• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Re: Daniel Levy isn't stupid...

If we'd lost today, Levy would have been lamenting letting Redknapp go! At times it looked like we'd regressed to pre HR days. Thank fuk we turned it around, or this place would have been in melt down calling for Levy, Poch, Ade to be lynched.

If Levy can be criticised it is for appointing the wrong managers. Generally he seems to favour younger types - maybe trying to find the next Wenger.

I think Poch needs a lot more time. But if he chooses players, based on training or his professional opinion, and fans don't agree, the knives come out in no time. Now Poch has no choice but to start Kane, or else he will be vilified. Some of the responsibility lies with fans who don't let the Spurs manager get on with his job.

Our options with managers are the same as with players. Young and might be the next big thing or old and on the way down.

i was as big a AVB man as there was on the board during his time, but taking everything in to account it certainly looks like he brought about his own demise

he certainly contributed to it, but I'm not sure the board kept all the promises they gave him when they hired him, and I think they undermined him

he certainly contributed to it, but I'm not sure the board kept all the promises they gave him when they hired him, and I think they undermined him

Most credible accounts have it the other way around. We were upfront about our transfer policy but he wanted established players once appointed and threw his toy out of his pram when he couldn't get them.

a lot of things are, do we have quotes?

I am not aware of any for the falling out with Freund but the dispute with the medical team over Lloris' head injury was public.

Ultimately, it is a balance of probability but the fact that journalists who were very close to AVB agree that both of these happened suggest to me that they probably did.

Our options with managers are the same as with players. Young and might be the next big thing or old and on the way down.

Well, had Moyes stayed on, we'd have had Van Gal in charge. At the time I thought we needed an older manager with so many unsettled players and no solid team foundation. But then Manu have not done any better than us and have signed some massive players. So I am happy we got Poch. I hope he can block out all the pressure and just make HIS decisions.

Good CEOs don't care too much what people think. Same with managers. They have to have good judgement and stick to what they believe (AVB was woeful in that regard and lost his way when when the goals dried up). Screw the chairmen and the thousands of fan-wannbe-managers. Pochettino has to take complete charge, and have complete belief in his judgement.

Most credible accounts have it the other way around. We were upfront about our transfer policy but he wanted established players once appointed and threw his toy out of his pram when he couldn't get them.

this is what I'm not sure about, we signed established players under Harry, and we signed them under AVB, Paulinho and soldado for example, why were these seen as lesser risks than Moutinho, Hulk et al

we're going over old ground, it's been done to death, my wider point was a chairmans job isn't just hiring and firing, he is constantly involved and intrinsically linked with the performance of the manager, when a manager fails the board has failed as well

this is what I'm not sure about, we signed established players under Harry, and we signed them under AVB, Paulinho and soldado for example, why were these seen as lesser risks than Moutinho, Hulk et al

we're going over old ground, it's been done to death, my wider point was a chairmans job isn't just hiring and firing, he is constantly involved and intrinsically linked with the performance of the manager, when a manager fails the board has failed as well

We know that the issue with Moutinho was third party ownership first time around and oil money second. Hulk was massively over priced and we could not afford his wages.

We apparently went past our limit with regards to bids for both Moutinho and again for Schneiderlin this summer. That's backing the manager for me.

Imagine if we hadn't spent the bale money on players with top drawer reputations and instead brought in a few youngsters and a couple of old heads and spent about £20m????

I'm convinced their would have been people burning WHL down in protest

We had to buy when we did IMO to appease the fans for losing Bale. We brought in players who were arguably the best players in their respective leagues and if not then were at least that in their positions and all were full internationals

Where it's all gone wrong is that the majority haven't clicked on any level. Maybe that because of the quantity or the quality or just the pace of the league but it's what we do next with them that counts

I'd happily take a hit in Soldado (who I still rate) if we used the money to buy a Benteke or a Berahino. I personally wouldn't be happy if we brought an unproven foreigner again but after a few goals I could easily be convinced such is the fickle nature of fans

9 managers in 13 years is hardly a record to be proud of.

That's one way to spin it.

Another would be to say that George Graham was never Levy's man; that Santini walked of his own accord; and that Sherwood was only ever intended as a caretaker.

Which leaves Hoddle, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp and AVB as the full time managers that Levy has both appointed and sacked. Five managers sacked in thirteen and a half years doesn't sound anything like as bad and is, in fact, a lower turnover than at the majority of other clubs.

That's one way to spin it.

Another would be to say that George Graham was never Levy's man; that Santini walked of his own accord; and that Sherwood was only ever intended as a caretaker.

Which leaves Hoddle, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp and AVB as the full time managers that Levy has both appointed and sacked. Five managers sacked in thirteen and a half years doesn't sound anything like as bad and is, in fact, a lower turnover than at the majority of other clubs.

Well that's also another way to spin it.

Santini walked reportedly because he was unhappy that players were being signed without his approval/say.

How do you know Sherwood was intended as a caretaker? He would have got a shorter contract if that was the case. 18 months is not a long contract by any means but it doesn't suggest he was a caretaker. Perhaps he figured he sacks them within 18 months anyway so I might as well just make the contract that length :lol:

It's still 9 managers in 13 years no matter what circumstances they found themselves in. I would say only 2 of those have been a success, Jol and Redknapp. Harsh to level Graham at him, but that's still more than half that Levy deemed not good enough to continue.

Didn't Sherwood already have a contract with 18 months left to run?

Yup. Was reported at the time at least that he wouldn't accept a 6 month head coach contract when he had 18 months to go on his technical director contract. Can't remember if it was ITK or newspaper reports (or both).

Seems a fairly safe assumption that Sherwood was appointed as a caretaker considering he got rather good results and was still let go after half a season. If there's a continuum between caretaker and proper appointment he might fall somewhere in between the two end points of that, but his appointment wasn't wasn't at all similar to the 5 jimmy mention in his post (Hoddle, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp and AVB) or Poch to me at least. More similar to the appointment(s) of David Pleat the way I see it.

Back