• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

False 9s that drifted but also contributed with the link-up play and that remained a goal threat.

I've come into this discussion late so i may have caught the wrong end of the stick here, but are we excusing Adebayor's lack of productivity and non-existent link-up play this season to being positioned out wide? Sadly for us, positioning is not the reason he has been quiet this season, the reason is quite simply because he's just not very good. He's a streaky forward that is great when in form but non-existent for lengthy periods afterwards. It's an issue he has had his entire career and it's replaying itself once again now. Positioning does not excuse a heavy touch, positioning does not excuse a lack of pressing, positioning does not excuse poor link-up play or a loose pass and positioning certainly does not excuse substandard finishing.

I think it's got to the stage now where some are exaggerating Adebayor's performances and the role he is playing for the team to counterbalance the overly critical comments that have been leveled at him. The truth of the matter is he has been sub-par this season, he'll come good for a month or two down the line but then he'll go missing for a lengthy period once again afterwards. Same story, different season. He's a decent forward that we just need to accept until something better comes along. I'd like to see Soldado given a proper opportunity myself, but i just can't see that happening.

You do acknowledge that on Sunday, the goal came from his work on the left and Chadli's chance also came from his work on the left/deft through ball?

The comment was not especially with regards to Adebayor initially, it was in response to someone saying how they felt #9's played. I was pointing out that in the modern game, the #9 so-to-speak has virtually disappeared. I would agree that he is not at his most brilliant right now, and that the criticism he is receiving from some is overt (to say the least). But we all have to acknowledge that he is providing some productivity, albeit not where traditional strikers do.

Spain had match winners all over the pitch, and people who could get goals.

I suspect that Poch would tell you that Ericksen, Lamela and Chadli are all match-winners in their own right, albeit not of the calibre Spain possessed obviously.

I think it's funny this comment has been picked up; it was in response to the opinion that #9's should be some Mcdonald/Ferguson/Carroll beast and nothing else!!!!

The official site provides heatmaps and stats for the players and passing charts for major events in each game.

Thanks that's a good resource.

Drum roll........ Ade has had key contributions to 5 of our 9 league goals..... That's over half.

Key contributions are: Goals, Assists, Assist the Assister. And ade has five....
And I will repeat Over half of of our league goals have been as direct result of Ade's key contributions.

I suspect that Poch would tell you that Ericksen, Lamela and Chadli are all match-winners in their own right, albeit not of the calibre Spain possessed obviously.

I think it's funny this comment has been picked up; it was in response to the opinion that #9's should be some Mcdonald/Ferguson/Carroll beast and nothing else!!!!

Not necessarily nothing else but his main priority is/should be to score goals. By all means make space for others but don't vacate the area entirely, especially given that he's only got one league goal. The longer that drought goes on, the more he will snatch at chances when they do come his way.

I certainly don't count misplacing a pass that Charlie has to turn around and stretch to receive, no.

Assist the assister is a valid and commonly used stat pretty much throughout football now.

It was not a perfect ball in to chadli but it was a ball that chadli received and passed on to the goal scorer

Not necessarily nothing else but his main priority is/should be to score goals. By all means make space for others but don't vacate the area entirely, especially given that he's only got one league goal. The longer that drought goes on, the more he will snatch at chances when they do come his way.
His main priority should be to help the team win.

Actually his main priority is/should be doing whatever the f*** his manager tells him to do. If he does that and we play sh** then guess what, it's not his fault!

Actually his main priority is/should be doing whatever the f*** his manager tells him to do. If he does that and we play sh** then guess what, it's not his fault!

Absolutely.... I think Adebayor is playing in quite an unselfish way at the moment. A way that probably isn't going to result in him scoring a lot of goals but should help our attacking midfield 3 get a decent amount of chances.

As I've said before. I hope that we can get an upgrade on Adebayor in January (or more likely next Summer) but until then we are stuck with him because our other options up front cannot really play the way the Pochettino wants in that role (although I think Kane can grow into that role in time).

So now it's not his fault when he plays bad? I've heard it all now. Next it will be he's been our best player this season.

So do you think he is contributing enough at the moment? Not sure about Soldado, but I'm sure Kane could have given us more than Ade has so far.

Ade definitely is not performing at the top of his game but I think that he is playing an important role in the team which he is better suited to than the other options. I am not convinced that Kane is ready to play at number 9 yet in the Premier League yet.

Ade definitely is not performing at the top of his game but I think that he is playing an important role in the team which he is better suited to than the other options. I am not convinced that Kane is ready to play at number 9 yet in the Premier League yet.

I thought that for years too but he's impressed me the last 8 months or so. We won't know unless we try him out.

I thought that for years too but he's impressed me the last 8 months or so. We won't know unless we try him out.

He has mainly been played behind the striker so far under Poch and has not looked as good when further forward. I am all for giving him more chances but I think that they should be in the position where he has looked most comfortable.

With regards to the front four, after two good games, I think that we are best leaving them as they are for the moment and let them try to continue to build their understanding.

He has mainly been played behind the striker so far under Poch and has not looked as good when further forward. I am all for giving him more chances but I think that they should be in the position where he has looked most comfortable.

With regards to the front four, after two good games, I think that we are best leaving them as they are for the moment and let them try to continue to build their understanding.

Maybe so, but if it gets to the stage where Adebayor has 1 or 2 goals in 15 games, then Poch has to think about dropping him.

Back