• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: Official - Adebayor

Em, I don't really see how everyone thinks this is such a good team. We'd have even less width than when AVB was in charge and it strips the team completely of pace. Dembele moves the ball way too slowly in Centre mid as well.

Id go with

Lloris
Walker Kab/Daws Vertonghen Rose
Sandro Eriksen
Lennon ------ Lamella
Ade Soldado

Eriksen pulling the strings, Lamella drifting into the whole and Lennon hugging the touchline to keep our width.

It's pretty close to a 4-2-2-2 formation, can be very exciting.

Two holding midfielders allows the full backs to push forward and provide the width you ask for.

With Lamela and Eriksen in the team in addition to two strikers that are alright on the ball you would get a decent amount of creativity. Lamela has shown that he's capable of dropping a bit deeper from the right to pick the ball up, I think Eriksen would be capable of the same thing.

A 4-4-2 with Eriksen in central midfield and Lamela on the left seems borderline suicidal against good teams. I don't quite see how even Sandro would be able to offer enough protection to the back 4 in that setup. I also think Lamela is somewhat wasted on the left.

I think we need to move away from the "pace is everything" belief, for all of Lennon's physical pace, what does he actually bring to the table? Three goals a season and the odd assist? Maybe it's time for quick thinkers rather than quick runners. I certainly don't think City's usual starting 11 is quicker than the Spurs team posted above, better players no doubt but ours are hardly sunday league either. I agree that Dembele needs to move the ball faster, I do think he has it in him, I don't see Paulinho or Capoue being any better in that regard, perhaps Holtby would but I still prefer Dembele in that area.

We could play a Emirates Marketing Project style 442.

Lloris
Walker Kab/Vlad Vertonghen Rose
Sandro Dembele
Lamela ------ Eriksen
Ade Soldado​

I think both Toure and Fernandinho offer a lot more going forward than Sandro. He would be very reliant on Dembele.

I think we need to move away from the "pace is everything" belief, for all of Lennon's physical pace, what does he actually bring to the table? Three goals a season and the odd assist? Maybe it's time for quick thinkers rather than quick runners. I certainly don't think City's usual starting 11 is quicker than the Spurs team posted above, better players no doubt but ours are hardly sunday league either. I agree that Dembele needs to move the ball faster, I do think he has it in him, I don't see Paulinho or Capoue being any better in that regard, perhaps Holtby would but I still prefer Dembele in that area.

I agree with all of that, except for the fact that I believe Lennon is a quick thinker as well as a quick runner.

But you're right, you don't need to be fast to beat a man or even two or three - look at how Arsenal cut open teams through the middle with fatties like Carzorla.

Paulimho passes/moves the ball much quicker than Dembele! The problem is
1) it's Wilkins direction
2) he is not strong enough on it
3) he looked like he was in dire need of a rest.
I expect bigger things from him.
Dembele needs to play as high up the pitch as possible because his passing is average IMO...he is not a quick thinker.

Pace certainly isn't everything, but it's about making the most out of what you have. Personally, I actually think Lennon is a quick thinker as well as a quick runner and we would benefit more with him in the team pulling full backs about and creating space for Eriksen to slide passes through, or for Lamella to occupy when he drifts in off the left than we would having Lamella and Eriksen both drifting into the same positions and Kyle Walker bombing up and down the line with no thought to the timing of his runs or why he's actually running in the first place.

A team without width is incredibly easy to defend against. Your back four lines up no wider than the 18 yeard box and immediately the space between full-backs and centre halfs is reduced. It makes it much more difficult to pick a pass. Yes I appreciate the Walker is supposed to give us width in the formation suggested, but its not the same as having a pacey (fairly intellegent) winger constantly giving the full back something to worry about, and thats where the space for Eriksen (or anyone) to pick out passes comes from. In my humble opinion anyway.

Pace certainly isn't everything, but it's about making the most out of what you have. Personally, I actually think Lennon is a quick thinker as well as a quick runner and we would benefit more with him in the team pulling full backs about and creating space for Eriksen to slide passes through, or for Lamella to occupy when he drifts in off the left than we would having Lamella and Eriksen both drifting into the same positions and Kyle Walker bombing up and down the line with no thought to the timing of his runs or why he's actually running in the first place.

A team without width is incredibly easy to defend against. Your back four lines up no wider than the 18 yeard box and immediately the space between full-backs and centre halfs is reduced. It makes it much more difficult to pick a pass. Yes I appreciate the Walker is supposed to give us width in the formation suggested, but its not the same as having a pacey (fairly intellegent) winger constantly giving the full back something to worry about, and thats where the space for Eriksen (or anyone) to pick out passes comes from. In my humble opinion anyway.

City seem to be managing fine though?

It was only the EL, but Lamela and Walker seemed perfectly capable of working together in that competition.

We couldn't have had more width than against West Ham and time and time again the crosses were rather ineffective. In the end a cross from one of our strikers during a counter attack got us a goal...

There's quite a bit of space in between the left and the right flank. Having two wide players in a formation drifting in like that shouldn't lead to a problem of them drifting into the same positions. Works for Bayern, City etc.

City seem to be managing fine though?

City do have width though, they don't have any out and out wingers. If I remember correctly at least a couple of their goals when they hammered us came from wide areas. With Eriksen on the left and lamela on the right as the original team mentioned was laid out I just feel that both will drift inside regularly. As I said, width can come from the fullbacks, but it's not the same as having a fast intellegent winger constantly giving the opposition full back something to think about.

As brianeclipse says in his post, it wouln't necessarily lead to them drifting into the same space but, if you watch pretty much every analysis of how toothless we were with inverted wingers, it boils down to lack of width and not pulling the opposition back four about enough.

Just my opninion though, which is one of the things which makes football so great (the fact everyone has differing opinions)

City do have width though, they don't have any out and out wingers. If I remember correctly at least a couple of their goals when they hammered us came from wide areas. With Eriksen on the left and lamela on the right as the original team mentioned was laid out I just feel that both will drift inside regularly. As I said, width can come from the fullbacks, but it's not the same as having a fast intellegent winger constantly giving the opposition full back something to think about.

As brianeclipse says in his post, it wouln't necessarily lead to them drifting into the same space but, if you watch pretty much every analysis of how toothless we were with inverted wingers, it boils down to lack of width and not pulling the opposition back four about enough.

Just my opninion though, which is one of the things which makes football so great (the fact everyone has differing opinions)

City's "go-to" team:

Keeper
Zabaleta Kompany Nastasic Clichy
Yaya Fernandinho
Silva ---------- Nasri
Negredo Aguero​

Same setup as the Spurs team posted, obviously they have better players and are currently better coached but ultimately it's as close in style as we could possibly get. Navas is their 12th man for when they need an orthodox winger, Lennon could be ours.

We could play a Emirates Marketing Project style 442.

Lloris
Walker Kab/Vlad Vertonghen Rose
Sandro Dembele
Lamela ------ Eriksen
Ade Soldado​

Like this team and set up. It begs the question, with the players we have why didn't AVB use it?

Was it because he was perhaps soooo intransigent over Ade?

City's "go-to" team:

Keeper
Zabaleta Kompany Nastasic Clichy
Yaya Fernandinho
Silva ---------- Nasri
Negredo Aguero​

Same setup as the Spurs team posted, obviously they have better players and are currently better coached but ultimately it's as close in style as we could possibly get. Navas is their 12th man for when they need an orthodox winger, Lennon could be ours.

Their full backs are very good at providing width, I see Zabaleta getting in a lot of crosses on the overlap. Their front 4 are also very fluid and often interchanges with exceptional movement which creates the space via that rather than natural width. Not sure our players have as good movement.

Really think it would have been a different story had Rose been fit, he provides width and attacking threat just like Walker. Lets hope he stays fit...

City play with no designated wide man most of the time, Navas the exception.
But their coach is brilliant and their players (football)intelligent.
They have 5 players that keep width, but they do it when it's appropriate for the game.
They don't stay out wide like a stick out on the field.
Fullbacks charge forward, one of the strikers (Aguero) move wide when he see space, and the two creative midfielders go wide when it's beneficial

Well that's down to coaching.

=D>

And the right players. Why we let BAE go without signing a replacement and cover for Rosé was one of AVB's biggest blunders IMO. It also led to Verts having to play there against his wishes and disrupted our whole back four.

=D>

And the right players. Why we let BAE go without signing a replacement and cover for Rosé was one of AVB's biggest blunders IMO. It also led to Verts having to play there against his wishes and disrupted our whole back four.

Cannot argue.
It gives a telling insight into the inflexibility which did him no favors…he had Benny in his crosshairs last season too...

=D>

Coaching seems to be overlooked nowadays but just look at Liverpool on Sunday they had a midfield of Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho and Sterling playing top drawer incisive pass and move football. They're not the best players in the world, they're good players obviously but it's down to Brendan Rodgers' coaching ability that has them playing that way. We don't have a bunch of static dopes playing for us(not all of them anyway), they just obviously weren't being taught all that well or weren't receptive to AVB's methods. Walker and Rose most certainly have it in them to perform the "Zabaleta" type role and a front four of Eriksen/Lamela/Soldado/Adebayor offers potential for the kind of movement you see from City's front four. AVB can say he didn't choose the players we signed but even then, there's no excuse for what we saw on Sunday, the majority of the players he has to choose from are full internationals for some of the best countries in the world, they shouldn't be out there looking like a bunch of strangers and getting humilated by a side with a similar level of talent.

How much different were liverpoo this season than last ? All about belief and a season of bedding in IMO.

So where's the Ade thread ? LOL

Back