• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

so you guys would both be happy with a flurry of yellow cards in the opening ten minutes of a derby game and wouldn't be on here moaning about the referee killing the spectacle?

niether do you moan when referees 'refuse to let the game flow' - because of course if it's a foul it's a foul

you think every single point of play the referee should call the decision exactly how it is stated in the rule book at all times with no thought given to circumstance?

be interesting to see how much you stick to that train of thought over the course of a season

Last edited:
so you guys would both be happy with a flurry of yellow cards in the opening ten minutes of a derby game and wouldn't be on here moaning about the referee killing the spectacle?

niether do you moan when referees 'refuse to let the game flow' - because of course if it's a foul it's a foul

you think every single point of play the referee should call the decision exactly how it is stated in the rule book at all times?

If it's a foul, I hope the ref calls it. If the foul deserves a yellow card or a red card, then dish out the necessary punishment. If a foul is clean and one footed, but a bit on the heavy side, then by all means let it slide. You didn't really answer the question as to why the minute a foul occurs in matters? And what do you think when Bale gets hacked down regularly in games early and no cards are shown?

I don't care too much if a ref is "breaking up the flow of the game", I don't want huggy bear refereeing and letting everything go. Chris Foy is the worst for that.

you think every single point of play the referee should call the decision exactly how it is stated in the rule book at all times with no thought given to circumstance?

be interesting to see how much you stick to that train of thought over the course of a season

No I would not be happy with a flurry of yellow cards. I would be tinkled off at the players making the tinkle poor attempts at tackles.

I would be blaming the players.

Letting the game flow is completely different, advantage is perfectly fine, I have no problem with it as long as the referee can remember to go back and have a word/book the player that caused the advantage to occur.

It depends on the circumstances. The game that is being played? No, the only thing that will affect is the mentality of the players and they should be able to control themselves and not go over the top.

If it is tipping it down and the pitch is wet and players are sliding around on it? Then yes, that is a circumstance that the referee should take into account because they are not controlled by the players.

Last edited:
He needs more than a goal.

There exist a specific set of circumstances under which I can see him returning to the form of old.

Firstly, he must score at least a brace, possibly a hat-trick, in a game.
Secondly, those goals must be decisive (i.e, we win that game 3-2, or 2-1).
Thirdly, that game must be at home.
Fourthly, the fans must cheer on his every touch after the first goal goes in.
Fifthly, his team-mates must celebrate with him as they do with Gareth Bale when he scores.
Sixthly, AVB and his team-mates must come out after the game and shower him with praises, 'unplayable' and 'made the difference' being two descriptions that must be bandied around.

Under these circumstances, I can see both his confidence and his enthusiasm returning to some degree, and that's likely to start a snowball effect which could potentially lift his season from disastrous to devastating.

One goal in off his arse from a corner isn't going to cut it.

Confidence is a funny thing, doesn't have to be a specific thing like this. All kinds of small situations can help build (or destroy) confidence.

He was already getting some goals before leaving for the ACN, a goal and progressing out of the group stages there, an almost assist for the winning goal against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Praise from AVB. Seems to me to be on the right track, a goal or two and I think we could see the return of Ade from last season.

If it's a foul, I hope the ref calls it. If the foul deserves a yellow card or a red card, then dish out the necessary punishment. If a foul is clean and one footed, but a bit on the heavy side, then by all means let it slide. You didn't really answer the question as to why the minute a foul occurs in matters? And what do you think when Bale gets hacked down regularly in games early and no cards are shown?

I don't care too much if a ref is "breaking up the flow of the game", I don't want huggy bear refereeing and letting everything go. Chris Foy is the worst for that.

Ive kind of answered why the minute matters in that it's just a case of letting it slide early on and not ruining the game ahead - obviously there are instances where this is not an option but for me the Adebayor challenge was a late and clumsy challenge from a player maybe a bit over pumped for a game against his former team the referee had every right to take the circumstances in to consideration when deciding what to do. - it was not an intentionally aggressive foul or anything like that.
IMV what with it being the first incident from him like this the ref would have been fully justified to give a yellow card and a heavy warning. (personally im a touch unsure whether a red was anything more than a very harsh an OTT call - no matter of the circumstances)

anyway my initial point was that i was happy with the level of 'pumped' that we saw from Adebayor that day (and that i thought the red was v.harsh) so i hope he is at similar levels when we play them at home - in reply to the post you made where you said you were worried about a repeat of the red and wanted Defoe in instead.

Last edited:
Ive kind of answered why the minute matters in that it's just a case of letting it slide early on and not ruining the game ahead - obviously there are instances where this is not an option but for me the Adebayor challenge was a late and clumsy challenge from a player maybe a bit over pumped for a game against his former team the referee had every right to take the circumstances in to consideration when deciding what to do. - it was not an intentionally aggressive foul or anything like that.
IMV what with it being the first incident from him like this the ref would have been fully justified to give a yellow card and a heavy warning. (personally im a touch unsure whether a red was anything more than a very harsh an OTT call - no matter of the circumstances)

anyway my initial point was that i was happy with the level of 'pumped' that we saw from Adebayor that day (and that i thought the red was v.harsh) so i hope he is at similar levels when we play them at home - in reply to the post you made where you said you were worried about a repeat of the red and wanted Defoe in instead.

I think it was a correct sending off.

I'm not particularly worried about him repeating that though as I imagine he's capable of learning from a mistake like that. It's not like he's consistently losing his temper, getting into trouble and getting sent off in big matches like some players.

No I would not be happy with a flurry of yellow cards. I would be tinkled off at the players making the tinkle poor attempts at tackles.

I would be blaming the players.

Letting the game flow is completely different, advantage is perfectly fine, I have no problem with it as long as the referee can remember to go back and have a word/book the player that caused the advantage to occur.

It depends on the circumstances. The game that is being played? No, the only thing that will affect is the mentality of the players and they should be able to control themselves and not go over the top.

If it is tipping it down and the pitch is wet and players are sliding around on it? Then yes, that is a circumstance that the referee should take into account because they are not controlled by the players.

fair reply.

Im still of the opinion that the ref should give some consideration to the circumstances i mentioned earlier though.

But the red card came after about 20 minutes is that right? How long into a game do you have to wait until you can say it's ok, enough time has passed for you send someone off now? We have different views on this so I'll leave it there.

Adebayor is an emotional guy and takes things to heart as everybody saw when he ran the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of them when he played for Emirates Marketing Project. I would personally like to see Defoe start, then maybe bring Adebayor on in the 2nd half, that way, if he doe get into trouble, we don't have to play 70+ minutes with 10 men.

I don't think it was a red. There was no intent to injure, he was going for the ball which just got nicked away from him. The crowd were baying for his blood and Webb rose to the challenge over by the touchline in front of a few thousand screaming gooner inbreds.

A yellow card would have seen him have to calm the hell down and allow the game to proceed with eleven v eleven. Instead Webb ruined it after 20 minutes and we got over-run.

In the NLD I'd like to have Defoe come off the bench on 60 mins if needed but Ade's height could be decisive.

I agree with a previous post that this will be AvB's biggest test so far in terms of man management. Figure out this mess and he can sort out any player's head.

I thought the referee bowed to unrelenting pressure from the crowd and the immediate goons around the incident. It was clearly a clumsy challenge and clearly silly. Wreckless? He didn't exactly pump his foot at full pelt towards Carzola, he tried to get a piece of the ball and the player was not only too quick, he took minimal contact on the bottom of his boot but hit the deck like he'd been snipered and rolled a few times for maximum effect. Wheelchair was right in shooting his mouth off, Bale went over to be there for Adebayor and Wheelchair shoved him, the crowd were screaming for it because they fudging knew. Cazorla rolled and rolled for it because he knew it was there for the taking, and Webb gave in.

I suppose the alternate view would be that had Webb only given a yellow, there would've been another flashpoint in minutes, because the goons had obviously figured out this was their only route back into the game. They were being outplayed and this offered them the space they needed. And if I was a gooner scout who'd been at eastlands the previous weekend, I'd have reminded my side that Ade was emotionally volatile and to really goad him/push him/wind him up/make any incident involving him a massive one.

I think if I'd seen subsequent challenges get the same punishment I'd feel better about it, but I've seen far worse go as yellows (Cabaye's at the weekend, Sidwell's attempt to garotte Bale at CC which resulted in Bale getting booked for diving!)...

Ade HAS to play the derby, and I can feel it, he will not be on the losing side.

Agree with nearly all of this...the one thing I would say is that AFTER he scored, I'd have absolutely wanted someone to have a quick word in his ear to remind him he was winning, it was all good and to keep his emotions in check. Especially after City where he had to be subbed as he was close to a sending-off! In that sense we really missed the experience and nous of both Daws and Parker.
Both will play in this derby I'm sure, and both will be on hand to LEAD in that sense and to remind those who look like they could get led astray...

have to say that there was a lot of dramatization by carzola too. he was in the air so there was no hard surface to strike his foot against, his tumble and rolling on the ground at such high speed would have only been possible if his entire body was frozen solid when struck by Ade.

adebayor.gif

I thought the referee bowed to unrelenting pressure from the crowd and the immediate goons around the incident. It was clearly a clumsy challenge and clearly silly. Wreckless? He didn't exactly pump his foot at full pelt towards Carzola, he tried to get a piece of the ball and the player was not only too quick, he took minimal contact on the bottom of his boot but hit the deck like he'd been snipered and rolled a few times for maximum effect. Wheelchair was right in shooting his mouth off, Bale went over to be there for Adebayor and Wheelchair shoved him, the crowd were screaming for it because they fudging knew. Cazorla rolled and rolled for it because he knew it was there for the taking, and Webb gave in.

I suppose the alternate view would be that had Webb only given a yellow, there would've been another flashpoint in minutes, because the goons had obviously figured out this was their only route back into the game. They were being outplayed and this offered them the space they needed. And if I was a gooner scout who'd been at eastlands the previous weekend, I'd have reminded my side that Ade was emotionally volatile and to really goad him/push him/wind him up/make any incident involving him a massive one.

I think if I'd seen subsequent challenges get the same punishment I'd feel better about it, but I've seen far worse go as yellows (Cabaye's at the weekend, Sidwell's attempt to garotte Bale at CC which resulted in Bale getting booked for diving!)...

Ade HAS to play the derby, and I can feel it, he will not be on the losing side.

No doubt Wheelchair knew what he was doing, but your comments about Cazorla, we've seen Bale roll around with less contact so a bit unfair to castigate him.

To be honest I can't fathom that people don't think that is a red! If someone did that to Bale, we'd be screaming for him to get sent off!

Agree. Stupid, stupid challenge, and the red was fully deserved. It's a bloody karate kick, studs up, straight leg and very dangerous. I really can't see how anyone can complain about this particular sending off.

glasses? Spurs tinted industrial telescopes! it's a stonewall red card.

:lol: If someone had put in that challenge on Bale, we'd still be burning effigies of the player right now. Adebayor is lucky that Cazorla wasn't standing on that leg.

Back