• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

as long as a forward is contributing to the overall system I'm not to fussed how many he's scoring himself, as long as someone is scoring of course

my issue with ade is that he's not performing to his ability, I'm not sure lazy is the right word, more unaplicated (which might not actually be a word)

Not having a go at you but this infuriates me. Why do we over complicate things? They don't play 'completely different roles' they're both strikers. Both paid to knock the roundy roundy leather in the onion bag.

That's ok, you are fine saying what you think, I wouldn't take it as you having a go at me.

I think that the reason the role has changed is because of changes in formation which has happened to exploit space. I am sure that in time things will turn full circle and poacher strikers will come back into fashion but I am struggling to think of a top team that plays with one now.

I would question the "Ade had a great game" people to go watch that match again .. he had a poor game (as he has had most of this season, and the last few games of last).

I will attempt to answer your question

- Ade has fallen into the habit of that Robbie Keane used to do and people here used to ride him game after game for, he is not supposed to spend the whole ****ing game in midfield, too many times, Rose, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela are further up the pitch and, Ade is not making the run to get ahead of them.
- If it was just a poor service issue, why did Chadli, Lamela, Eriksen all have shots on goal yesterday, how many did Ade have?
- Ade's true ability is his acceleration, case in point, the one time he used it yesterday was for the goal, he got the ball, accelerated away, made a pass (how many other times for game did he use that in an attacking sense?)
- He can hold up the ball well, but not recently, the amount of times he has been bullied off the ball, fallen down or just lost the ball in this season is very concerning.
- Completely disagree with him being any part of game plan, our game plan from what I can tell, is press opposition to get ball, move ball quickly, leverage FBs to potentially use width, otherwise use quick passing of Eriksen and Lamela to get to Ade supported by Chadli. If Ade moves too slowly, doesn't commit to being in the box, doesn't make himself available for the pass (if he is behind the midfielders doing a Keane), it all breaks down.

Funny when Soldado wasn't scoring but helping the play, this board was all "a strikers job is to score goals" now Ade isn't scoring "he's essential to our style/play" sorry I call BS ..

1. We haven't pressed all season bar first 30 against soton and qpr. We haven't got the midfield to do so - pressing is currently not in our game plan throughout a game.

2. Ade's team play and work rate is in another stratosphere to soldado. Yes he has been poor this year but soldado can't hold the ball up at all and does nothing for us. Flicks around blind alleys, barely breaks swear and is bullied in every game.

3. His service has been woeful this season - we have been utterly disjointed and we haven't got the ball forward enough. How many good chances do we create? Hardly any.

as long as a forward is contributing to the overall system I'm not to fussed how many he's scoring himself, as long as someone is scoring of course

my issue with ade is that he's not performing to his ability, I'm not sure lazy is the right word, more unaplicated (which might not actually be a word)

My problem is that with Ade playing as a lone striker the overall system is simply not working as reflected in a paltry 9 goals in 7 league matches

My problem is that with Ade playing as a lone striker the overall system is simply not working as reflected in a paltry 9 goals in 7 league matches

so if we had someone else up there we would have scored like what...1.5 or twice as many goals?

you dont think the rest of the team might have something to do with how the team is playing and not scoring goals?

But he has been one of the most productive players in terms of contributions to goals... Yet he gets slated constantly where others are not judged by the same criteria.

I think it would be fair to say that (until his stormer against the goons) Kaboul was playing pretty poorly. Yet he was one of the most productive players in terms of stopping goals against.

That doesn't mean he was playing well, it just means he's a defender.

People talk of him being lazy.... Seriously????? Ade may be a lot of things but I really can't see where this lazy tag comes from.

Walking back onside, only sprinting once or twice a game (at best), returning from his holibobs whenever the hell he fancies it, mystery injury niggles before ITV4 Cup away matches, the list goes on.

Also do you really believe that if we scored more goals say 13 and Ade's contributions increased in line with this say 7 key contributions people would be fairer with their critique? Im not sure they will

I don't even want that much from him - that would be a miracle. I'd just like to be be stronger than weaker players, better in the air than shorter players, have better control of the ball than my one-legged grandmother and put a bit of effort in once in a while.

So lets look at Lambert under Poch last season as a reference:

Played 37, Scored 13, Assisted 11
So pretty much 2 assists or goals every 3 games.

i'm sure poch will know those numbers by heart and will evaluate ade against those.
Lambert wasn't on £100K+ per week either. Ade probably costs more than twice what Lambert does.

so if we had someone else up there we would have scored like what...1.5 or twice as many goals?

you dont think the rest of the team might have something to do with how the team is playing and not scoring goals?

If management had scouted and brought a better striker this summer as many on here I would definitely have hoped so. Maybe trying a change of formation when we are struggling to score goals would have worked, you know Ade with a Roberto or Harry.

So lets look at Lambert under Poch last season as a reference:

Played 37, Scored 13, Assisted 11
So pretty much 2 assists or goals every 3 games.

i'm sure poch will know those numbers by heart and will evaluate ade against those.

If your first choice striker is scoring 1 in 3 then you have problems, especially if you do not have a Bale

And some would disagree

- Ade had a significant part in THAT goal
- overall, I didn't find his contribution was good for the game, and unlike others, I find his constant out of position play vastly frustrating.
- Did he have a shot on goal?
- Can't say how anyone could really argue Kane and/or Soldado would not have matched or improved the level of contribution to the team (Kane has a better goal/assist ration this season than Ade for the stat hounds)

Well, anyone , you stattos out there , did he have a shot on goal versus Southampton ?

I think Kane has done enough to be given a chance.

And as someone else mentioned he has 6 goals in 8 matches at under 21 level for England. Maybe dropping Ade will make him hungrier

I'm not saying that he is playing great at all, he can play a lot better, as can the whole team. What I don't like is the unfair and unjustified criticism of him, some would have you believe he is has contributed nothing. That's simply not true hense me banging on about the fact that he has had key contributions to over half of our league goals.

That doesn't mean that I think that he is on fire, or he is playing to best of his ability, far from it. But he has been one of the most productive players in terms of contributions to goals... Yet he gets slated constantly where others are not judged by the same criteria. People talk of him being lazy.... Seriously????? Ade may be a lot of things but I really can't see where this lazy tag comes from.

The point made about us not scoring enough... Well yeah OK I agree we are not, but that ain't just down to Ade's performances and contributions. The fact that he has been heavily involved in over half our goals means that he is making a significant contribution to the goals we have scored and maybe we need to look to others to to assess why they have not made a similar contribution, thus helping us score more.

Also do you really believe that if we scored more goals say 13 and Ade's contributions increased in line with this say 7 key contributions people would be fairer with their critique? Im not sure they will

Depends I guess on whether they actually were key contributions or not, the mere simple pass in the lead-up to a goal seems to qualify as a key involvement on the spurs site, which for me is rather weak. Although, just to note, I agree with you that the Southampton goal can be argued as a key contribution as it was that driving run that instigated the entire move, and whilst it did not create the opportunity itself, it did play a key part in the lead up.

But getting back to your point, it’s like I was saying before, stats can be misleading, simply having 7 key contributions would again imo not prove much, especially if we are counting a simple pass in the build-up to a goal as a key contribution. For me you cannot trump evaluating a player by watching games live yourself and then coming to a conclusion that way. And at the moment, for me, Adebayor is playing below par, he does not look a goal threat, he is not holding the ball up to the level we know he is capable of and he is also not involved enough in the build-up. No amount of stats or heat maps are going to or should persuade me or anyone else otherwise, we have all watched football long enough now to be able take in all the variables and make our own minds up on whether someone is playing well or not.

If Ade was playing well and all these key contributions were actually key, these discussions would not be happening, but he isn’t and imo on the whole they haven’t been, so they are. If he does eventually start playing well, talk of ‘key contributions’ and positioning will vanish and we’ll be talking of more significant contributions such as goals, assists and a high-level of hold-up and general link-up play.

Last edited:
I think Kane has done enough to be given a chance.

And as someone else mentioned he has 6 goals in 8 matches at under 21 level for England. Maybe dropping Ade will make him hungrier

Maybe this is a gamble Poch is unwilling to take just yet? Think toys and pram.

Agree with you regarding Kane, he deserves more minutes, ahead of Soldado too.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a gamble Poch is unwilling to take just yet? Think toys and pram.

Agree with you regarding Kane, he deserves more minutes, ahead of Soldado too.

We should have put Ade on £60K per week with £50K per goal and £30K per assist.

He'd be on 10 goals already.

We should have put Ade on £60K per week with £50K per goal and £30K per assist.

He'd be on 10 goals already.

I really don't buy the he plays for a contract argument. I just think that he is a streaky player and if he wasn't he would be playing for a bigger club than us.

We were discussing Ade's wages a couple of days ago, this article in the Standard puts his current salary at between £80-90k a week.

Back