• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

You're right it is more complicated than that. It could be that we have £30m for signings and need to strengthen 2-3 positions. In securing any one of those players, you need to think about how that will affect the budget on the remaining two. That is why the transfer window is so complicated and takes time to really settle down, because it is a chain.

Insofar as it is like someone trying to make the money for the weekly shop go farther, that is exactly what we are doing. We will have a budget that is for not just one player but for a bunch of positions. Whether that means we get the star striker plus above average other players, or star defender or any other combination is down to securing our targets. This is precisely one of those reasons why transfers will take longer. Add to that a stadium to fund, and is it any wonder that Levy is really making every pound work harder?

WBA have not rejected a bid afaik. WBA have not come out and said we have made a derisory bid, yet this is what people are choosing to believe i.e. that it is penny pinching that is delaying the deal to sign Berahino. I'm saying it is not and could be any one of a number of other options because it is so much more complicated than that. No one will know who is right apart from those in the club themselves, but I'm just putting my opinion across and disagreeing with those that say that it is penny pinching.

Mate I respect your opinion but I think you are not seeing the context of the current football climate with the crazy TV money. The sort of players which Spurs have been buying over the last 10 years - berbatovs, modrics, carricks i.e those not in the top tier but the next level down, all the clubs around us are now also buying, the Rondons, Affelays, bojans, mitrovic or wijnaldums, m'villa and cabayes. We then have our competitors for top 4 like Liverpool and L'arse blowing us out of the water with their spending power. So where does that leave us? Finishing top 4 or 5 is nearly impossible given the spending power of the likes of Liverpool, and the top 4. Top 6 in the face of this kind of competition from the other clubs is also not a foregone conclusion. So we wait until a new stadium is built - well by then we could be ensconced in mid table. Not possible? Rewind to the Spurs of the 90s to see what we could go back to. So from time to time we need to stick our necks out and bring in that special player to keep us above the stokes, newcastles, southamptons ( fook me how close did Southampton get to us last season) and keep us in that top 6 position. Just my opinion of course.[/QUOTE]

Another good post. Stoke are getting too close to us for my liking. Why did we not at least enquire about Affelay or Shaqiri?

Mate I respect your opinion but I think you are not seeing the context of the current football climate with the crazy TV money. The sort of players which Spurs have been buying over the last 10 years - berbatovs, modrics, carricks i.e those not in the top tier but the next level down, all the clubs around us are now also buying, the Rondons, Affelays, bojans, mitrovic or wijnaldums, m'villa and cabayes. We then have our competitors for top 4 like Liverpool and L'arse blowing us out of the water with their spending power. So where does that leave us? Finishing top 4 or 5 is nearly impossible given the spending power of the likes of Liverpool, and the top 4. Top 6 in the face of this kind of competition from the other clubs is also not a foregone conclusion. So we wait until a new stadium is built - well by then we could be ensconced in mid table. Not possible? Rewind to the Spurs of the 90s to see what we could go back to. So from time to time we need to stick our necks out and bring in that special player to keep us above the stokes, newcastles, southamptons ( fook me how close did Southampton get to us last season) and keep us in that top 6 position. Just my opinion of course.

Likewise buddy. I am taking that into account, believe me. When I see the accounts of Spurs, forgetting accounting treatment for the moment, I see that any cash we generate being ploughed back into the stadium. That's why we are not having net spends in the transfer market. The new PL deal is not in effect till next year, sSo we can't spend that money yet, as we haven't received it.

You are absolutely right, all clubs are adopting the same policy that we are, because it has proved successful. You are absolutely right as well in your assertion that finishing top 4-5 is going to be very difficult, because those other clubs are outspending us. They generate far more revenue than we do on account of rich benefactors, bigger stadiums, better commercial deals and the rest. We have the sixth biggest turnover in the EPL. We have also in the last 5 years spent a shed load of cash on training complex and the stadium project. Not many of the others around us are doing that. If we could have just extended WHL instead of having to build a completely new stadium, we would probably find that we would have far more money to spend in the transfer market.

We are in arguably our most successful period in the league with us being top 6 for the past 5 seasons? We've done that despite us not spending huge amounts net spend in the market. We can and will probably continue to perform at this level. I don't see us going back to the 90s performance levels.

I have said this before, but I rewind to the period when we made those signings post Bale transfer. Everyone was excited because we were spending money and we were getting what was felt at the time high quality signings. It didn't work out as we would have liked but we still finished respectably in the league.

If people think that we are in the market to buy top 4 quality signings, then people are going to be disappointed. The only chance we will have at those high quality players is if the other bigger clubs than us are not interested. Liverpool pay 1.5 times the amount of wages we do. Why would a player choose to come to us for £50k a week when they can get £75k a week at Liverpool or more at the top 4. Only if those clubs are not interested in them. The player will then (if money is their raison d'etre which it is in most circumstances) give themselves every opportunity to play for one of them i.e. not commit to Spurs. Not all players think this way i.e. Alderweireld, Berbatov, Modric etc.... But for every one of these, there is a Rodwell, Depay, Ings etc... that will even if it means less playing time for them. Then, as we will not be spending most on transfer fees, clubs that own the players that we want will give themselves every opportunity to make more money by holding out. Not all, but in the main they will. That's what we are finding.

The approach that our club is taking is the sensible one. It is a business to them, and they will know that there is a school of thought that says "speculate to accumulate". However, this is very risky! Not one club has done this without HUGE sums of money being spent i.e. Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea. It is safer for them and for a sustainable business, for this approach to be taken and I think this is the best way as well. Until we can get a stadium that will allow us to benefit from naming rights, higher attendances, larger corporate revenues, NFL revenues etc.... we will not be able to financially compete.

We still have 20 odd days left of the transfer window. We have said we are in the market. I am confident that we will sign some players. I am also confident in our transfer record that those players will be good. I can't guarantee it, but probabilities work. I'm not going to panic now and start criticising the club for the way that it is run because I can see the rationale for what they are doing.

I've seen one compilation video and I'm sold lol. I actually think that with his size and skillset, he'd be the better option as he could offer the physical option in Kane's absence that Berahino probably couldn't. He's got very good feet too, so playing as the wide forward he'd be at home. Plus he's reportedly available for £10 million, which is probably half what WBA want for Berahino.
I'd go for both. That should take care of our forward/wide forward needs for the next 7-8 years.

Because Shaqiri is awful, he can't even get in the Inter squad and it's the poorest it's been in years. If you don't rate Townsend then this guy is an even worse version of him.

Affelay is a decent player but has been injured for the majority of 3 out of the last 4 seasons and at aged 29 isn't worth it.

Mate I respect your opinion but I think you are not seeing the context of the current football climate with the crazy TV money. The sort of players which Spurs have been buying over the last 10 years - berbatovs, modrics, carricks i.e those not in the top tier but the next level down, all the clubs around us are now also buying, the Rondons, Affelays, bojans, mitrovic or wijnaldums, m'villa and cabayes. We then have our competitors for top 4 like Liverpool and L'arse blowing us out of the water with their spending power. So where does that leave us? Finishing top 4 or 5 is nearly impossible given the spending power of the likes of Liverpool, and the top 4. Top 6 in the face of this kind of competition from the other clubs is also not a foregone conclusion. So we wait until a new stadium is built - well by then we could be ensconced in mid table. Not possible? Rewind to the Spurs of the 90s to see what we could go back to. So from time to time we need to stick our necks out and bring in that special player to keep us above the stokes, newcastles, southamptons ( fook me how close did Southampton get to us last season) and keep us in that top 6 position. Just my opinion of course.

I don't agree with this at all. Liverpool and Manchester United have just chucked money around but still have massive holes in their squads, there has been a real lack of strategy about their business these last few years. Spending money also brings pressure and if either club stumble this season, their managers will be under massive pressure.

I also think that it is too early to judge the clubs bellow us' transfer activity. Some of them on the face of it seem to have done well but it never works out like that and there will inevitably be flops amongst the players you mention.

What we have that the clubs immediately above and below us do not have is stability. We have a strong, young squad which should be improving as it gains experience. We have held onto all of our key players and our manager. We have already strengthened our defence considerably and with a couple of the right kind of additions, we will be in a very strong position.

Because Shaqiri is awful, he can't even get in the Inter squad and it's the poorest it's been in years. If you don't rate Townsend then this guy is an even worse version of him.

Affelay is a decent player but has been injured for the majority of 3 out of the last 4 seasons and at aged 29 isn't worth it.

Exactly!!

I don't agree with this at all. Liverpool and Manchester United have just chucked money around but still have massive holes in their squads, there has been a real lack of strategy about their business these last few years. Spending money also brings pressure and if either club stumble this season, their managers will be under massive pressure.

I also think that it is too early to judge the clubs bellow us' transfer activity. Some of them on the face of it seem to have done well but it never works out like that and there will inevitably be flops amongst the players you mention.

What we have that the clubs immediately above and below us do not have is stability. We have a strong, young squad which should be improving as it gains experience. We have held onto all of our key players and our manager. We have already strengthened our defence considerably and with a couple of the right kind of additions, we will be in a very strong position.

United have ben forced to spend big because Fergie had them overachieving for so many years that the deficiencies were not truly noticed until he left. Schneiderlin is a very good signing, ditto Schweinsteiger, if Arsenal had signed him then the media would be creaming themselves about what a shrewd signing he was.

United have ben forced to spend big because Fergie had them overachieving for so many years that the deficiencies were not truly noticed until he left. Schneiderlin is a very good signing, ditto Schweinsteiger, if Ar5ena1 had signed him then the media would be creaming themselves about what a shrewd signing he was.
I should have course be very wrong, but I'm a bit torn about Schweinsteiger. Will he cope with the pace of the PL? I have my doubts.

At the risk of stating the obvious; people tend to talk about things in the way that suits their argument, when it suits their argument.

OK let's forget the accounting for this.

Yes, we sold Paulinho, Capoue and Chiriches for less than we bought them for which is what Jurgen was getting at. Let's take each of those in turn.

1. Paulinho was not the "cheap option" so should be discounted from the argument about us going for the cheap option. He was/is a brazilian international that other clubs were interested in. He scored a fair few goals for us too but offered little else;

2. Capoue - We bought him under AVB. for £9m. Allegedly we have sold him for £7m (transfer fee was undisclosed). We made a £2m loss. Was he a cheap option? Perhaps as we apparently wanted Moutinho. This cheap option was a French international, and at the time of signing there were plenty on here who were excited. You win some and you lose some, but in that "speculation" and following the "cheap option" we lost £2m over 3 years. Moutinho went for €25m that same summer to Monaco. We cannot compete with that! Now people will say, we should have got him in the season before. Now why didn't we sign him? People will say penny pinching etc..... Porto, the club that he was at are no pushovers when it comes to transfers. They have only ever sold for top dollar. We eventually did agree to a deal but it was too late in the day. Some will say that is our fault, others will say it was Porto. There was no guarantee that Moutinho would have worked, but that would have been an even more expensive mistake than Capoue!

3. Chiriches - We bought him for €9.5m and sold him for €5m. He was chased by Chelsea no less, but didn't work out. He was only ever bought as a squad player, someone to replace Caulker. It didn't work out, but Caulker has hardly set the world alight so who's to say what he would be worth nowadays.

So, yes we have sold 3 players at a loss. Two of them could possibly have been construed as the "cheap" option. One of them was for a potentially starting spot in the team (although I doubt that given we had Sandro at the time). Hardly a missed opportunity.

We have plenty of examples where we have spent top dollar on people and failed. Bentley, Soldado, Lamela (although could argue jury is still out), Paulinho etc.... The irony is that if we hadn't made those mistakes, and made them now on whoever, people would be over the moon like they were when we signed the now infamous 7. But let's look at those infamous 7. How much is Eriksen worth? Transfermarkt values him at £19m. Not a bad profit on £11m. How much is Chadli worth? £9m compared to a cost of £7m that we paid. Those are fairly conservative valuations.

The owners are not asset stripping and ploughing back the cash that it generates (and therefore profit) into the club. Some people think it should be in the form of transfers in the hope that it will take us into the top 4. Others, and the club owners, believe it is better to reinvest that in infrastructure that will generate higher revenue that will then allow us to compete, whilst still spending enough in the transfer market to keep us competitive. So far they have done quite well at that, and I have no reasons to doubt that this will not continue. That's why I think the criticism is unwarranted, but that is just my perspective.

United have ben forced to spend big because Fergie had them overachieving for so many years that the deficiencies were not truly noticed until he left. Schneiderlin is a very good signing, ditto Schweinsteiger, if Ar5ena1 had signed him then the media would be creaming themselves about what a shrewd signing he was.

And let's not forget they have also gone into the season with one recognised striker (rooney). Chicharito is as ostracised as Soldado.

And let's not forget they have also gone into the season with one recognised striker (rooney). Chicharito is as ostracised as Soldado.

They've still got holes to fill, just shows how big the rebuilding job was and how great Fergie was for keeping them at the top for so long. They haven't solved every need, but they've don very well in this window so far.

We will have to agree to disagree. Liverpool and utd have bought well , quality signings some of whom were after but were beyond us. You may be right about the signings the other clubs made but let's be honest these are quality signings and club's improve by signing better players it's how we improved after signing mainly dross in the 90s. Not sure about the "stability" argument. Southampton were pretty close to us last season. Stoke doubled us and have strengthened. We are one serious injury from a striker crisis and we are playing a young inexperienced centre back in midfield.

They've still got holes to fill, just shows how big the rebuilding job was and how great Fergie was for keeping them at the top for so long. They haven't solved every need, but they've don very well in this window so far.

And we have holes to fill, and I think just goes to show how big the rebuilding job after AVB and those 7 signings Poch has on his hands. ;)

In all seriousness, let's just keep it to Spurs as we're not in the same league as Man United. Their turnover is more than twice ours.

Emirates Marketing Project hope Kevin De Bruyne will push for a move by making clear to Wolfsburg his desire to join Manuel Pellegrini’s squad.

The summer-long pursuit of the forward has now entered the last three weeks of the window. City are keen to try to seal the transfer as soon as possible with Chelsea at the Etihad Stadium the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

City have lodged a second bid worth £47m that if accepted would make the forward their fifth addition of the summer. The offer is an initial £40m plus £7m of add-ons for the 24-year-old attacking midfielder. City had originally offered £35m.

Klaus Allofs, the Wolfsburg sporting director, continues to state the club will fight to keep the Belgian. “I think some other clubs have definitely turned Kevin’s head,” Allofs told Kicker magazine. “Some huge figures are doing the rounds and I can understand why Kevin is leaving everything open.

“He’s got to listen to the offers. I can’t expect from him that he doesn’t want to entertain them. If he was only contracted to us until 2017, then yes, it would be different. But let’s be honest about it – it’s highly unlikely that he’ll stay with us right up until 2019.”

Wolfsburg are refusing to put a precise valuation on De Bruyne and may try and get a fee closer to £50m, though it is understood City’s new offer is close to being acceptable.

Given the impasse the hope is that De Bruyne will signal his intent to leave. The former Chelsea player has found the decision a difficult one as he has affection for Wolfsburg. However he has become minded to go and may try to ensure the transfer goes through.

When contacted the De Bruyne camp refused to deny that City had made the offer for him. While it is thought the club had a first bid of £35m turned down a fewdays ago , if the £47m offer is accepted by Wolfsburg it would take City’s total spend to £117m in the current window.

The acquisition of De Bruyne would end City’s activity in the market unless an exceptional player became available.

www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/10/manchester-city-kevin-de-bruyne-wolfsburg

OK let's forget the accounting for this.

Yes, we sold Paulinho, Capoue and Chiriches for less than we bought them for which is what Jurgen was getting at. Let's take each of those in turn.

1. Paulinho was not the "cheap option" so should be discounted from the argument about us going for the cheap option. He was/is a brazilian international that other clubs were interested in. He scored a fair few goals for us too but offered little else;

2. Capoue - We bought him under AVB. for £9m. Allegedly we have sold him for £7m (transfer fee was undisclosed). We made a £2m loss. Was he a cheap option? Perhaps as we apparently wanted Moutinho. This cheap option was a French international, and at the time of signing there were plenty on here who were excited. You win some and you lose some, but in that "speculation" and following the "cheap option" we lost £2m over 3 years. Moutinho went for €25m that same summer to Monaco. We cannot compete with that! Now people will say, we should have got him in the season before. Now why didn't we sign him? People will say penny pinching etc..... Porto, the club that he was at are no pushovers when it comes to transfers. They have only ever sold for top dollar. We eventually did agree to a deal but it was too late in the day. Some will say that is our fault, others will say it was Porto. There was no guarantee that Moutinho would have worked, but that would have been an even more expensive mistake than Capoue!

3. Chiriches - We bought him for €9.5m and sold him for €5m. He was chased by Chel53a no less, but didn't work out. He was only ever bought as a squad player, someone to replace Caulker. It didn't work out, but Caulker has hardly set the world alight so who's to say what he would be worth nowadays.

So, yes we have sold 3 players at a loss. Two of them could possibly have been construed as the "cheap" option. One of them was for a potentially starting spot in the team (although I doubt that given we had Sandro at the time). Hardly a missed opportunity.

We have plenty of examples where we have spent top dollar on people and failed. Bentley, Soldado, Lamela (although could argue jury is still out), Paulinho etc.... The irony is that if we hadn't made those mistakes, and made them now on whoever, people would be over the moon like they were when we signed the now infamous 7. But let's look at those infamous 7. How much is Eriksen worth? Transfermarkt values him at £19m. Not a bad profit on £11m. How much is Chadli worth? £9m compared to a cost of £7m that we paid. Those are fairly conservative valuations.

The owners are not asset stripping and ploughing back the cash that it generates (and therefore profit) into the club. Some people think it should be in the form of transfers in the hope that it will take us into the top 4. Others, and the club owners, believe it is better to reinvest that in infrastructure that will generate higher revenue that will then allow us to compete, whilst still spending enough in the transfer market to keep us competitive. So far they have done quite well at that, and I have no reasons to doubt that this will not continue. That's why I think the criticism is unwarranted, but that is just my perspective.
Good post mate but I disagree with your final paragraph. Success on the football pitch defines all the infrastructure projects enic want to put in place. They must not lose sight of this and neglect investment in the playing side. There are numerous clubs with relatively new stadia who find themselves languishing in the lower leagues. Arsenal is the model we look to but they were highly successful before they built their stadium and have built on this success. Anyway I hope we sign Berahino. That's where this discussion started for me!

Last edited:
Back