• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

This proves that there is far to much money about. I mean who is he? i have never heard of him yet he is worth £29m?

You say we have bought players we don't actually need but are defending was comical last year and we have brought in 2 defenders
Defence is not just about the back 4. I believe our problem is actually the lack of a defence minded midfielder to close the space between the midfield and defence. That alongside our fullbacks bombing forward and our midfield failing to track back left our centrebacks exposed last season. Trippier by all accounts will not solve this problem as he is an offensive minded fullback. I get that trippier is a good signing for that price and we need cover for Walker. But if we were in need of another right back why did we sell Kyle Naughton who imo was starting to fulfil some of the potential we thought he has when we bought him. Oh and buy yedlin? It does seem our transfer policy is a tad shambolic again. We have 2 major areas of weakness I won't feel relaxed until these are addressed. Which means probably at the end of the transfer window.

Last edited:
This lad could be anything for Liverpool, good and bad. They signed Markevic last season and he has looked very poor for the money but then Liverpool like us seem to struggle with big money buys

Rodgers is possibly the only person in the game worse than Benitez at signing players. He might be a decent coach, but he's got a tin ear for recruitment

Rodgers is possibly the only person in the game worse than Benitez at signing players. He might be a decent coach, but he's got a tin ear for recruitment
Granted he has signed some absolute dross but he also has signed sturridge, coutinho and lallana will be a good signing long term. He has also signed Milner and Ings 2 players, at different times have been on our radar. I have to add that some of our own transfer activity could hardly be considered a resounding success.

Last edited:

Its not down to Rodgers though is it.They have a committee, like we do. Id say both Liverpool and Spurs have made plenty of questionable buys

What I do find weird though is that it looks like they are doing the same thing they did last year. Didn't they learn that changing half the team in a summer causes a whole lot of problems on the pitch?

Did somebody above mention that they are buying in places that they need?

Ok let's look at the strikers they have on their roster BEFORE this summer:

- Sturridge
- Balotelli
- Lambert
- Borini
- Aspas
- Origi

Yep, they're definitely buying in positions that they need :p

- Sturridge
- Balotelli
- Lambert
- Borini
- Aspas
- Origi

Hes not primarily a striker though is he. He's better playing behind a striker, and is likely a replacement for Sterling...

Its not down to Rodgers though is it.They have a committee, like we do. Id say both Liverpool and Spurs have made plenty of questionable buys

Wasn't there quite a bit of writing about him getting more of the power in the transfer market at Liverpool?

There being a committee means it's not all his fault, doesn't mean it's not at least partly his fault.

- Sturridge
- Balotelli
- Lambert
- Borini
- Aspas
- Origi

That's a bit like saying we don't need a new central midfielder like Schneiderlin because we already have Capoue, Paulinho, Stambouli, Dembele, Bentaleb and Mason...

Wasn't there quite a bit of writing about him getting more of the power in the transfer market at Liverpool?

There being a committee means it's not all his fault, doesn't mean it's not at least partly his fault.

That's a bit like saying we don't need a new central midfielder like Schneiderlin because we already have Capoue, Paulinho, Stambouli, Dembele, Bentaleb and Mason...

My point is they keep buying so many strikers and unless you are going to play with say a front 4 most weeks they are going to have a lot of them warming their bench at any given time. Plus, i'm not sure what it says for Rodgers ability to actually buy the right type of striker he needs. So far out of the several that HE has bought only one (Sturridge) would be considered a success.
Plus you need more midfielders anyway in a team :p

Oh i see. Shades of us two years ago..can't Lallana play there? Or Coutinho? Or Markovic?
I'm all for options but they really are "Doing a Spurs" now lol
To me it looks like they are trying really hard to "outdo" us. They did a Spurs last year, now they are just going way overboard.

But who knows, it might work out for them, but I believe that you need to have some sort of stability in your team over time to get results. Changing 5/6 players from the starting line up again this year will just make more of a mess imo.

To me it looks like they are trying really hard to "outdo" us. They did a Spurs last year, now they are just going way overboard.

But who knows, it might work out for them, but I believe that you need to have some sort of stability in your team over time to get results. Changing 5/6 players from the starting line up again this year will just make more of a mess imo.

Agreed

You say we have bought players we don't actually need but are defending was comical last year and we have brought in 2 defenders
Exactly! We're clearly getting rid of Kaboul (and likely Chiriches) this summer. We don't know the extent of Walker's injury yet, so even if Yedlin is ready to be a back-up in the right-back position, it makes a great deal of sense to bring in someone who can challenge Walker.

Consequently we have brought in a new CB and RB. And the transfer window has not even officially opened yet.

If people don't think a new CB and RB were a priority, then clearly they think it's fine to get rid of Chiriches and Kaboul (leaving Vertonghen, Dier and Fazio as our only senior CBs) without any replacement, while also expecting Dier to once again deputise in the RB position if Walker's injured. Madness. We can only thank our lucky stars the club doesn't share that view.

We clearly have several priorities this summer. It just so happens that our first two acquisitions are in defence (for an extremely good reason... the deal for Wimmer was clearly done several months ago; and Trippier's low release clause meant we needed to get in there before someone else snapped him up). That doesn't mean we're going to ignore the rest of the team for the entire summer. To repeat... the window hasn't even opened yet.

My point is they keep buying so many strikers and unless you are going to play with say a front 4 most weeks they are going to have a lot of them warming their bench at any given time. Plus, i'm not sure what it says for Rodgers ability to actually buy the right type of striker he needs. So far out of the several that HE has bought only one (Sturridge) would be considered a success.
Plus you need more midfielders anyway in a team :p

But much like we will look to sell some of those midfielders Liverpool will look to sell some of those forwards. We're arguably only happy with Bentaleb and Mason (add one or two of your choosing if you want) in central/deep midfield. They're arguably only happy with Sturridge up front.

You forget Couthinho, but yes their transfer record under him is far from impressive. And I would be worried if I was a new potential signing for them that I would be next in their line of "who gets the blame, head coach or committee, either way a failure" type signings.

But much like we will look to sell some of those midfielders Liverpool will look to sell some of those forwards. We're arguably only happy with Bentaleb and Mason (add one or two of your choosing if you want) in central/deep midfield. They're arguably only happy with Sturridge up front.

Perhaps, but difference being our mid fielders were bought under previous coaches. ALL those strikers that were listed were bought under Rodgers. Not sure how much of that can be blamed on the committee. He pushed the boat out to spend big on a relatively unknown Borini for instance.

You forget Couthinho, but yes their transfer record under him is far from impressive. And I would be worried if I was a new potential signing for them that I would be next in their line of "who gets the blame, head coach or committee, either way a failure" type signings.

Indeed.

Perhaps, but difference being our mid fielders were bought under previous coaches. ALL those strikers that were listed were bought under Rodgers. Not sure how much of that can be blamed on the committee. He pushed the boat out to spend big on a relatively unknown Borini for instance.

Indeed.

Sure. But regardless of if they've been signed under previous management or not both clubs are in a situation where despite having plenty of players there's a shortage of quality in those positions. I don't think Rodgers can be blamed for trying to rectify the previous mistakes by signing new players. If those new players also fail he can surely be blamed though.

Back