• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

This is really funny. Your gripe is that we have flexibility on these signings? Instead of being able to defer payment, you'd prefer we paid out all the money upfront? That is your issue? Meaning we might get stuck with a player who hasn't performed, or worse not be able to sign the player at all, as we didn't have enough free capital. Instead, we got players in, and have options and flexibility. That is a bad thing as far as you are concerned? If you were running the club you wouldn't do this, you'd have no option with Danjuma, and maybe not signed Porro at all because we didn't have all the cash now.

:)

Yes, I would much, much prefer we signed players early, instead of waiting 31 days negotiating 50p off the cost and then hilariously screwing up by forgetting we could only loan out so much of our brick, losing that money anyway in mutual termination payouts + lost fees. Real 1000IQ move from us, that.

We spent 31 days sitting on our hands dropping points left, right and center to Villa, City and Arsenal - this after having a whole month and a half with no football beforehand to try to get things going. It's amateurish, and the behaviour of a club that hasn't learned anything about what it takes to pursue on-pitch success, not just balance the books.

Sign 'em early, get them in, and maybe we'd be in a better spot now. Defo worth the cost of paying Porro's release clause on day 1, especially since we had about 50m in liquidity lying around from the cash injection (Ali Gold's words, not mine).

Oh, for a Todd Boehly who understands the value of acting decisively. Coulda been us. Sigh.

Yes, I would much, much prefer we signed players early, instead of waiting 31 days negotiating 50p off the cost and then hilariously screwing up by forgetting we could only loan out so much of our brick, losing that money anyway in mutual termination payouts + lost fees. Real 1000IQ move from us, that.

We spent 31 days sitting on our hands dropping points left, right and center to Villa, City and Arsenal - this after having a whole month and a half with no football beforehand to try to get things going. It's amateurish, and the behaviour of a club that hasn't learned anything about what it takes to pursue on-pitch success, not just balance the books.

Sign 'em early, get them in, and maybe we'd be in a better spot now. Defo worth the cost of paying Porro's release clause on day 1, especially since we had about 50m in liquidity lying around from the cash injection (Ali Gold's words, not mine).

Oh, for a Todd Boehly who understands the value of acting decisively. Coulda been us. Sigh.
Under Boehly we would have even more wingers and still no centre backs judging by inability to address Chelsea’s weaknesses

Eh? Badiashile is a 50m center back, no?

Chelsea now have 5 CBs for 2 positions, including koulibaly, fofana, silva and chabolah. Two seniors and three promising successors. I think they are stacked pretty well there.
they didn't have pay that much for another CB imo, but they did. Big questions around potter's ability to get his team together quickly - there's been so many new additions.

Last edited:

Haha so you’d have paid in full for Danjuna, not giving us the option to try before we buy? Potentially paying more for him to get him in early. Okay.

You’d have also blown our free cash upfront on Porro tying our hands on future transfers? For example, not being able to sign Danjuma as well and cover the loan fees, and stopping us from being able to line up a CB before/early in summer. Reducing our ability to be agile and what we are able to spend in the summer, when most transfers take place. Smart.

Quick questions, you don’t have local ties to Spurs. How did you choose Spurs as your team? If you were to choose a team today and didn’t have any history with Spurs, who would you choose?

Last edited:
Err...our net spend was 5m quid.

'Solid net spend'?

I think we were the fourth-lowest net spenders across the 20 PL sides in January (iirc), so doesn't quite stack up.

We punted Porro's fee into the summer (when we will also have to pay for Kulu), and we only have an option to buy in Danjuma.

And we waited 31 days to do even that business. To me it looked like we just did what we always do - opportunistically looked for deals and then spent ages negotiating them down while dropping points in the interval.

And as Conte continually points out, that has to change. This club cannot act like that and expect to win things, abandoning on-field results to negotiate endlessly over 5p.

Fair enough, it got us Porro in the end, which makes this a 6/10 window. But I'd say it isn't the sort of statement of intent that we needed.

Yeah. I count Porro as a signing until proven wrong. I don't care much about when that money is paid. Some reports that Sporting wanted it that way. He's our player of we want him, if we could afford to sign him outright this window we can still afford that and Kulusevski come the summer...

I get that getting players in early is useful. I prioritise getting the right player in way higher.

Danjuma was opportunistic. I have no issues with opportunistic signings as long as we do our site diligence. Porro was/will be one of the most expensive wing backs around. It was a difficult deal to do. Nothing opportunistic about it.

I think it’s the single biggest issue we have
It’s a lot of bodies to exit
And a risk that a club that’s normally funded like us can’t take

Difference between a gambler and a strategist. Understanding what failure looks like and deciding whether or not the next move is worth it.
Well people used to moan that it was always sell to buy, which meant all our buys were last minute, when all the good players had been bought, and no preseason as a result. So which scenario is better? I don't think the strategy is wrong, just those particular players from that period of spending.

that's your opinion and is like saying levy doesn't know enough football to invest to win things :)
No
It’s a fact …. They needed goals
That’s been their weakness
But he brought wingers, box to box midfielders and defenders
To spend £500m upwards and not get a number 9 in is mental imo

No
It’s a fact …. They needed goals
That’s been their weakness
But he brought wingers, box to box midfielders and defenders
To spend £500m upwards and not get a number 9 in is mental imo

and we are the opposite, two golden boot winners and need much better defenders as we're leaking early goals like a mid table team

Well people used to moan that it was always sell to buy, which meant all our buys were last minute, when all the good players had been bought, and no preseason as a result. So which scenario is better? I don't think the strategy is wrong, just those particular players from that period of spending.
I'd always rather we bought players earlier especially if we are talking mid season. It gives them more time to settle and acclimatise and as well as the opportunity to contribute sooner. If we had been able to add the incomings at the start of this window it might have made a difference to our points haul.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I'd always rather we bought players earlier especially if we are talking mid season. It gives them more time to settle and acclimatise and as well as the opportunity to contribute sooner. If we had been able to add the incomings at the start of this window it might have made a difference to our points haul.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

People used to say we had to wait until our rivals did their business before we did ours. That was a reason why we always left our deals so late apparently.

Yeah, we should sign them early because we are the only party in the deal and there's nobody to stop it happening. It's not like there's another club involved, a player, an agent and others trying to get their cut. None of them would ever change their mind or move the goalposts delaying a deal. Yup, all on Levy and Paratici twiddling their thumbs instead of getting the deal done.

No other club leaves it to the last minute to do deals even though there was a total of 19 or 20 incoming deals on deadline day by premier league clubs.

Nobody fudges up deals like Levy, even though Chelsea messed up the paperwork on Ziyechs move to PSG and Barcelona missed out on signing Araujo as they were 18 seconds late registering the deal.

Yup, everything is Levy's fault.

Yeah, we should sign them early because we are the only party in the deal and there's nobody to stop it happening. It's not like there's another club involved, a player, an agent and others trying to get their cut. None of them would ever change their mind or move the goalposts delaying a deal. Yup, all on Levy and Paratici twiddling their thumbs instead of getting the deal done.

No other club leaves it to the last minute to do deals even though there was a total of 19 or 20 incoming deals on deadline day by premier league clubs.

Nobody fudges up deals like Levy, even though Chelsea messed up the paperwork on Ziyechs move to PSG and Barcelona missed out on signing Araujo as they were 18 seconds late registering the deal.

Yup, everything is Levy's fault.

You are clearly missing the point. Where there is a release clause we should simply trigger that on the first day of the window (even though it is the player who has to do it), pay multi-millions up front, and the deal is done. Simples.
Forget that we might want some of the cash reserves in case another deal comes up, or in case I don't know, we want at some point to offer a mega deal to our star player, or an enhanced deal to our manager should he deign to commit beyond the summer. Just pay the damn money.

Back