• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

I think it's interesting that, once again, differences of opinion are becoming increasingly untolerated in this thread. You're either 'for' or 'against' Ade.
If only life were that simple...

No-one is denying he is in poor goalscoring form, but given the choices we do not have, it is obvious that AVB has found other ways to squeeze contributions from him.
Yes, he isn not attacking he box on that free-kick. This is not enough to damn him to hell for matches gone and matches to come IMO.
And if people don't think he is contributing a single thing, then I'd suggest they look at what the rest of the team is doing and factor in the amount of drudge work Adebayor is currently getting through.

I don't think any of us are stupid enough not to recognise what he ISN'T doing; THAT much is obvious. But it'd be really interesting to see who's prepared to look a little deeper and spot some of the things he HAS been helping with. Unfashionable I know. And no, this does not make me an 'Ade apologist' ;)...I just think head-down witch hunts are tedious and very often flawed...

Exactly. The longer that a discussion goes on the more views get polarised. It becomes black and white where people try to justify what they have said and view get embedded. The truth is nearly always half way between the extremes.

Yea his problem is in his head, I dont think anyone here thinks he is a bad footballer...
We know what he can do, but he only did it on loan. I know his been out, and maybe havent got used to the game we play.
But he can have the chelsea syndrom, and cant make it work under AVB.

I think ppl just see what he has done earlier, had a great first season and then his form has droped.

He is like a torres problem, maybe Obika would be a better choice, but we have to play Ade to get him back on track, lets only hope they can get him to play the way we want.

And yea I still think he is stupid in movement, he can only run one way, he need too see the pass before he runs, he dont know how the defenders move and stay in offside after his runs....

Last edited:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/22/tottenham-emmanuel-adebayor-togo-federation

Tottenham's Emmanuel Adebayor blames Togo federation for late return

Emmanuel Adebayor has talked for the first time about the chaos that followed Togo's exit from the Africa Cup of Nations earlier this month,, which delayed his return to Tottenham Hotspur and has compounded what he describes as "one of the toughest seasons of my whole life."

The striker endured uncertainty last summer, as his permanent transfer from Emirates Marketing Project became akin to a saga and, after the £5.5m deal went through in late August, he suffered injury and a red card against his former club, Arsenal, which led to a three-game ban. His domestic season was interrupted further by the Africa Cup of Nations, when he answered a personal plea from the president of Togo to lead the country in South Africa.

Adebayor has scored only three goals for Tottenham this time out, but he is primed for a glorious finale which, he hopes, will also see an old score being settled. The 28-year-old is reviled at Arsenal and he would love to beat them to a Champions League qualifying spot. Tottenham, who visit West Ham United on Monday night, are four points clear of Arsenal in fourth place. Arsenal face Aston Villa at home on Saturday and it is the north London derby at White Hart Lane next Sunday. Tottenham have not finished above Arsenal since 1994-95.

"When I was at Arsenal, my job was to score goals for them but now I'm at Tottenham and I have to help the team finish in the top four," Adebayor said. "We have a big chance this season to finish on top of them and we have to take it.

"You know what happened at the end of a tough race last season [when Tottenham missed out on the Champions League] and we don't want to commit the same mistake. It's getting better every season at Tottenham and we have to find a way, especially me. It's a big opportunity for me to show people I was right to leave Arsenal, which means finishing on top of them. If that's with Tottenham, it's even better."

Adebayor's Togo made history at the Africa Cup of Nations when they reached the quarter-finals for the first time. But they were beaten by Burkina Faso on Sunday 3 February and the defeat was the prompt for a whirlwind five days underpinned, in Adebayor's opinion, by characteristically inept organisation from the Togo Football Federation.

Adebayor had assured Tottenham that he would be back for training on Friday 8 February, in time for the lunchtime Premier League kick-off at home to Saudi Sportswashing Machine the following day. But he did not land at Luton airport until 6pm on the Friday, on a private jet that Tottenham had eventually chartered to bring him back from Togo. As a result he was not deemed ready to start against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, although he came on as a 69th-minute substitute in the 2-1 win.

The Togo president had requested to see the squad in order to congratulate them on their tournament showing but Adebayor said it took them four days to get a flight from South Africa to their home country. "We'd made history by reaching the quarter-finals and I cannot just jump on the plane and come back to my club, because the president of the country wanted to see us," Adebayor said. "I am the captain so I have to be there. Financially I can get a private jet and come back to London [from South Africa] but I could not abandon my team. As captain it's not a good example.

"In South Africa there were no planes to go back home [to Togo]. We went out on the Sunday, then we were trying to find a plane to go to Togo and [after that], go back to London. It took us four days to get a plane. That's not my fault. I can't do anything. I [couldn't] just put something on my body and fly back. When we did get to Togo, the next flight that the club sent for me, I was on it.

"Togo is not Ivory Coast. When they went out of the tournament [on the same day], the president of the federation sent them a plane to get back. In Togo you all know the story. It's not the same."

Adebayor cannot suppress his frustration at the Togolese federation. "I've spoken already about the organisation and I didn't want to go to the tournament because of it," he said. "The president of the country convinced me to go and I was happy to be the captain and everybody was proud of us. But as soon as we were out, the same things happen – organisation. There was nothing organised to take us back home.

"I had to call the president of the country on my own to tell him that we had to go [from South Africa]. He told us to get to the airport at 4pm on Thursday. We did and then we stayed at the airport for more than 10, 12 hours.

"I think people recognise now that, with a little more organisation, we can achieve something. That's what I've said for the last 10 years. You have to concentrate on football but that's not the case with Togo. You have to concentrate on: 'What am I going to eat today? Where am I going to sleep?'"

Adebayor highlighted how European players are able to enjoy weeks off after the European Championship, in contrast to their African counterparts, who must also switch immediately from "30 degree heat to minus three" and contend with changes to "the culture and the food". He said such switches take their toll in physical terms and that he has suffered since.

However, he added that he felt sharper against Lyon in the Europa League on Thursday night, when Mousa Dembélé's late goal carried Tottenham into a last-16 meeting with Internazionale, and he intends to drive an upturn in his personal fortunes over the coming weeks.

"I'm not going to blame it on anybody, I'm going to blame it on myself, because I know I can do better and a lot of people who know me are expecting better," Adebayor said. "But I'm a human being, I've got blood running through my veins like everyone else. You reach a point where you are tired. But I'm getting back to my best. Physically I'm looking better and, when I'm good physically, I know the rest will follow."

There can be no doubting Adebayor's mental toughness and he draws strength from the events that he has lived through, particularly the gun attack on the Togo team bus before the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations.

"I get a tough time but I have to keep going because [it] could have been worse," he said. "I've seen people dying in front of me, I've seen people with guns in front of me. I've also had 30,000 people abusing me [in stadiums]. I take it as part of life. It's true that sometimes, you hear things and think: 'It's a tough one,' but when I go home to my wife and little daughter, they put a smile on my face. They are the only people who make me happy."

I'm actually happy to hear Ade speak. It seems like a while since we've heard from him.

He'll come good for us from now on

It's worked out for us so far.

He felt exhausted, so it's good that he didn't play the full Saudi Sportswashing Machine game too. It'd be nice if we could take him off 30 mins from the end of some games to help give him a rest then too.

It's good that he knows he isn't in top top top form, although I'm not sure it'll help his confidence, but it's good that he knows he can do better.

I still stick to my position of "out of everyone that came back after ACON, Ade performed the best"... From Yaya Toure to that Celtic guy that ended up getting blamed for the 3-0 loss by his own teammates in public, I really think that delayed flight back was a blessing in disguise.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/22/tottenham-emmanuel-adebayor-togo-federation

Tottenham's Emmanuel Adebayor blames Togo federation for late return

Emmanuel Adebayor has talked for the first time about the chaos that followed Togo's exit from the Africa Cup of Nations earlier this month,, which delayed his return to Tottenham Hotspur and has compounded what he describes as "one of the toughest seasons of my whole life."

The striker endured uncertainty last summer, as his permanent transfer from Emirates Marketing Project became akin to a saga and, after the £5.5m deal went through in late August, he suffered injury and a red card against his former club, Arsenal, which led to a three-game ban. His domestic season was interrupted further by the Africa Cup of Nations, when he answered a personal plea from the president of Togo to lead the country in South Africa.

Adebayor has scored only three goals for Tottenham this time out, but he is primed for a glorious finale which, he hopes, will also see an old score being settled. The 28-year-old is reviled at Arsenal and he would love to beat them to a Champions League qualifying spot. Tottenham, who visit West Ham United on Monday night, are four points clear of Arsenal in fourth place. Arsenal face Aston Villa at home on Saturday and it is the north London derby at White Hart Lane next Sunday. Tottenham have not finished above Arsenal since 1994-95.

"When I was at Arsenal, my job was to score goals for them but now I'm at Tottenham and I have to help the team finish in the top four," Adebayor said. "We have a big chance this season to finish on top of them and we have to take it.

"You know what happened at the end of a tough race last season [when Tottenham missed out on the Champions League] and we don't want to commit the same mistake. It's getting better every season at Tottenham and we have to find a way, especially me. It's a big opportunity for me to show people I was right to leave Arsenal, which means finishing on top of them. If that's with Tottenham, it's even better."

Adebayor's Togo made history at the Africa Cup of Nations when they reached the quarter-finals for the first time. But they were beaten by Burkina Faso on Sunday 3 February and the defeat was the prompt for a whirlwind five days underpinned, in Adebayor's opinion, by characteristically inept organisation from the Togo Football Federation.

Adebayor had assured Tottenham that he would be back for training on Friday 8 February, in time for the lunchtime Premier League kick-off at home to Saudi Sportswashing Machine the following day. But he did not land at Luton airport until 6pm on the Friday, on a private jet that Tottenham had eventually chartered to bring him back from Togo. As a result he was not deemed ready to start against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, although he came on as a 69th-minute substitute in the 2-1 win.

The Togo president had requested to see the squad in order to congratulate them on their tournament showing but Adebayor said it took them four days to get a flight from South Africa to their home country. "We'd made history by reaching the quarter-finals and I cannot just jump on the plane and come back to my club, because the president of the country wanted to see us," Adebayor said. "I am the captain so I have to be there. Financially I can get a private jet and come back to London [from South Africa] but I could not abandon my team. As captain it's not a good example.

"In South Africa there were no planes to go back home [to Togo]. We went out on the Sunday, then we were trying to find a plane to go to Togo and [after that], go back to London. It took us four days to get a plane. That's not my fault. I can't do anything. I [couldn't] just put something on my body and fly back. When we did get to Togo, the next flight that the club sent for me, I was on it.

"Togo is not Ivory Coast. When they went out of the tournament [on the same day], the president of the federation sent them a plane to get back. In Togo you all know the story. It's not the same."

Adebayor cannot suppress his frustration at the Togolese federation. "I've spoken already about the organisation and I didn't want to go to the tournament because of it," he said. "The president of the country convinced me to go and I was happy to be the captain and everybody was proud of us. But as soon as we were out, the same things happen – organisation. There was nothing organised to take us back home.

"I had to call the president of the country on my own to tell him that we had to go [from South Africa]. He told us to get to the airport at 4pm on Thursday. We did and then we stayed at the airport for more than 10, 12 hours.

"I think people recognise now that, with a little more organisation, we can achieve something. That's what I've said for the last 10 years. You have to concentrate on football but that's not the case with Togo. You have to concentrate on: 'What am I going to eat today? Where am I going to sleep?'"

Adebayor highlighted how European players are able to enjoy weeks off after the European Championship, in contrast to their African counterparts, who must also switch immediately from "30 degree heat to minus three" and contend with changes to "the culture and the food". He said such switches take their toll in physical terms and that he has suffered since.

However, he added that he felt sharper against Lyon in the Europa League on Thursday night, when Mousa Dembélé's late goal carried Tottenham into a last-16 meeting with Internazionale, and he intends to drive an upturn in his personal fortunes over the coming weeks.

"I'm not going to blame it on anybody, I'm going to blame it on myself, because I know I can do better and a lot of people who know me are expecting better," Adebayor said. "But I'm a human being, I've got blood running through my veins like everyone else. You reach a point where you are tired. But I'm getting back to my best. Physically I'm looking better and, when I'm good physically, I know the rest will follow."

There can be no doubting Adebayor's mental toughness and he draws strength from the events that he has lived through, particularly the gun attack on the Togo team bus before the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations.

"I get a tough time but I have to keep going because [it] could have been worse," he said. "I've seen people dying in front of me, I've seen people with guns in front of me. I've also had 30,000 people abusing me [in stadiums]. I take it as part of life. It's true that sometimes, you hear things and think: 'It's a tough one,' but when I go home to my wife and little daughter, they put a smile on my face. They are the only people who make me happy."

I think thats us in his goon days lol :lol:

I'm pleased he has spoken and I hope he fans get behind him. As captain of his country he does have responsibilities, and if he felt obliged to go see the President, well that is what he had to do. We need to cut the guy some slack, especially the idiots who are ready to boo anyone who used to play for the arsenal. He will come good, and when he does, he could make all the difference to our run in.

standout quote there.

The ACN was not a holiday.
Some here would have had Horatio Nelson back after Tenerife for a boxing match.

Indeed it wasn't.

Players who play for European football clubs get their holidays from mid May until early July.

Which means that extra time off in February is not necessary.

I'm pleased he has spoken and I hope he fans get behind him. As captain of his country he does have responsibilities, and if he felt obliged to go see the President, well that is what he had to do. We need to cut the guy some slack, especially the idiots who are ready to boo anyone who used to play for the arsenal. He will come good, and when he does, he could make all the difference to our run in.

Let's hope so. We certainly need him to show last season's early form. Can't see us doing well enough to secure a top 4 place throughout what is a very tricky run in if he doesn't come good.

Agree.

I think Ade is player who needs some cuddling. Despite his poor goalscoring form, we still look a better side with him, as runs the channels and holds the ball up. If AVB keeps building his confidence I'm sure he will come good on the goals at some point. And personally I don't think he is a greedy/mercenary type player. If he has family and friends in Togo he has probably got other stuff to worry about besides football, Togo is not exactly in one of the most politically stable or wealthiest parts of the world

Do people truthfully expect Adebayor to come good during the remaining 12 games? Based on what we've seen from him recently and during the course of the season, not just on blind faith?

I'd be surprised. Defoe frustrates the hell out of me but I find myself counting down the days of his return.

I think Ade is player who needs some cuddling. Despite his poor goalscoring form, we still look a better side with him, as runs the channels and holds the ball up. If AVB keeps building his confidence I'm sure he will come good on the goals at some point. And personally I don't think he is a greedy/mercenary type player. If he has family and friends in Togo he has probably got other stuff to worry about besides football, Togo is not exactly in one of the most politically stable or wealthiest parts of the world

I have never understood this whole fudging cuddling business - heard it from lots of people (so not picking on you or anything). Didnt realise we brought a fudging boy and not a man. The guy is 27/28 he is a fudging MAN. Babies need cuddling. fudges sakes.

Do people truthfully expect Adebayor to come good during the remaining 12 games? Based on what we've seen from him recently and during the course of the season, not just on blind faith?

Not sure about the rest, but I do. AVB's system is only going to suit a special type of striker who is able to play close quarters well centrally, or be comfortable coming in from the wings to score. Not that many around, especially in the EPL. So defoe and ade and 4-5-1 will do for now, with the rest of the goals coming in from the midfield. On that point we need more goals from dembele, lennon, holtby, dempsey and siggy. Don't think anyone is tracking but i think we've been able to hit the woodwork quite a lot of times this season!

Back