• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Back to the sanity ( relatively speaking) of the post.
Does anyone really agree with this dragging defenders out tactic?

Actually yes I do but there is making intelligent runs across the opposition defence to create space and then there is dropping deep because your not in the game.

I could give you the example of what Dirk Kuyt did for Liverpool, but why bother....as Spurs fans we only need to hark back to the glorious combination that was Berbatov and Keane, it was such a pefect mix, Keanes pace and runs across the defence created space for Berbatov to do his thing, Berba had strength, unbelievable technique and was a deadly finisher, Keane would put in the graft, had pace and was excellent at creating space and ratting around Berbatov chipping in with the goals as well....

I love lots of movement from forward players....its why Liverpool had so much joy with Suarez, Sturridge & Strerling making runs drawing defenders across and creating space for others.

Will probably get slated for this but I have the feeling that 'ade just does what he wants' I cant imagine for one moment poch tells him to play left winger for half the game or to drop deep so the opposition defence can push up on us.

I would go as far to say that Kane has that ability to make intelligent movement beneficial to himself and others, I dont think Ade has that....

Again this is a straw man argument, no one is saying that Ade is being instructed to not score goals.

It is very likely that he is being asked to drop deep. Lambert did this last season at Southampton and Rodriguez profited exactly like Chadli is for us this season. I am sure that Poch wants more goals from Ade too but this will not be the only criteria that he will judge him on.

No more "straw man" then suggesting he is being instructed to drop deep is the reason why he hasn't got more than 1 league goal rather than Adebayor himself.

Yes I agree nigey, across the box. But there is CFs not doing that, not just Ade. Someone mentioned it earlier about Torres the last few seasons and Rooney has been guilty of it in the past.
Liverpool last season made runs into and around the the box to create pockets/pull defenders about. I think this idea that a defender is going to follow a goal threat away from the goal is silly.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I really think Ade is up there ranking amongst our most frustrating ever players!

I don't agree with Carragher much about anything but his comment the other year about Ade's potential not being realised as criminal was pretty much spot on for me, with his presence and skill set what he has given us this year it feels like he has got his fingers in the till. Its a crime.

do I want him chased off with pitchforks or constantly booed ???? no! I just want him to stop wasting his and our time. I want to see a bit of desire and I want to see him give everything for his teamates! something which in my opinion is clearly lacking. Last season he had a point to prove and we had a massive asset on our hands....now he is back in the comfort zone....

perhaps I should blame poch for not managing him well enough although as an individual I believe he should take more responsibility and start putting in some performances to justify the hefty wedge he picks up every week!

Yes I agree nigey, across the box. But there is CFs not doing that, not just Ade. Someone mentioned it earlier about Torres the last few seasons and Rooney has been guilty of it in the past.
Liverpool last season made runs into and around the the box to create pockets/pull defenders about. I think this idea that a defender is going to follow a goal threat away from the goal is silly.

I mentioned Torres. There are many reasons why his form declined, but it didn't help that he strayed so far from the box. Personally, I think he hides. I'm not saying Adebayor is doing that, but dropping deep/wide so often isn't doing him any favours considering he's only got 1 goal.

It all depends on what instructions managers give to defenders...regarding man marking and positioning ect....

Torres, yes he lost a bit of pace but he stopped making the runs/surges into the box that made him lethal in his Atl Madrid/Liverpool days, Torres was never a Drogba/Costa who could bully...bundle his way through defenders with raw strength.

As a striker you are either a beast - drogba so you can play up against a cb and bully them a Aguero who scares defenders sh**less with his movement and his pace, or you get strikers like Berba & Balotelli who have a unique and languid style where its vital to get the right players around them.

For me Ade should be a bully playing up against cb's bullying them....basically you wouldnt want Drogba to be playing lw or cm.....not his strengths....

perhaps we are not playing to his strengths or perhaps like Torres he has forgotten to keep doing the things that made him reasonably successful in the first place.

Juergen, I think Ades doing it for the same reason as Rooney, desperate to get on the ball. Can't see the bigger picture. Is his movement stifling eriksens or has eriksen just turned into a statue because think his movement has been really poor this season. should have course they are still just trying to get used to the new system. Who runs where and when. Only one that seems to gave grasped it us chadli.

I don't necessarily disagree that he has instructions to drop deep and create space for the 3 behind him, but I can't for the life of me believe Poch is telling him to neglect his duties as a goalscorer altogether. We are simply not going to come close to achieving what we want to achieve with Ade scoring at the rate he is at the moment.... Well unless Chadli does what Bale did two seasons ago.

I'm a striker and call me old fashioned, but I've always looked at strikers' in terms of how many goals they've scored. That's why I never rated Heskey and I still won't rate Welbeck until he becomes prolific, I won't really be persuaded about this, a striker with a goal ratio of 1 in 7 (yes even if he is playing well) is simply not good enough in my opinion.

I've always thought he flattered to deceive, his entire career, his MO has been the same; brilliant at times, utterly inept at others. The most frustrating thing is, It's not a talent issue despite his so so finishing and poor control, it's more motivation/desire call it whatever you want. He's just too unreliable and too much of a maverick, it's not like he's as good as Luis Suarez where we can afford to tolerate his strange behaviour at times.

I'm sure there are Spurs fans that genuniely don't like him, I've never met him so I don't have any strong feelings either way. But he's too much of an enigma for me, it's not some vendetta as some posters seem to insinuate.

Fair enough.
Have to say I'm not in total agreement, but such is life and taste in players. You've never explained your opinion on him in a way that suggests agenda or vendetta mate, your argument is a taste-n-player based one, I can see that.

As everyone seems to have ignored this, I will repeat it again Ade has had a key contribution to 5 of our 9 goals.

Key contribution = goal or assist or assist of the assister.

Source: spurs official site.

Discuss.

A very fair point indeed. It's a case of finding the right combination. I think we could do with the 'released' midfielders taking more shots on site, and yes, it would be churlish not to agree that Ade needs to be more 'goal positive' too. In fact, the purpose with which he broke to help create 'the much debated' goal would be great seen more often and with him doing a 'chelski' at the end!!!! But to ignore any of the good work he has done this season, well, y'know, fixed-player-dislikes and all...

As I said he 'assisted' with Eriksen's goal, crossed for one of Chadli's goals and has scored one himself. Where is the evidence of all this good work? This output is insufficient to justify his position in the team...the guy is a passenger.

As everyone seems to have ignored this, I will repeat it again Ade has had a key contribution to 5 of our 9 goals.

Discuss.

I think Scara has already de-bunked the whole assist of the assister malarkey.

Discuss.

link to the source? i'd be happy to understand how and why they set up a stat like that.

No more "straw man" then suggesting he is being instructed to drop deep is the reason why he hasn't got more than 1 league goal rather than Adebayor himself.

No one has said that it is the reason he has only got one goal this season. The argument has been "lack of goals = he's ****, drop him". To which some people have replied that his role in the team involves more than being the furthest man forward and getting into the box.

With regards to dropping deep and pulling wide being an instruction. Did you read the article I linked to a couple of pages back?

http://www.spursfanatic.com/blog/roberto-soldado-emmanuel-adebayor/

This looks at the role Lambert played at Southampton last season and who is best placed to play a similar role for us this season.

Discuss.

He played well against Southampton, but being heavily involved in a goal i.e. playing a key/world class pass is far different to what Ade did on Sunday. It was a good, sufficient pass, let's not make it into any more than it was. Soldado wouldn't be getting as much credit if he did the same.

1-0 vs QPR:

QPR_1_0.jpg

4-0 vs QPR:

QPR_4_0.jpg

1-0 vs Sunderland:

Sunderland_1_0.jpg

2-1 vs Sunderland:

Sunderland_2_1.jpg

He played well against Southampton, but being heavily involved in a goal i.e. playing a key/world class pass is far different to what Ade did on Sunday. It was a good, sufficient pass, let's not make it into any more than it was. Soldado wouldn't be getting as much credit if he did the same.

you honestly believe that?

No one has said that it is the reason he has only got one goal this season. The argument has been "lack of goals = he's ****, drop him". To which some people have replied that his role in the team involves more than being the furthest man forward and getting into the box.

With regards to dropping deep and pulling wide being an instruction. Did you read the article I linked to a couple of pages back?

http://www.spursfanatic.com/blog/roberto-soldado-emmanuel-adebayor/

This looks at the role Lambert played at Southampton last season and who is best placed to play a similar role for us this season.

This is interesting.

I think it basically shows that the player that is playing AMC is not doing a good enough job breaking into the box. Chadli is doing a good job but he's usually doing it playing in the wide position but the central player (usually Eriksen this season) has to do more to get into the box. When Ade comes deep..Eriksen's instinct has to be to attack the box immediately but we're not seeing that a lot yet

This article also shows that Kane should be very good in that role if given a proper chance.

Back