Villa, if that. But they've probably grown up dreaming of pulling on that Argentina jersey - and asking them to choose between that and Spurs will always be a losing proposition for us, even if we do pay their wages. And, tbf, it's what the AFA is counting on - that the clubs force the players to choose between them and us. They're relying on the players' patriotism in a frankly very cowardly way.

The club's approach should be to work with the wider PL to put pressure on CBF, the AFA and the other associations - they're the ones that need to be balancing club needs with their own national team needs. At its core, the arrogance of the AFA in disregarding the wishes of the clubs involved is the issue, and that's where we should be focusing, imo.

This isn't on Lo Celso. It isn't on Romero. It isn't on Buendia, or Martinez.

This is on the AFA and their arrogance and farcical planning. That's the approach I'd like to see the club adopt - it's always better to have the players onside, and it really isn't their fault they're caught up in all this.

Let's be honest, Romero and Lo Celso had probably never heard of us outside of Ardiles and Villa, if that. But they've probably grown up dreaming of pulling on that Argentina jersey - and asking them to choose between that and Spurs will always be a losing proposition for us, even if we do pay their wages. And, tbf, it's what the AFA is counting on - that the clubs force the players to choose between them and us. They're relying on the players' patriotism in a frankly very cowardly way.

The club's approach should be to work with the wider PL to put pressure on CBF, the AFA and the other associations - they're the ones that need to be balancing club needs with their own national team needs. At its core, the arrogance of the AFA in disregarding the wishes of the clubs involved is the issue, and that's where we should be focusing, imo.
Not only the AFA, also FIFA and perhaps the Brazilians (going by recent reports).

We agree fully on this not being on the players.

I don't think anyone is ignoring the pandemic. Unless we have covid deniers on here how could anyone ignore the pandemic in general. Or ignore it in this specific example when the players involved are in Croatia to even be able to train instead of being stuck inside a hotel room.

The question is should the players give up on their wish for international football because of the pandemic and the consequences for us as a club. It changes the equation somewhat of course, but asking them to sit out these games is a massive ask even if there's a pandemic. I think efforts should be made to see things from their perspective even though there are real consequences for us as a club.

You sign Romero who has just won the Copa America, and is his country's best defender and you expected him mot to want to represent his country what a joke.

Don't you realise that the more successful players are at international level the more patriotic and willing they are to play for their country?

You are completely missing the point .

Footballers should be able to play international football

but they should also have a responsibility to the club - it’s turns out neither has happened

You are completely missing the point .

Footballers should be able to play international football

but they should also have a responsibility to the club - it’s turns out neither has happened

No, you are completely missing the point, the players have followed the guidelines as laid down by FIFA, football's governing body. They have done nothing wrong so deserve no fine.

Last edited:
No, you are completely missing the point, the players have followed the guidelines as laid down by FIFA, football's governing body. They have done nothing wrong to and deserve no fine.

The players didn't report back to the club after the international break (at least they won't till they've finished quarantine). Breaching their contracts so can be fined.

The players didn't report back to the club after the international break (at least they won't till they've finished quarantine). Breaching their contracts so can be fined.

Son had to quarantine when he came back from South Korea, was that a breach of contract as well? What utter poppy rooster. I challenge you to provide proof that a Tottenham player spending time in quarantine is a breach of contract. I love how you just pulled a statement out of your backside and now that constitutes a breach of contract. :D

Son had to quarantine when he came back from South Korea, was that a breach of contract as well? What utter poppy rooster. I challenge you to provide proof that a Tottenham player spending time in quarantine is a breach of contract. I love how you just pulled a statement out of your backside and now that constitutes a breach of contract. :D

Someone posted a copy of a chelseas players contract (a couple of pages back), where it states the player has to report back after the international break. It would be the same for most players.

We are fining lo celso and romero. Unless you think it is for something else?

Someone posted a copy of a chelseas players contract (a couple of pages back), where it states the player has to report back after the international break. It would be the same for most players.

We are fining lo celso and romero. Unless you think it is for something else?

To fine them is one thing, if the players are bullied into paying that fine, we'll that is another matter entirely. The fact is if that contract is in conflict with the law of the land then Spurs have no chance of enforcement.

Meanwhile, the Brazilian players who did not go away on international duty have now been prevented from playing this weekend by FIFA

To fine them is one thing, if the players are bullied into paying that fine, we'll that is another matter entirely. The fact is if that contract is in conflict with the law of the land then Spurs have no chance of enforcement.

How is it in conflict with the law of the land?

We are just not paying their wages as they are not available to play for us. It is a players responsibility to report back from international duty on time. If they miss a flight, go partying with their mates, or are stuck in quarantine makes no difference. They're unavailable so don't get paid. The only exception is injuries as we have deals in place to cover that, possibly insurance aswell.

The premier clubs will probably take it to the court of arbitration for sport. Let them make a decision. Could be massive.
Rules were set before
Not new
So I’d be of the view you knew what could happen before you made the decision. Punishment should stand

Back