• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

:) you know what I mean!

Of course criticisms are good and I'm just countering your view. I think Torres is more than just a dip. Ade missed a fair portion of the season and then has been either sent off or ACN duty. So whilst he's not been great its not so easy just to come in and perform in demand unfortunately. I think the team aren't playing as fluently as last season either

You definitely have a point about the team as a whole.

But that isn't responsible for the ball bouncing off Ade as if he was a pinball kicker or slingshot. His basic technique has been woefully absent this season. We should expect far, far more for £100K+ per week.

Let's examine the results while Ade was in Africa

DREW 1-1 UNITED
LOST 1-2 LEEDS
DREW 1-1 NORWICH
WON 1-0 WBA

Last game was absolutely appalling to watch and we could have been spanked in the first half.

He's been missing for the entire season.
Our performances going downhill have been 100% to with not being able to control the midfield in the absence of Sandro.

This is Bale's freekick to win the game against Lyon

Note Adebayor on the edge of the box, just watching and walking, whilst 4 other players fight their men and sprint in at the goalkeeper to get a rebound.

Yes it was the last minute and many players were tired
Yes it is just one incident
But this is why I say he isn't busting a gut to get a goal, he is not maximising opportunities

Please don't be retarded enough to use the above arguments, I do see them and I do understand.

But there are many examples of crosses, shots, opportunities where he his body is just slack rather than fired up and attacking space.

ibpvwsewlxtctw.gif

Note Adebayor on the edge of the box, just watching and walking, whilst 4 other players fight their men and sprint in at the goalkeeper to get a rebound.

But this is why I say he isn't busting a gut to get a goal, he is not maximising opportunities

Please don't be retarded enough to use the above arguments, I do see them and I do understand.

But there are many examples of crosses, shots, opportunities where he his body is just slack rather than fired up and attacking space.

ibpvwsewlxtctw.gif

He knew. Na that's pretty shocking. He did put a lot of effort into the game

Many posters in this thread are absolutely typical of today's football fans who put unrelentless pressure on the players to perform at the very highest level for every minute for every season.

I would suggest you are being a tad disingenuous. There is a chasm between expecting "players to perform at the very highest level for every minute for every season" and the player that most people on here claimed was our best striker score just 2 league goals all season, and if you do not see the difference more fool you.

Ade's season hasn't really got off the ground. He needs an opportunity to build some momentum.

And who's fault is that if not the player? It was not the manager's fault Ade was not fit at the start of the season or that he got sent off against Arsenal and it was not the manager's fault that he was not professional enough to get his arse back in time to be selected to start against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. He has ample opportunity in both cup and league but he has not delivered.

Perhaps we can't afford this luxury but we also don't have too much of a choice. I think we are completely unrealistic in our expectations most of the time.

Enlighten me on what these unrealistic expectations are? Is it unrealistic to expect more than 2 league goals? Bentekae for instance has 15 goals this season, 11 in the league. Now would it be unrealistic to expect Ade to have a remotely similar return, especially as we are battling for a champions league place while Aston Villa are a very very poor team

Forget about goals for a moment, how about at least try and hold up the ball and show some strength in the air and learn how to control the ball instead of allowing it bounce it of his shin every other time

Last edited:

ibpvwsewlxtctw.gif

Well spotted

Let's examine the results while Ade was in Africa

DREW 1-1 UNITED
LOST 1-2 LEEDS
DREW 1-1 NORWICH
WON 1-0 WBA

Last game was absolutely appalling to watch and we could have been spanked in the first half.

Getting a draw at home to United is hardly an embarassment. It's the least we deserved from that game as a result of our play. Defoe missed chances too so it's not like Ade is the only forward I'm being critical of.

Leeds- No excuses, the team didn't perform.

Norwich- Poor

WBA- Could have been spanked? What game were you watching? They had no more than 2 chances in that half.

Anyway, that's 4 games. How about the rest of the season when he has played? QPR away for example? What did you make of his performance that day?

People might think something else.

Well done for re-writing history.

He missed at least 2 sitters against Sunderland and also had a bad game.

He was woeful against Cov.

He was on the pitch for about 15 minutes against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Bale won us that game.

He missed another great chance against Lyon and although he worked hard, most people at the game would agree he didn't play well.

If a goalie makes 3 howlers but we win 4-3, does that mean we should ignore a bad performance by the keeper?

ibpvwsewlxtctw.gif

Maybe, just maybe that with four players running into the box in case of a short rebound Ade is deliberately there tactically. But then again he's standing right next to his man so not even I, the eternal bleedin' optimist, can't believe that. Sorry for the useless post.

...there is psychology behind a lot of factors as to why maybe a player doesn't perform./QUOTE]

I think you're right that a lot of it's mental with Ade, but that's a major issue in itself.

He's never struck me as someone who's particularly strong mentally and that's a major problem in his career choice. There are some jobs you just don't take if you can't create your own confidence and I think being a footballer is one if them.

I think it's interesting that, once again, differences of opinion are becoming increasingly untolerated in this thread. You're either 'for' or 'against' Ade.
If only life were that simple...

No-one is denying he is in poor goalscoring form, but given the choices we do not have, it is obvious that AVB has found other ways to squeeze contributions from him.
Yes, he isn not attacking he box on that free-kick. This is not enough to damn him to hell for matches gone and matches to come IMO.
And if people don't think he is contributing a single thing, then I'd suggest they look at what the rest of the team is doing and factor in the amount of drudge work Adebayor is currently getting through.

I don't think any of us are stupid enough not to recognise what he ISN'T doing; THAT much is obvious. But it'd be really interesting to see who's prepared to look a little deeper and spot some of the things he HAS been helping with. Unfashionable I know. And no, this does not make me an 'Ade apologist' ;)...I just think head-down witch hunts are tedious and very often flawed...

...there is psychology behind a lot of factors as to why maybe a player doesn't perform./QUOTE]

I think you're right that a lot of it's mental with Ade, but that's a major issue in itself.

He's never struck me as someone who's particularly strong mentally and that's a major problem in his career choice. There are some jobs you just don't take if you can't create your own confidence and I think being a footballer is one if them.

It's why he was a late signing. Was not top of the list, AVB was not sure, took the gamble and is now working with him as best he can.

I think it's interesting that, once again, differences of opinion are becoming increasingly untolerated in this thread. You're either 'for' or 'against' Ade.

No-one is denying he is in poor goalscoring form, but given the choices we do not have, it is obvious that AVB has found other ways to squeeze contributions from him.
Yes, he isn not attacking he box on that free-kick. This is not enough to damn him to hell for matches gone and matches to come IMO.
And if people don't think he is contributing a single thing, then I'd suggest they look at what the rest of the team is doing and factor in the amount of drudge work Adebayor is currently getting through.

I don't think any of us are stupid enough not to recognise what he ISN'T doing; THAT much is obvious. But it'd be really interesting to see who's prepared to look a little deeper and spot some of the things he HAS been helping with. Unfashionable I know. And no, this does not make me an 'Ade apologist' ;)...I just think head-down witch hunts are tedious and very often flawed...

I don't know about that. Seems that onlyme thinks that Ade's playing well.

The thing with Ade is that we all know that he is capable of so much better than he is showing us now. And we are paying him in excess of £100K per week - a monumental amount for our club. So it's not surprising that his poor form is going to generate discussion. His tardy return from Africa didn't help his cause.

Many posters in this thread are absolutely typical of today's football fans who put unrelentless pressure on the players to perform at the very highest level for every minute for every season. We are hungry for success and simply don't tolerate any dip (and yes it is a dip) in form, and demand for the player in question to be dropped. I myself can be guilty of it. But Ade's season hasn't really got off the ground. He needs an opportunity to build some momentum.

Perhaps we can't afford this luxury but we also don't have too much of a choice. I think we are completely unrealistic in our expectations most of the time. Yes I won't disagree he needs to better but some of the garbage I read on my twitter feed from friends, or fellow spurs fans about him not giving a dam, only playing for himself, and a contract is silly. Even Gary Jacobs was saying the same. The pressure is unreal at this level.

We are lacking VDV and Luka, we have a team who take too many touches of the ball before releasing it, making it incredibly difficult for out strikers to find that space in which to operate.

My point is, yes he can do better, but it isn't as simple as him just going off the boil, there is psychology behind a lot of factors as to why maybe a player doesn't perform. The team dynamic. And even a bit of fortune. He just needs to keep working hard and doing what he's good at. Bringing others into the game and being involved himself

Spot on

Onlyme is but other than that you are correct.

In some games when he hasn't scored he has actually played well this season, but overall performance have not been good enough mate.

And that clip Bullet posted is damning tbh. 4 players busting a gut to attack the box, Ade just standing there.

A few of our players have had dips in form recetly, Dembele, Naughton, Parker, Defoe, but no one is excusing those players. And then you have the ACN fiasco. None of us know exactly what happened, but the club having to send a private jet to pick him up doesn't look good.

I honestly think that we are winning in spite of him and mainly because Bale is in truly fantastic form. No worries if you don't agree.

Onlyme is but other than that you are correct.

In some games when he hasn't scored he has actually played well this season, but overall performance have not been good enough mate.

And that clip Bullet posted is damning tbh. 4 players busting a gut to attack the box, Ade just standing there.

A few of our players have had dips in form recetly, Dembele, Naughton, Parker, Defoe, but no one is excusing those players. And then you have the ACN fiasco. None of us know exactly what happened, but the club having to send a private jet to pick him up doesn't look good.

I honestly think that we are winning in spite of him and mainly because Bale is in truly fantastic form. No worries if you don't agree.

A really fair post mate, decent 'other perspective', absolutely agree that the whole ACoN fiasco appears absolutely appalling in terms of his lack of respect, and agree with the bold-face bit above and echo it.

As for the Bale comment, indeed, we are blessed...I have no evidence other than what I'm seeing every game, but I heartily suspect that for the time-being, AVB has the entire side set up to create space for, and supply, Bale precisely due to his stunning form and our lack of forward options. I hope it can last a few more weeks. I'm hoping he can purple-patch it through the rest of the season frankly!!!!

I don't know about that. Seems that onlyme thinks that Ade's playing well.

The thing with Ade is that we all know that he is capable of so much better than he is showing us now. And we are paying him in excess of £100K per week - a monumental amount for our club. So it's not surprising that his poor form is going to generate discussion. His tardy return from Africa didn't help his cause.

Oh I absolutely 100% agree with that mate, discussion for sure...I was just referring to the fact that once again it was all starting to become a bit 'black and white' and 'one side or the other'...and it just isn't that simple in 99% of cases IMO...no, the discussion part has been really interesting and absolutely, his season is well worth a chat!

Back