• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Assist the assister is a valid and commonly used stat pretty much throughout football now.

It was not a perfect ball in to chadli but it was a ball that chadli received and passed on to the goal scorer
I think it's stretching the point a little to include the chances when we score despite what Ade does rather than because of it.

What if that incredible defensive clearance he made for Besiktas last week had landed at the feet of Kaboul on the halfway line who then lashed it into the net - would you count that as an assist?

What if in yet another of his strolling back onside episodes he gets flagged and the opposition keeper smacks the resulting free kick off of a defender into his own net - does he get credit for that?

I actually think there is a fair chance Ade may not get the nod vs Emirates Marketing Project.

Consider that Ade wont get back from International Duty until probably next thursday, the likelihood is that he will be tired from his Togo exploits and will not be fit enough for an early Saturday lunchtime kick off.....meanwhile a certain bobby soldier will have spent the whole time of international duty working with poch in training and be fresh as a daisy. I think those who wont want Ade to play vs City will get their wish. I dont think poch will ignore that one striker is tired and the other is raring to go.

Have to say the excuses for Adebayor are getting wilder and wilder by the day, does Costa not play as the lone striker? yeah he is really struggling for goals while the likes of Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle bang them in.

Unfortunately we are stuck with him for now and we need more out of him so I guess we play the game for now, but lets not pretend Ade hasnt been anything other than very poor for us this season, last time I checked strikers were paid megabucks to bang in the goals.....thats how they always get measured isnt it?

I actually think there is a fair chance Ade may not get the nod vs Emirates Marketing Project.

Consider that Ade wont get back from International Duty until probably next thursday, the likelihood is that he will be tired from his Togo exploits and will not be fit enough for an early Saturday lunchtime kick off.....meanwhile a certain bobby soldier will have spent the whole time of international duty working with poch in training and be fresh as a daisy. I think those who wont want Ade to play vs City will get their wish. I dont think poch will ignore that one striker is tired and the other is raring to go.

Have to say the excuses for Adebayor are getting wilder and wilder by the day, does Costa not play as the lone striker? yeah he is really struggling for goals while the likes of Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle bang them in.

Unfortunately we are stuck with him for now and we need more out of him so I guess we play the game for now, but lets not pretend Ade hasnt been anything other than very poor for us this season, last time I checked strikers were paid megabucks to bang in the goals.....thats how they always get measured isnt it?

I know mate. People like to mention his goal ratio during his time at Spurs, fair enough I say. But then when he's not scoring the goals, he still gets defended. Just because he has the most talent of the 3 strikers, we should stick with him regardless of form/recent goals record.

EDIT: I'm glad you brought up Costa and more specifically Chelsea. I see a lot of similarities between Adebayor and Torres, who also drifted wide and didn't get in the box enough, yes, he has gone off the boil for so many reasons, but he didn't help himself by staying outside the box so often, I got the impression he was hiding (not saying Ade is doing that to be clear). Chelsea have the same manager as last season, but Costa attacks the box far more than Torres did, is that down to the manager or the player?

Last edited:
I think it's stretching the point a little to include the chances when we score despite what Ade does rather than because of it.

What if that incredible defensive clearance he made for Besiktas last week had landed at the feet of Kaboul on the halfway line who then lashed it into the net - would you count that as an assist?

What if in yet another of his strolling back onside episodes he gets flagged and the opposition keeper smacks the resulting free kick off of a defender into his own net - does he get credit for that?

I'm not sure if you are referring to his considerable hand in Ericksen's goal on Sunday, however frankly, if you consider lauding his significant contribution to that goal as stretching the point, then let's be fair, you really don't like him. Because it was significant.

I'm not sure if you are referring to his considerable hand in Ericksen's goal on Sunday, however frankly, if you consider lauding his significant contribution to that goal as stretching the point, then let's be fair, you really don't like him. Because it was significant.
That's the one - the one where Chadli had to stop running, turn and stretch to get the ball. I would expect quite literally any player in our squad to have placed that pass better. In fact, I'd expect most players in most Sunday League sides to place it better.

Ade was involved simply because he was in that part of the pitch, not because of anything he did right.

Maybe so, but if it gets to the stage where Adebayor has 1 or 2 goals in 15 games, then Poch has to think about dropping him.

I don't know but I would be looking to judge him on his all round contribution and his part in the team's performance, rather than just goals scored. The same as I would any other striker.

The official spurs website

Goal. Assist or assist of the assister

Similar to what Eriksen did against Arsenal then? The big difference being Eriksen pressed and won the ball back, whereas Ade played a pass that wasn't overly accurate and Chadli had to stretch to get it as Scara points out.

That's the one - the one where Chadli had to stop running, turn and stretch to get the ball. I would expect quite literally any player in our squad to have placed that pass better. In fact, I'd expect most players in most Sunday League sides to place it better.

Ade was involved simply because he was in that part of the pitch, not because of anything he did right.

Sorry, that just shows you have your anti-Ade blinders on. Especially the last bit. Chadli has FOUR Soton players around him. Tell me where else Ade could've passed that ball where he'd get it? He could not have put in front of Chadli that's for sure. And call that a stretch? Crikey, would hate to see what you'd term a 'sprint'...

I don't know but I would be looking to judge him on his all round contribution and his part in the team's performance, rather than just goals scored. The same as I would any other striker.

It seems a bit like he's almost undroppable in some people's, they point to his goalscoring record at Spurs being good, but when he's not scoring, he's "still contributing to the team".

Similar to what Eriksen did against Arsenal then? The big difference being Eriksen pressed and won the ball back, whereas Ade played a pass that wasn't overly accurate and Chadli had to stretch to get it as Scara points out.

As someone who still plays upfront, and often has their back to goal to flick layoffs like that around to people running on, I absolutely, 100% fail to see where Chadli's stretching anything whatsoever mate…I'm genuinely not trying to be argumentative, I just think it's really inaccurate to say he was 'stretching' when video clearly shows he wasn't.

It seems a bit like he's almost undroppable in some people's, they point to his goalscoring record at Spurs being good, but when he's not scoring, he's "still contributing to the team".

No, on current form I absolutely agree that Harry Kane has earned a chance to do what Ade does, especially given how Kane likes to drop off and be the 'second' striker anyhow. But Ade has been nowhere near as awful for most of the season as people seems to state…IMO.

Strawman. No one has said that he is undroppable. Plenty of people have said that players should be judge on more than one criteria.

Back